Page 1 of 1

DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:34 am
by yingyong25
I need a new 5 inch dsi screen. any suggestions :?: 8-) ??

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:31 pm
by W. H. Heydt
They don't exist. The only screen made to attach to the Pi DSI connector is the RPF 7" touchscreen. A 5" screen might connect to the GPIO block, but are--I think--somewhat more likely to use the HDMI connection.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 pm
by yingyong25
ok well whay else is there??? :?:

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:20 pm
by Imperf3kt
That uses DSI?
Nothing other than the official 7 inch screen. And it doesn't look like there ever will be at this point.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm
by Robot Doktoru
i found this:
5'' 800x480 TFT Raspberry Pi DSI Touchscreen(Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+)
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1784.html

seems good but i cant find seller for now.

if anyone is find please share us

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am
by enotsz
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm
i found this:
5'' 800x480 TFT Raspberry Pi DSI Touchscreen(Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+)
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1784.html

seems good but i cant find seller for now.

if anyone is find please share us
Do you found anyone that have used that screen? does it work as advertised? can you share more information?

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 pm
by Imperf3kt
I wonder how they got access to the closed source drivers required???

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 pm
by Robot Doktoru
enotsz wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm
i found this:
5'' 800x480 TFT Raspberry Pi DSI Touchscreen(Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+)
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1784.html

seems good but i cant find seller for now.

if anyone is find please share us
Do you found anyone that have used that screen? does it work as advertised? can you share more information?
No one found for now.

only two people seem have bought on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DFRobot ... 68326.html

from Greece and Philippines. without any feedback yet (how we can find they?? :) )
I dont know more information.
i am searching for buy. but i dont need hurry.

mouser pre ordering this part. And seem ordered 21 people is waiting for delivery
https://www.mouser.com.tr/ProductDetail ... UG3g%3d%3d

this part maybe have problems. why aliexpress seller turn off part and delayed-slow orders on mouser.

i will ask dfrobot and aliexpress seller.
if you (or anyone) can find more information, please share here.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 pm
by Robot Doktoru
Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 pm
I wonder how they got access to the closed source drivers required???
i think they are do reverse engineering(China's best of do :lol: ).
hardest point is resolution and it is same with 7" orginal device. only different is screen size. it is not so hard after cloning DSI communication using signal spectrum analyzer etc.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am
by Imperf3kt
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 pm
I wonder how they got access to the closed source drivers required???
i think they are do reverse engineering(China's best of do :lol: ).
hardest point is resolution and it is same with 7" orginal device. only different is screen size. it is not so hard after cloning DSI communication using signal spectrum analyzer etc.
In which case I'm extremely interested in this screen, but do not think it legal.

It's possible they have a license from Broadcom, but I doubt it.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:13 am
by Robot Doktoru
Good news!

aliexpres seller restarted the selling, after my asking.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 11:34 am
by laurent
Very interesting, thanks.
I hope the foundation has a such screen on their roadmap. The form factor and price are just perfect.
The only drawback I see is the backlight, controlled by a potentiometer. I would rather prefer a software backlight control.
I wonder if the power consumption through the DSI interface is not a bit out of spec.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm
by chwe
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 9:32 pm
I wonder how they got access to the closed source drivers required???
i think they are do reverse engineering(China's best of do :lol: ).
hardest point is resolution and it is same with 7" orginal device. only different is screen size. it is not so hard after cloning DSI communication using signal spectrum analyzer etc.
In which case I'm extremely interested in this screen, but do not think it legal.

It's possible they have a license from Broadcom, but I doubt it.

you guys know that MIPI DSI is a standard? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Serial_Interface

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:19 pm
by Imperf3kt
chwe wrote:
Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:27 pm
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 am
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:24 pm


i think they are do reverse engineering(China's best of do :lol: ).
hardest point is resolution and it is same with 7" orginal device. only different is screen size. it is not so hard after cloning DSI communication using signal spectrum analyzer etc.
In which case I'm extremely interested in this screen, but do not think it legal.

It's possible they have a license from Broadcom, but I doubt it.

you guys know that MIPI DSI is a standard? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_Serial_Interface
Sure, but the VC4 which is what drives that mipi connector on a Pi, is closed source and as far as I am aware, only RPF has a license to use it.
There's a reason only one screen in existence could be used with the DSI connector on a Pi, until very recently. It took about six years for the second screen to exist.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Fri Apr 26, 2019 9:05 pm
by mobyfab
This screen module uses a DSI to DPI bridge such as the ssd2825 and an stm32 that talks to it.

I found the schematic here: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ardui ... ematic.pdf

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:59 pm
by Robot Doktoru
dfrobot started sell again.
I ordered one part on dfrobot.
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:06 pm
enotsz wrote:
Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:08 am
Robot Doktoru wrote:
Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:21 pm
i found this:
5'' 800x480 TFT Raspberry Pi DSI Touchscreen(Compatible with Raspberry Pi 3B/3B+)
https://www.dfrobot.com/product-1784.html

seems good but i cant find seller for now.

if anyone is find please share us
Do you found anyone that have used that screen? does it work as advertised? can you share more information?
No one found for now.

only two people seem have bought on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DFRobot ... 68326.html

from Greece and Philippines. without any feedback yet (how we can find they?? :) )
I dont know more information.
i am searching for buy. but i dont need hurry.

mouser pre ordering this part. And seem ordered 21 people is waiting for delivery
https://www.mouser.com.tr/ProductDetail ... UG3g%3d%3d

this part maybe have problems. why aliexpress seller turn off part and delayed-slow orders on mouser.

i will ask dfrobot and aliexpress seller.
if you (or anyone) can find more information, please share here.

Re: DSI 5 inch screen

Posted: Mon May 25, 2020 7:45 pm
by proteanman