hippy

Re: sales date?

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:19 pm

Jessie said:

I don't get what the big deal is about the 1st come first served.  I'm sure as the foundation starts bringing in money there will be more options, but for now that is just how it is. 
I think the main worry is that first sales day and some people feel they may all be sold at a time before they even get a chance to buy.

Perhaps the first batch could be sold in tranches staggered throughout the day or over a couple of days but that may be too complicated or awkward to facilitate. It likely won't solve the mad clamour when a tranche goes up for sale but may even-up the chances for everyone a little.

grumpyoldgit

Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:34 pm

Are you being serious? this sounds like a recipe for frustration and multiple disappointment. The early bird catches the worm. To suggest that the bird who can't be assed to get up early or go to bed late should triumph is to reward sloth.

hippy

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:08 pm

Grumpyoldgit said:

Are you being serious? this sounds like a recipe for frustration and multiple disappointment. The early bird catches the worm. To suggest that the bird who can't be assed to get up early or go to bed late should triumph is to reward sloth.

Yes I am being serious. I wouldn't class it as sloth if people miss out if R-Pi go on sale at a time they cannot bid; such as when working and not having access to the shop, or have to be in meetings and similar.

Perhaps that's "just tough", but I was only trying to make a suggestion which might help minimise the number of people who felt a single all-in-one sale was unfair on them.

I've seen "first come, first served" sales end in huge acrimony and upset at the sellers when punters miss out with a massively negative backlash ensuing and IMO it's best to avoid that where possible. Ultimately it's up to the foundation to decide how they sell and I accept that.

mp09aap

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:10 pm

many people are worring about extra fees.

looking into the stickers on the shop the postage for 30 stickers with a weight of 140g will be

Royal Mail (First Class)

£2.35

not huge mark up on the price, total 24.35 for the pi

EUROPE £3.12

USA Royal Mail (International Airmail Packets)   £2.60

JAPAN £2.60

MOST OTHER PLACES £2.60

0rphu

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:16 pm

That Europe place must be really far from the UK... Oh wait...

grumpyoldgit

Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:35 pm

Those are postage rates for an individual sending a package. This is not the same as a commercial  company applying P&P. They might not use Royal Mail and in anycase it would be usual for them to have a standard price agreement with their courier based on expected bulk. They have said elsewhere that carriage is likely to be around the £4 mark, which seems reasonable to me.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:01 pm

hippy said:

Grumpyoldgit said:

Yes I am being serious. I wouldn't class it as sloth if people miss out if R-Pi go on sale at a time they cannot bid; such as when working and not having access to the shop, or have to be in meetings and similar.

Perhaps that's "just tough", but I was only trying to make a suggestion which might help minimise the number of people who felt a single all-in-one sale was unfair on them.

I've seen "first come, first served" sales end in huge acrimony and upset at the sellers when punters miss out with a massively negative backlash ensuing and IMO it's best to avoid that where possible. Ultimately it's up to the foundation to decide how they sell and I accept that.

Well, I cannot see anything better than first come first served. The rest of the commercial world seems to get on all right with it. And, even if the first batch sells out fast, there won't be long to wait for the next batch. Patience is called for. It's a virtue you know!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

n3tw0rk5

Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:02 pm

As for people worrying about extra fee's, remember these units need checked against an order sheet, packed, address label printed/applied and then posted.

This all takes up somebodies time and needs to be done properly to minimise mistakes/returns, also the cost of the packaging, labels & ink need to be accounted for.

A lot of time and effort has allready gone into the development and production of the RasPi's and it will take more to get one to your doorstep.

So lets be realistic about the end price including p+p, the foundation will keep the prices as low as possible, but at the end of the day costs need to be covered.

Just my opinion though.

jwatte

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:46 am

Grumpyoldgit said:

Right, because, you know, we all live in the same time zone.

Not to mention we all work the same hours, and have the same internet connection speed and library opening hours (for those without a real computer, who might need the RasPi the most)

That being said, if 10,000 units sell out in a day, I think we're in good shape -- they'd just turn on the spigot and crank 'em out for a while, and those who missed one will wait a month or two. That would pretty much be the best possible outcome if you ask me Even if I'm one of the missers -- a strong community is more important than first-day accessibility.

That being said, me and a bunch of friends are all waiting for the announcement...

jwatte

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:48 am

0rphu said:

That Europe place must be really far from the UK... Oh wait...

"Fog on the channel -- continent cut off!"

adlambert

Mon Jan 09, 2012 6:53 am

JamesH said:

Well, its completely impossible if you don't have the money to set the scheme up with the fulfilment house.

That would depend on your ability to negotiate.

Personally, I am happy with first come first served, I will buy a Pi in the first batch or the next batch, I'm not really bothered. But it's a mind-limiting to assert that relatively simple tasks are impossible. I like to see so called impossible tasks as a challenge. This particular mailing task, though, is hardly a challenge. Would quite straightforward to those with a mindset to deal with it.

roelfrenkema

Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:00 am

First sales option should be to the forum, here the people are that will provide feedback. Seems not only logical thing to do but a necessary thing 10.000 at 1 p.p would then cover fine I guess and then after a day or to people outside the forum.

simonIOW

Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:07 am

I think 1p.p will be fine, and the foundation have to balance demand vs reality (ooh, lots of people want 10, lets make 1,000,000… and then they sit in Liz's front room…)

If I don't get one first time round then I'm happy to wait, and watch all the forum posts of "I did this!" come in so I can stand tall on other peoples shoulders…

{EDIT} punctuation...

jamesh

Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:57 am

roelfrenkema said:

First sales option should be to the forum, here the people are that will provide feedback. Seems not only logical thing to do but a necessary thing 10.000 at 1 p.p would then cover fine I guess and then after a day or to people outside the forum.

