tttttmmmmm

Horrible experience trying to get into pi BUYER BEWARE

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:55 am

This massive headache of a product experience started about 2-3 years ago.
I had attended a class somewhere about raspberry pi and how to program with it, I was fascinated and decided to get one.

To make sure I got the best and easiest experience as possible, I decided to get all factory parts, the power brick, the sd card pre installed with the software, the WiFi dongle, even the box to house the pi in, all from the pi website, and all imported to the U.S.

Get it all, set it up, and immediately had problems, the two biggest ones happen to be that I am unable to use WiFi, and that I am unable to get any usb drive to mount, either automatically in the GUI, or manually in the terminal.

I have tried different drives, different brands, everything, even the usb drives supplied with the class I took wouldn’t work, and they mounted automatically on their pi devices but not on mine, nothing works.

It shows up with the manufacturer info in the terminal, but I cannot access any data.

I have tried all the mounting commands that I have found here on the forums.

Also, the support staff have been nonexistent, taking weeks to get back to me.
And when they do get back to me, they were not helpful at all, and would not offer a refund or exchange because I did say I can see the manufacturer data in the terminal, so they claim it is not a hardware defect, but a software one.

I think otherwise, as I bought the micro sd card pre loaded with the software from them, and even reloaded the software on the card, still nothing, then got a different sd card, still nothing.

I am out of ideas at this point, and I am about to throw this pile of garbage in the trash. Hopefully anyone considering buying one of these sees this post, and sees my experiences, and if anything can take away from this that you are on your own if you have problems.

joan

Re: Horrible experience trying to get into pi BUYER BEWARE

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:10 am

Could you edit your post and break it up into paragraphs?

Doing that will make it much easier to read and understand.

jahboater

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:15 am

tttttmmmmm wrote:
I am out of ideas at this point, and I am about to throw this pile of garbage in the trash. Hopefully anyone considering buying one of these sees this post, and sees my experiences, and if anything can take away from this that you are on your own if you have problems.
Bear in mind that about 17 million people happily and productively use these things - and draw the obvious conclusion.

RaTTuS

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:19 am

what have you tried and what does not work exactly
we're not all physic

if it boots then it's working
if not then
viewtopic.php?f=28&t=58151

what drives are you using
post links to all

what power supplies for the drives if any
post links

what do tyhe logs say
what does
dmesg say

waiting 2 or 3 years to start reporting a problem is not the best way
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:20 am

Ok, so you bought a RaspberryPi three year ago, and this is your first post to our support forum, so I am not sure what you have been trying to get support prior to this. This is the correct place for support. Raspberry pi don't have specific support staff, this community supported forum is where you can get the support you might need.

So, it's a bit difficult to fathom out your specific problems from your post. So let's start from the beginning. Which version of pi do you have, which version of OS are you running. We always recommend using the latest version from our website. Once you are running the latest Is we can try and sort out your other problems.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

davidcoton

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:25 am

You've now found the right place for support.

BUT you need to describe clearly and carefully the context and the actual problems. For starters:
  1. What model of Pi?
  2. What operating system? With or without NOOBS, PINN, or Berryboot?
  3. What did you try (in detail)?
  4. What did you expect to happen (in the cases you quote this is already apparent)?
  5. What actually happened, including verbatim error messages?
Remember that almost everyone here is a volunteer, so stay calm and don't rant -- it stops people answering.
"Thanks for saving my life." See https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1327656#p1327656
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”

jahboater

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:26 am

The Pi Zero W and the Pi3 both have built-in WiFi which obviously should "just work" (I mean no drivers are needed, you still have to configure it correctly).

