michele.x

Re: Raspberry Pi with 512mb RAM in the Wild and Element14...

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:44 pm

liz wrote:Sorry we couldn't discuss this before - I've been dying to all weekend but contractually FORBIDDEN. Although we have been dropping big, fat hints to some of you. (And some of our partners have been a little...leaky.)
A very important point: if you have already ordered from either RS or Farnell but have not yet received your Pi, you will be getting a 512MB one.
So If I order another Pi now, I'll receive a Rev 2 version with 512 MBytes? My Revision 2 Made in UK is now a "rare" item? ;-)

By the way, to put thing in perspective, I have a photo of my 2003 Pentium IV PC:
One stick is a DDR 256MB, the other one is a DDR PC400 512MB.
I bought the second one a couple of year after I built the PC, and paid less than the slower and smaller one, but I paid more than I've paid now for the RPi.

Moore's law in action...
Last edited by michele.x on Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nicknml

Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Newark is no longer taking orders, don't know if they ran out already or if it's because of problems with their site (it sounds like the latter though from their statement). Glad I got my order in.

cody27

Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:49 pm

16 hours after ordering its here from Australia I'm in NZ

Looks like manufacture date was 11/09

Emanuele

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

abishur wrote: ...

To respond to your larger question, the RPF has been extremely adamant in their $25 price point for the base model and that's not about to change ;-)
Well, it wouldn't be the first time that the foundation's plans change ;-)

In theory, I would be fine with Model A / 256M, but I'm concerned about how long such a model would last: 3 months after release? 6 months? 9 months? For how long will it be possible to source 256M RAM chips in large quantities and at significantly lower cost than 512M? I honestly don't know.

To make it clearer where I'm coming from, this is what I wrote when I read about the first memory upgrade (from 128M to 256M - that was March):

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 319#p46319
Very good news.

I am a bit concerned about the availability of Model A, though. I hope the foundation got some written reassurance in that regard. I can see a per-profit organization limiting the supply of Model A to incentivate sales of Model B (much higher margins, I would think).
At the time, I thought: Great! the minority of hobbyists buying Model B will subsidize the majority of poor kids / schools buying Model A! At the same time, I was concerned that the difference in profitability would work as a perverse incentive towards limiting the supply of Model A. Of course, the "minority" of hobbyists turned out to be bigger than anyone expected. And, to be honest, nobody is going to convince me that the difference in profitability has played no role in the delay(s) of Model A.

If in 6 months time there is a $0.20 difference between 256M and 512M RAM chips, what is the foundation going to do? Switch to 512M and keep the $25 / $35 price point? Keep it at 256M to discourage people buying a product with lower profit margin? Kill Model A altogether because the 256M version had low demand?

I would seriously consider releasing an "until stock last" model A / 256M at $25. For lots of projects, 256M are more than enough and the advantage of lower power consumption is a compelling feature in itself. That could give the foundation the possibility to properly test a first version of Model A. Then, IMHO, it would make more sense to rise the price of Model A to better reflect its cost and let the market decide what it wants.

Why do I bother with this thoughts? Because I personally think that Model A is technically superior to Model B, and I am concerned about its long term viability. Losing Model A would be a shame.

davorin

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:17 pm

Regardless of model A or model. May it have 256MB RAM or 512.

I'm really impressed what the Broadcom engineers made possible...thanx to James...(I don't know the other ones)...

I've been a popcorn user from almost the beginning and I am still not satisfied with their Sigma Design platform. Not sure if it is their buggy chips or there crappy SDK why my popcorn C-200 or C-300 always hangs once in a while...

With the Raspberry Pi B I never had any problems. No matter what video file I throw at it (despite the fact the lack of hardware audio decoding).

Just amazing what this small piece of electronics can do what other are doing (or trying to do) with 8 times the price ;-)

Keep up the good work :-)
richard

abishur

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:35 pm

davorin wrote:Regardless of model A or model. May it have 256MB RAM or 512.

