meltwater

Re: sales date?

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

Give them a break people, of course people on the forum will want them faster, but so does everyone else.  They will be available when they are ready and why not just let them focus on getting them ready, working out how to do good things with them and ensuring things go smoothly.

Hopefully there will be no issues and the 2nd and 3rd batches will be ready in very little time, but moaning about how and why isn't going to help much.

My new book: goo.gl/dmVtsc

Meltwater's Pi Hardware - pihardware.com

Like the MagPi? @TheMagP1 @TheMagPiTeam

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:15 pm

What it comes down to is...the Foundation has NO employees. Why should they spend a metric hatload of their spare time  thinking up and implementing some distribution scheme that prioritises some over others when there is a perfectly adequate first come first served system.

Worked for the Olympic tickets system. Oh, hold on....
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

roelfrenkema

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:40 pm

JamesH said:

What it comes down to is...the Foundation has NO employees. Why should they spend a metric hatload of their spare time  thinking up and implementing some distribution scheme that prioritises some over others when there is a perfectly adequate first come first served system.

Worked for the Olympic tickets system. Oh, hold on....

Two words: Feedback Quality

roelfrenkema

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:43 pm

BTW There are companies in the Netherlands specialized in buying large quantities by involving students to buy. Mostly done for concert tickets. Very profitable.

abishur

Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:59 pm

Well with that I think we've gotten all we can out of this thread.

The foundation has decided that a first come first serve method is what they're going to use to sell the boards.  It's the definition of fair and equitable, but more importantly it's not something you can change

Apologies to those who think there's a better way to do, no offense is meant

Closing thread
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

simonIOW

Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:06 pm

roelfrenkema said:

JamesH said:

What it comes down to is…the Foundation has NO employees. Why should they spend a metric hatload of their spare time  thinking up and implementing some distribution scheme that prioritises some over others when there is a perfectly adequate first come first served system.

Worked for the Olympic tickets system. Oh, hold on….

Two words: Feedback Quality

My feeling is that as the foundations target and ethos is geared towards education, so the primary feedback should be formalised and structured based around that.  While there will be plenty of feedback from us forum users we're actually not the intended recipients, so our feedback will be skewed accordingly.

In addition the foundation will have to wade through lots of "but it doesn't do this…" feedback when the Pi launches and you know there will be lots of admins going, "yes, we know!"

How any of the Foundation has any hair left I do not know!

{EDIT} layout...

Burngate

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:00 pm

I'm sure everyone - especially me - would be happy with any distribution system, provided only that they - i.e. me - will be at the head of the list.

And to show that I am not selfish, I can justify it by showing that I, by chance, belong to an elite group that deserves to be at the head of that list. And I'm sure I would think this way even if I weren't a member of said group. Possibly.

Me? Actually, I'm going to wait. But not too long. So if you want to be ahead of me, stay awake, keep your fingers poised. It's only 50 days to the end of Feb. I'm sure you can stay awake that long.

Return to “General discussion”