SoCZ3k

Running exe project

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:12 pm

Hello, i want to ask about our project. We want to put exe file and MySql database on raspberry and start it on another computer. Which OS is the best to use, is it even possible and how can i do it? Thanks!

W. H. Heydt

Re: Running exe project

Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:10 pm

".exe" executables are specific to Windows and--more importantly--to the x86 architecture. If you have the source code and it is in a suitable language, you should--with some work--be able to compile it to run on a Pi under Linux, otherwise, you'll need at least an x86 simulator and at worst a Windows system call translator. In any case, the program will run very, very slowly if you have to do it that way.

As for operating system...unless you have specific knowledge and reason to pick something else, use Raspbian. It has the best support for the Pi of any OS that will run on a Pi.

What I would suggest you do to start with is to set your Pi up running Raspbian and start working with it and particularly MySQL (MariaDB these days, actually). If you are planning to use some item of commercial software, people may be able to suggest Linux-based substitutes that are already available for the Pi. (I am presuming from the way the original question was phrased that you have been working with Windows systems.)

thagrol

Re: Running exe project

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:21 pm

OP wants to "start [the .exe] on another computer" so as long as that computer can run the .exe the ARM vs intel/ Windows vs linux stuff is irrelevant.

Raspbian with MySQL and Samba should do the job (MySQL for the database, samba to provide access over the network to the .exe).

Hit google for tutorials on setting this up but be aware that the .exe must allow the database to be on a different PC to the one it is running on.

Return to “General discussion”