SAMMYVL

Installing Software

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:15 pm

I am wondering if you can only download and use the software that is in the menu for installing or uninstalling software. Also if I download something of the web browser, it makes me select an application or write a command line in order to run it. What do I do?!?

Thanks!

DougieLawson

Re: Installing Software

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:27 pm

Most downloadable software isn't built for the Raspberry Pi ARM processor. Most stuff is for Intel X86_64 processors. So unless you can build it from source, or it runs as a scripting language or it uses a Java virtual machine you have a cat in hell's chance of getting it to run.

This has to be the #1 most FAQ on here.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:32 pm

SAMMYVL wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:15 pm
I am wondering if you can only download and use the software that is in the menu for installing or uninstalling software. Also if I download something of the web browser, it makes me select an application or write a command line in order to run it. What do I do?!?

Thanks!

Presuming you are using Raspbian then probably Synaptic Package Manager GUI is what you need:

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install synaptic

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/action.html
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

SAMMYVL

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:43 pm

How does synaptic work though, and how does it help?

fruitoftheloom

Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:48 pm

SAMMYVL wrote:
Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:43 pm
How does synaptic work though, and how does it help?

http://www.nongnu.org/synaptic/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 31, 2017 12:03 am

Like Linux itself, most software for Raspbian (a Linux based operating system) is not of a commercial nature.
Its written (or converted to Linux) by volunteers, then distributed (free of charge) through the use of software repositories, and specially tailored for the systems that use these repositories. thats why you can be sure that software in the repository for your system is suitable, tested, and working.
In case of raspbian, someone (some group of people) has re-compiled all the programs in such a repository (the one created for Debian Linux) into code suitable for the ARM CPU used in the raspberry PI, some 15.000 programs, with new ones added daily.

installing software on a linux system is *always* (almost always) done through the use of the linux software installer system, called apt-get (at least when using a "debian based" linux distribution, with Linux there almost always multiple options)).
this means that (with apt-get) you can always update, or un-install such software, as apt-get keeps track of everything.
synaptic is simply a shell, (helping program) to make choosing what to install easier, but its not for NOOBS, that is why many linux systems also have an easy menu system for choosing what you want to install. but behind that menu system the work is done by apt-get.

Roken

Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:20 pm

Building from source is not difficult IF:

The necessary libraries have already been ported
you have the right build environment
You are patient

if any condition is not met, then you will either need programming knowledge or be able to build associated dependencies.

In many cases, it's as simple as

Code: Select all

make
Headless PI. OMG, someone cut it's head off. Oh, hang on. it didn't have one to start with.

Heater

Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:14 pm

mahjongg,
installing software on a linux system is *always* done through the use of the linux software installer system, called apt-get.
Always?

Certainly not if you are using a distro that is not based on/derived from Debian.

A lot of software I use everyday comes as precompiled tar balls from the vendor. If they are kind enough to support your architecture. For example the Go language, node.js.

Others I build from source. For example Cockroachdb.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Dec 31, 2017 11:53 pm

Yes, there are Linux systems that use other installers, and yes you can build software from source-code, but even then (on Raspbian) it is still installed with the software installer. But yeah, for every "rule" there are always exceptions, but you have to start with the most common situation, to keep it simple enough for new users.

Return to “General discussion”