I'm really impressed what the Broadcom engineers made possible...thanx to James...(I don't know the other ones)...
richard
As a point of order, this isn't really an issue of what Broadcom has made possible. Broadcom has designed the chip, and some of the RPF are also Broadcom employees separate from being RPF founders, but the Broadcom corporation does not have a hand in the RPF's cookie jar ;-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Dweeber

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:34 pm

Been looking but have not found yet... What is the ECN number for the 512mb Model B Card?
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

milhouse

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:43 pm

Dweeber wrote:Been looking but have not found yet... What is the ECN number for the 512mb Model B Card?
Do you mean the Revision number from /proc/cpuinfo? It's 5.

Dweeber

Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:53 pm

Thanks!
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Lob0426

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:25 am

Boy!!! I really got hosed by RS. I received the RasPi from them today.
It is a straight version 1.0 256MB (at least it has the samsung) with 140ma polyfuses and D14 in place. 14 weeks and I did not even get resistors. Cpuinfo revision 0002. :shock: Those were supposed to be done weeks ago. Absolutely no gain over what I already had. I would have (did get) got exactly this version more than 20 weeks ago.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

MmmPi

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:02 am

Wow, RS is still sending out rev1 with polyfuses and D14... :x
I've been really hoping they were closer to getting their things in order.
Did you at least receive one of RS' nifty new pink packaging box?

Lob0426

Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:17 am

Nope no box or anything. Bubble wrap and an anti-static bag in a cardboard box. I am thinking it was held out for returns and they dumped it for the new stock that is coming. I could not see any wear as if it was a return but I do not put anything past them now.

At first we were told that when RS started catching up, it would be with the revision 2.0 PCB's. Then that was retracted. But come on clear back to revision 1.0 boards and polyfuses. Rediculous! I expected at least a revision 1.1 board! My best guess is they are dumping, the boards they held back this whole time for returns. So they did have some boards, on hand, but made people wait for months. In my case 14 weeks. I am sure I will not be the only one to get such an early board either.

I have sent RS an E-mail about the whole thing, but they really can just let it pass as it is a RasPi.

dfrimmel

Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:52 am

Very good news, I just wanna say thanks to RS for using my money for almost 4 months and sending me rev 1 RPi 7 days ago. This was not nice at all and I am really :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: f$&/&ed up.Way to do business right now I feel that I just need big ears to look like a donkey.
4 months for 256MB RPi ...
maybe 8 months for 128MB RPi who knows...
Thanks RS.

brainsys

Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:55 pm

dfrimmel wrote:Very good news, I just wanna say thanks to RS for using my money for almost 4 months and sending me rev 1 RPi 7 days ago. This was not nice at all and I am really :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: f$&/&ed up.Way to do business right now I feel that I just need big ears to look like a donkey.
But isn't that what you wanted?
Folks here have been telling you that you can get the latest usually very quickly (like overnight) from elsewhere for the same time. RS's screw up over deliveries with no clear resolution in sight was equally documented. You, and some others, chose not to switch suppliers. And now they complain? I find that really strange.

dfrimmel

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:14 pm

Man, what is so strange, to wait for them for 4 months and then they clean their stock of rev1 boards on few of us. First of all that wasnt so nice, second of all they promised to dispatch me rev2 board and they send me old rev1. I was really stupid I must admit and ever never never again wont buy anything from RS not a single wire. Once more I said this is not the way to treat a customer, none of us.
4 months for 256MB RPi ...
maybe 8 months for 128MB RPi who knows...
Thanks RS.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:21 pm

davorin wrote:Regardless of model A or model. May it have 256MB RAM or 512.

I've been a popcorn user from almost the beginning and I am still not satisfied with their Sigma Design platform. Not sure if it is their buggy chips or there crappy SDK why my popcorn C-200 or C-300 always hangs once in a while...

With the Raspberry Pi B I never had any problems. No matter what video file I throw at it (despite the fact the lack of hardware audio decoding).

