grumpyoldgit

Re: sales date?

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:14 pm

Wall Street Journal says that RasPi not on sale until mid 2012 and a waiting list of 10,000.

http://blogs.wsj.com/tech-euro.....-for-2000/

netomx

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:15 pm

samcrawford said:

netomx said:

I am ready Have a 4GB SD ready, 1 HDMI cable, and a 12V voltage

Then you've got 7V too many!

Damn, I thought it was 12V ... well I have several 5V laying in my room

igu

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:25 pm

An micro SD card in a SD slot, will work?

Or it has to be a usual SD card?

netomx

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:27 pm

igu said:

An micro SD card in a SD slot, will work?

Or it has to be a usual SD card?

you need the Micro to SD adapter, but yes, it will work.

lworbey

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:30 pm

Well if you have one of those SD cards that lets you plug in a microSD (as I will be using) then it should be fine but otherwise it will be too small for the slot...

RaTTuS

Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:31 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Wall Street Journal says that RasPi not on sale until mid 2012 and a waiting list of 10,000.

that will be the one with a case and manwell .... 
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Tomo2k

Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:31 pm

RaTTuS said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

No, I would guess that their subeditors are on holiday and nobody is doing any fact checking.

I've seen rather a lot of really, really dodgy (and outright wrong) journalism over this Christmas/New Year period. Some of these formally worthwhile publications are worse than blogs these days

Robert Mullins has been in touch with them to correct some of the more glaring errors, but it's still wrong.

adlambert

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:09 pm

JamesH said:

You email suggestions would be completely impossible to implement – 7000 emails in one go? Ouch.

That not impossible, not even unusual. Some direct marketing companies would consider that to be a small number.

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:29 pm

RaTTuS said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

He's not involved is he?  ¿Que?

BASIL!!!!!!
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

cnxsoft

Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:53 am

RaTTuS said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

oh oh... The article mentions "The mailing list has some 50,000 people on it". It will be a struggle to get one in the first 10,000 batch especially if you are in the wrong time zone...

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:06 pm

cnxsoft said:

oh oh... The article mentions "The mailing list has some 50,000 people on it". It will be a struggle to get one in the first 10,000 batch especially if you are in the wrong time zone...

Well, Liz tends to post announcements between 22:00 and 24:00 GMT, so thats the time I'd start looking for the Pi Shoppe to go live. Otherwise, the PC is going to be on 24/7 with the mail box watcher ready with a loud squalk!  Knowing my luck, I'll be away from a PC when it happens. 

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:14 pm

adlambert said:

JamesH said:

You email suggestions would be completely impossible to implement – 7000 emails in one go? Ouch.

That not impossible, not even unusual. Some direct marketing companies would consider that to be a small number.

Those would be the people set up to handle such a scheme. Which the Foundation isn't. Imagine Liz, sitting behind a computer, trying to cope with the in flux of all those emails, having to time them for 24hrs etc to see who really wants one. Yes, if you have the right systems in place, not so bad. But you need the systems and they cost.

So much easier and cheaper just to have a shop and first come first served.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

walney

Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:40 pm

Jongoleur said:

Well, Liz tends to post announcements between 22:00 and 24:00 GMT, so thats the time I'd start looking for the Pi Shoppe to go live...

Does that make her Mrs Miggins, I wonder?

adlambert

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:25 pm

JamesH said:

adlambert said:

JamesH said:

Those would be the people set up to handle such a scheme. Which the Foundation isn't. Imagine Liz, sitting behind a computer, trying to cope with the in flux of all those emails, having to time them for 24hrs etc to see who really wants one. Yes, if you have the right systems in place, not so bad. But you need the systems and they cost.

Yes, of course that would be hard work for Liz. But I doubt Liz is going to be sitting packing R-Pis into jiffy bags and writing addresses on them either. If fulfilment, as I understand it, has been outsourced to a 3rd party then that 3rd party would indeed be set up to handle such schemes. Of course it's so much cheaper to have first come first served, but "so much easier and cheaper" is a world apart from your original assertion of "completely impossible".

jamesh

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:42 pm

adlambert said:

JamesH said:

adlambert said:

JamesH said:

Yes, of course that would be hard work for Liz. But I doubt Liz is going to be sitting packing R-Pis into jiffy bags and writing addresses on them either. If fulfilment, as I understand it, has been outsourced to a 3rd party then that 3rd party would indeed be set up to handle such schemes. Of course it's so much cheaper to have first come first served, but "so much easier and cheaper" is a world apart from your original assertion of "completely impossible".

Well, its completely impossible if you don't have the money to set the scheme up with the fulfilment house.

Anyway, enough hair picking. It's first come first served. It just means you don't get to queue outside the Apple store.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

Jongoleur

Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:56 pm

JamesH said:

Anyway, enough hair picking. It's first come first served. It just means you don't get to queue outside the Apple store.

We don't?  Well there's a relief!

Anyhow, I'd have thought an Apple store would be the last place to get a piece of Raspberry Pi.....

mc349

Fri Jan 06, 2012 5:28 pm

I've been trying to work out what one of these is going to actually cost in the UK...