fruitoftheloom

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:27 am

tttttmmmmm wrote:
This massive headache of a product experience started about 2-3 years ago. I had attended a class somewhere about raspberry pi and how to program with it, I was fascinated and decided to get one. To make sure I got the best and easiest experience as possible, I decided to get all factory parts, the power brick, the sd card pre installed with the software, the WiFi dongle, even the box to house the pi in, all from the pi website, and all imported to the U.S. Get it all, set it up, and immediately had problems, the two biggest ones happen to be that I am unable to use WiFi, and that I am unable to get any usb drive to mount, either automatically in the GUI, or manually in the terminal. I have tried different drives, different brands, everything, even the usb drives supplied with the class I took wouldn’t work, and they mounted automatically on their pi devices but not on mine, nothing works. It shows up with the manufacturer info in the terminal, but I cannot access any data. I have tried all the mounting commands that I have found here on the forums. Also, the support staff have been nonexistent, taking weeks to get back to me. And when they do get back to me, they were not helpful at all, and would not offer a refund or exchange because I did say I can see the manufacturer data in the terminal, so they claim it is not a hardware defect, but a software one. I think otherwise, as I bought the micro sd card pre loaded with the software from them, and even reloaded the software on the card, still nothing, then got a different sd card, still nothing. I am out of ideas at this point, and I am about to throw this pile of garbage in the trash. Hopefully anyone considering buying one of these sees this post, and sees my experiences, and if anything can take away from this that you are on your own if you have problems.

Why did you have to import ? USA have Raspberry Pi Authorised Distributors !
Adieu

Heater

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:46 am

Guys, I don't think this post is genuine.

Look at it, first post from new user, a user name chosen without care, no useful facts given, the literacy one my expect from a SPAM post.

In case anyone had the patience to read to the end I would like to point out that the Pi is not " pile of garbage " it is a quality product. Both hardware and software.

Further the statement that " if anything can take away from this that you are on your own if you have problems." Is clearly not true. There is a lot of help available on this forum. The internet is awash with tutorials, blogs, examples related to the Pi.

In case you are real, tttttmmmmm , please pick one of your issues and ask about it, giving all possible information. Be prepared to provide further info if asked. Unless you Pi is for some unlikely reason defective I'm sure the issue can be fixed.

Then we can move on to the next issue.
Last edited by Heater on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikerr

Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:53 am

He's just frustrated ... we're stuck without more info though.

My guess is that the non-working USB drives are formatted with NTFS, not FAT32
Solution is either format as FAT32, or install NTFS support:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install ntfs-3g
Using latest image from here will help too ( a 2-3 year old image is likely wheezy, not the latest) :

https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

Gavinmc42

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:13 am

I feel the same way sometimes with the Pi Zero W :lol:
I will figure it out one day, maybe even this year :lol:

Seriously, Pi and Linux, from zero, it is like eating an elephant, a little bit at a time.
Hey, some people have eaten whole cars, elephants are easy.

But yes this could be spam
Not all of us are sane all the time either ;)
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

Burngate

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 am

So, a little help from a friend ...
tttttmmmmm wrote:

I had attended a class somewhere about raspberry pi and how to program with it, I was fascinated and decided to get one.
To make sure I got the best and easiest experience as possible, I decided to get all factory parts, the power brick, the sd card pre installed with the software, the WiFi dongle, even the box to house the pi in, all from the pi website, and all imported to the U.S.
Get it all, set it up, and immediately had problems, the two biggest ones happen to be that I am unable to use WiFi, and that I am unable to get any usb drive to mount, either automatically in the GUI, or manually in the terminal.

I have tried different drives, different brands, everything, even the usb drives supplied with the class I took wouldn’t work, and they mounted automatically on their pi devices but not on mine, nothing works. It shows up with the manufacturer info in the terminal, but I cannot access any data. I have tried all the mounting commands that I have found here on the forums.

Also, the support staff have been nonexistent, taking weeks to get back to me. And when they do get back to me, they were not helpful at all, and would not offer a refund or exchange because I did say I can see the manufacturer data in the terminal, so they claim it is not a hardware defect, but a software one. I think otherwise, as I bought the micro sd card pre loaded with the software from them, and even reloaded the software on the card, still nothing, then got a different sd card, still nothing.