Again, just not feasible, there are 6.5k people on the forum, but 55k people on the mailing list. How do you chose from them?

And whilst this mailing list idea is hardly a challenge (apparently), it's not going to happen. When the boards get announced, and go on sale, buy one. Sorry if its not in your time zone, or you have a bad net connection, or it was while you were in the dunny. The Foundation just doesn't have the manpower or the money to blow it on worldwide launches at different times of the day, or constrain sales to a particular subset of people or whatever.

People will just have the be patient, and if they don't get one from the first batch, they can try for the second, or the third. They should following fairly quickly once demand has been determined.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

BlueClogger

Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm

At the moment, for good reason, the Foundation are not taking pre-orders.  When Pi is released the number of orders will probably not be limited to 10k but will carry forward to the next batch and so on.  This will help to indicate the size of batch orders and the level of future demand.  We'll all have to be a bit patient, but the signs are that they are aiming for about a 3 week turnround on production (on the basis that the beta boards have only just been finalised and they're hoping to release at the end of Jan).  If the demand is very high (as I'm sure we allhope it will be for the success of the project) the limiting factor may be the component supply chain.

simonIOW

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:49 pm

JamesH said:

People will just have the be patient, and if they don't get one from the first batch, they can try for the second, or the third. They should following fairly quickly once demand has been determined. 

Welcome to the 21st century, where patience seems to have gone missing...

Come on people, good things come to those that wait; it's nice to see the foundation has the guts to say "hang on, lets get this right", rather than rushing things out.  Bodes well for the future.

grumpyoldgit

Mon Jan 09, 2012 1:57 pm

The elves in the Pi Shop gearing up for production.

sugerbear

Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:49 pm

I wondered if when they go on sale they will be available locally (ie pickup and pay from Cambridge), I live just up the road from Cambridge so if there are any launch events planned where we can turn up, pay and go that would be great.

Anything planned ? or is it post only ?

adlambert

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:03 pm

JamesH said:

Again, just not feasible, there are 6.5k people on the forum, but 55k people on the mailing list. How do you chose from them?

Oh come on, that's not even a slight challenge. Why are some people so defeatist? Problems are there to be solved.

There are reasons that it is first come first served, but feasibility cannot be one of them. This stuff is kids stuff, it's cheap and its easy.

I'm glad the people that pushed the Raspberry Pi as far as they have are made of stronger stuff.

abishur

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:24 pm

adlambert said:

JamesH said:

Oh come on, that's not even a slight challenge. Why are some people so defeatist? Problems are there to be solved.

There are reasons that it is first come first served, but feasibility cannot be one of them. This stuff is kids stuff, it's cheap and its easy.

I'm glad the people that pushed the Raspberry Pi as far as they have are made of stronger stuff.

Errr... you mean people like Jamesh?  Also how is a free and open first come, first serve an unequitable arrangement or a defeatist mindset?
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

jamesh

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:28 pm

adlambert said:

JamesH said:

Give it a rest! You are just making arguments for arguments sake. I've said it won't happen, and given some reasons. The fact YOU think it's easy doesn't necessarily mean it's the right approach. I'm sure it is easy to think up some  scheme to divvy them up. On the other hand we could just go the cheapest and easiest thing and do first come first served. KISS.

patolin

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:40 pm

I agree with lots of people that says that the forum users must have some kind of "preference" when buying the final boards. I just cant wait!!
Patricio Reinoso - www.patolin.com

roelfrenkema

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

JamesH said:

roelfrenkema said:

And whilst this mailing list idea is hardly a challenge (apparently), it's not going to happen. When the boards get announced, and go on sale, buy one. Sorry if its not in your time zone, or you have a bad net connection, or it was while you were in the dunny. The Foundation just doesn't have the manpower or the money to blow it on worldwide launches at different times of the day, or constrain sales to a particular subset of people or whatever.

What you are saying sounds like the foundation has decided to miss out on proper feedback on the boards because channelling sales through an active community would be to much of a hassle. What a waste really.

BTW I am on the mailinglist from the very beginning and now on the forum to be part of the launch one can expect other non passive users to do the same. My choise would be forum first. Considering the mailinglist a general public channel.

arm2

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:41 pm

BlueClogger said:

At the moment, for good reason, the Foundation are not taking pre-orders.  When Pi is released the number of orders will probably not be limited to 10k but will carry forward to the next batch and so on.  This will help to indicate the size of batch orders and the level of future demand.  We'll all have to be a bit patient, but the signs are that they are aiming for about a 3 week turnround on production (on the basis that the beta boards have only just been finalised and they're hoping to release at the end of Jan).  If the demand is very high (as I'm sure we allhope it will be for the success of the project) the limiting factor may be the component supply chain.

I think the ordering system the foundation is using is you pay when you order and that they will therefore stop taking orders once they run out of stock.

Having a facility for copying with back orders adds quite a lot of complication.

As I'm sure they don't want to have peoples money when they don't have stock, so they would have to use a different payment system. Storing very securley payment data until stock was available, and in the meantime the credit card could have expired, you've moved... etc etc.

Yes many companies do have sytems in place to cope with back orders but I doubt the foundation do as it is costly to set up and administer!

winkleink
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:48 pm

It's great that people want to get the R-Pi the moment it is released, but I do find it entertaining that the potential need to wait a month or 2 is causing such a heated argument.

Get over it.  If you miss the 1st batch there will be a 2nd and a 3rd and...

I expect nobody here is going to do anything with their R-Pi that means they have to have it day 1.
Twitter:Winkleink
Google+: Winkleink

Return to “General discussion”