$35 RaspPi  = approx £23

Shipping+ Packaging+Handling £4  (just a guess)

Credit Card Processing Fees etc.  £1  (just a guess)

VAT @ 20%  = £5.60

Giving a total of approx £34

The $25 PI would come in at approx £25

Anyone know if I'm far off with these estimates?

jamesh

Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:26 pm

mc349 said:

I've been trying to work out what one of these is going to actually cost in the UK...

$35 RaspPi  = approx £23

Shipping+ Packaging+Handling £4  (just a guess)

Credit Card Processing Fees etc.  £1  (just a guess)

VAT @ 20%  = £5.60

Giving a total of approx £34

The $25 PI would come in at approx £25

Anyone know if I'm far off with these estimates?

I dont know whether there will be a CC fee, or whether shipping will cost that much, but I guess that's going to be in the ballpark.

Jessie

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:08 am

JamesH said:

Well, its completely impossible if you don't have the money to set the scheme up with the fulfilment house.

I don't get what the big deal is about the 1st come first served.  I'm sure as the foundation starts bringing in money there will be more options, but for now that is just how it is.

Everyone wants these people to do this or that just to add a little conveinance for them.  I'm supposing that many of them don't realize how much time, and personal money the foundation members put into this charity, not to mention the risk envolved.

There is a saying "no good deed goes un-punished."  That is what I think of when I read many of these threads.

Grogs

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:23 am

Ideally, I think sales should be limited to one per person (by address [probably can't store/remember credit card]), at least for the first 24 hours.

Jessie

Sat Jan 07, 2012 6:48 am

Grogs said:

Ideally, I think sales should be limited to one per person (by address [probably can't store/remember credit card]), at least for the first 24 hours.

They are limiting them to 1 per address until the demand dies down.  So I imagine the first few batches will be like that and then it will open up.  I want to gift a few so hopfully within a couple months that restriction will be lifted.

SteveDee

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:08 am

mc349 said:-

I've been trying to work out what one of these is going to actually cost in the UK…

Good point, the distribution costs could be significant, and how will this be handled? Will it be a couple of Foundation members packing them, then taking the packages to the post office? Or will a shipping company be employed?

The original BBC headline that caught my eye was "Can a £15 computer solve the programming gap?". So the long term aim should be to stick close to that figure, at least for schools & other educational organisations. It would be interesting to know how the original estimates ($25 & $35) were arrived at. Did they include distribution costs?

I think if there is a high demand for the first batch, then maybe they should be sold at a higher price to whoever is desperate to get their hands on them. I'll be happy to step back and wait for the 2nd or 3rd batches to arrive (...rather than spend a night in my sleeping bag!).

Grogs said:-

Ideally, I think sales should be limited to one per person...

Allowing multiple quantities (rather than a "1 per customer" policy) should help keep the unit cost down.

If R-Pi does make an impact, I wonder whether we will see parallels with the OLPC project?

If the real cost of ownership of R-Pi rises to (say) £40, then we might see an Intel/Microsoft module appearing for a similar price. You can buy an Intel Atom board for less than £60, although this does not include memory (at the moment).

jamesh

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:41 am

SteveDee said:

mc349 said:-

I've been trying to work out what one of these is going to actually cost in the UK…

Good point, the distribution costs could be significant, and how will this be handled? Will it be a couple of Foundation members packing them, then taking the packages to the post office? Or will a shipping company be employed?

The original BBC headline that caught my eye was "Can a £15 computer solve the programming gap?". So the long term aim should be to stick close to that figure, at least for schools & other educational organisations. It would be interesting to know how the original estimates ($25 & $35) were arrived at. Did they include distribution costs?

I think if there is a high demand for the first batch, then maybe they should be sold at a higher price to whoever is desperate to get their hands on them. I'll be happy to step back and wait for the 2nd or 3rd batches to arrive (...rather than spend a night in my sleeping bag!).

Grogs said:-

Ideally, I think sales should be limited to one per person...

Allowing multiple quantities (rather than a "1 per customer" policy) should help keep the unit cost down.

If R-Pi does make an impact, I wonder whether we will see parallels with the OLPC project?

If the real cost of ownership of R-Pi rises to (say) £40, then we might see an Intel/Microsoft module appearing for a similar price. You can buy an Intel Atom board for less than £60, although this does not include memory (at the moment).

Well these Q have really been answered elsewhere, but....

Price of the board does NOT include distribution. Current estimate is that a single board will cost about £5 more in postage and packing, making it about £21 delivered in the UK. When bulk orders becomes possible, probably second or third batch, buying in bulk will mean you get much closer to the basic cost.

It is VERY unlikely an Intel based board could get anywhere near this level of pricing, although if it happens it still helps the aims of the foundation. Note that they still need delivery....

The foundation is using a fulfilment house to do the distribution - demands is probably  too high for spare room packing.

TinyPancakes

Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:30 pm

Jessie said:

Grogs said:

They are limiting them to 1 per address until the demand dies down.  So I imagine the first few batches will be like that and then it will open up.  I want to gift a few so hopfully within a couple months that restriction will be lifted.

Well, good thing I have multiple houses I can ship to

(I only want two at start, one of each model)

designz

Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:34 am

I've been watching Raspberry Pi from a distance for a while. With the latest newsletter, I've been pretty excited and I'm looking forward to ordering a device. It will be pretty nifty to stick in my graduate assistant office for all the undergrades to gloat at.

Return to “General discussion”