2-3 years ago would have been a B+ or 2B.
The "sd card pre installed with the software" could have been out-dated - happened a lot, apparently, and probably still does.

The whereabouts of the "somewhere" that hosted the class might be relevant, as would the software that might be on "the usb drives supplied with the class"
I'd also be interested to know what "manufacturer data" is shown in the terminal.
Last edited by Burngate on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Heater

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:24 am

Certainly tackling Linux from scratch is a big challenge.

On the the other hand, the instructions for getting a Pi up and running on the raspberrpi web site are very clear and if you follow them it does work.

I do doubt the sanity of people with pink fluffy unicorns dancing on rainbows as their avatar :)

jamesh

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:29 am

Keep on topic please.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:43 am

Made the OP's post a bit more readable by breaking it up a bit.
Somehow I did not get the impression he would come back to do it himself.

HawaiianPi

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:45 am

What kind of a class was the OP participating in that would not help him out with problems? This whole post smells awfully fishy.

But in case it is real, then this is the place to get help.

What model Raspberry Pi computer do you have?

What is the make/model of the WiFi dongle?

What is the make/model/size of the SD card?

Start by getting the latest Raspbian image from https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/
Download Raspbian Stretch with Desktop if you have at least an 8GB card (4GB is too small for the Desktop image, but you could install the Lite image to a 4GB card).

Also grab the Etcher software from https://etcher.io/
Install Etcher and use it to write the image to your SD card. You don't need to format the SD card or extract the image, Etcher will do that for you when writing the card. Just choose the Raspbian .zip file, select your SD card and write it. If you have trouble verify the SHA256 checksum of the download.

Although I don't think we'll get any answers. The OP didn't actually ask for help. That post is either troll bait, or someone so frustrated that they will likely throw their Pi in the trash bin and never return to it or this forum for actual help.
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Heater

Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:51 am

Thank's for making the OP's post legible.

Reading it again I see this:

"I decided to get all factory parts, the power brick, the sd card pre installed with the software, the WiFi dongle, even the box to house the pi in, all from the pi website, and all imported to the U.S. "

Well, that cannot be true. You cannot buy any of that stuff from the raspberrypi.org website.

I really don't think this post is genuine.

BlackKnight_UK

Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:04 pm

tttttmmmmm wrote:
I'm certain that most "normal" people wouldn't wait 2-3 years before slagging off a product on its website if they had the problems this person did.

jamesh

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:49 pm

As posts go it is pretty odd, although being left open in case the poster comes back for help.

Meanwhile, I'd suggest ignoring the thread unless you can help.

If it is a troll post, one does have to wonder why, or what is hoped to be achieved.

jamesh

Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:05 pm

Hmm, stayed around for precisely one post.

Troll.

MattHawkinsUK

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:36 pm

It's a poor attempt at trolling. When the competition can't even troll properly you have to wonder how good they are at electronic design and engineering.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

Ronaldlees

Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:52 pm

MattHawkinsUK wrote:
Mon Jan 08, 2018 2:36 pm
It's a poor attempt at trolling. When the competition can't even troll properly you have to wonder how good they are at electronic design and engineering.
I can't help but thinking the same thing, albeit the post could still be genuine, and somebody (perhaps not very tech oriented) - who is simply frustrated.

Slamming the competition on review columns and forums has become quite the annoyance. On Amazon, it seems the first five reviews often are suspect - (at least relative to the kind of stuff I typically look for on that site). Trolling has moved into the corporate counter weapon arena, sadly. OTOH, this guy may just need a little guidance, which he may get, if he bothers to check into the forum again.
I am the Umbrella man: IR3/IR5 UV a/b/c OTS specs: break free, live life. Note that red cannot be seen with IR lenses, so cross at stop lights only on white walk signals, don't drive or operate machinery with lenses on, and don't use in low light.

Return to “General discussion”