Just amazing what this small piece of electronics can do what other are doing (or trying to do) with 8 times the price ;-)

Keep up the good work :-)
richard
Don't blame me for what the talented engineers at Broadcom have done! There are a lot better people here than me! But thanks anyway!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

cave

Tue Oct 16, 2012 1:33 pm

RS Buyer don't regret anything. you are simply stupid.
RS takes your money on day one. And delivers on day never.

Farnell buyer ftw

Everyone knows
Farnell is faster: 5 working days compared to 4 months
better performance on mostly Samsung RAM, faster revisions, Made in Wales/Sony plant.

I don't know why people don'T cancel their RS orders... I think they like to complain and suddern.
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

Lob0426

Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:20 pm

One of Allieds accounts representatives is looking into the matter. He was under the impression that something newer than that was to be sent out also. I guess we will see what he comes up with!

@cave don't start a flame war here they will ban you! :D

RS did not take my money on day one. I was billed on the 12th. Error number 1 for you. Bought 3 other RasPi from Farnell! I wanted to see what the differences between the two manufacturers would be, and I always can give away a RasPi to someone who deserves it. Just like I do with the wayward computers that come my way. So Error number 2 for you.

I will assume that your conversion from german to english is what makes you sound so rude! :)

daveg

Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:38 pm

Got my email from farnell today telling me that my new 512MB Pi was en-route after ordering it on Sunday.

Then got another email from farnell telling me that the Pi I'd ordered on the 1st October was on its way, this order didn't appear on my account page so I assume it hadn't gone through

Oh we'll, I'm going to have 3 Pi's by the end of the week, looks like an excuse to build a bramble :lol:

portets

Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:03 am

jamesh wrote:The type of RAM can help - I seem to remember chatting with Gert about this a while back (9 months at least), who was saying the SS 512 he was testing was much better and worked at higher clock frequencies than 256, I think using less power as well. So it's quite possible the 512's will on average clock faster than the 256's.

However, that was a conversation in a corridor a long time ago, so my memory may be faulty...
Maybe he was comparing the Samsung 512 to the Hynix 256. The Samsung 256 that almost everyone currently has can(usually) be clocked to the max the firmware allows, without sdram overvolting. Just under 600MHz. Any higher than this and the firmware sets it back down.

RaTTuS

Wed Oct 17, 2012 8:18 am

my 512Mb version will be shipped next week according to the email
W/C 22/10/2012
so I may get it for my birthday -
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

cave

Wed Oct 17, 2012 10:57 am

sorry for being too harsh,

but i still don't get the point why they complain on this update.

there are two big suppliers, one is fast, the other is "underperforming"

i had to cancel my RS Order too in the mid of summer. 7 days later i received one from Farnell.

They ordered 256Mb, they got 256MB.

Moores Law gives us now 512Mb.

I really don't get it. 256 is plenty enough. 512MB is nice for bloating JVM's... use python instead.
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

Burngate

Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:36 am

Buy an Apple whatever, you know it'll be out of date next year.
But you have a good idea when next year, plus the press leaks it months in advance, so you can make your buying decision based on full info.
Plus the delay between deciding to buy and getting it isn't months.

Buy a car. There'll be a new model out in August.
But you know the new model will come in August, so you can base your decision on that information.
Plus it's only a few weeks at most between decision to buy and driving the car.

Order a Pi. When's the next version coming out? "Not yet", we're told, right up until we get told the new model is out now, and has been shipping for a few days now.
Plus the delay between decision and getting it can be months, but you don't know if you'll get the new model or the old, or indeed the one before that.

It's not the fault of the Foundation.
It's not even really the fault of the suppliers (apart from the ridiculous delay from one of them, which may be easing).
It's just the way the Pi ecosystem works.

But it still hurts.
And at least for the Pi, you can air your pain here, and you may get, along with a lot more along the lines of "live with it" or "quit complaining" or worse, some sympathy. Not much, but some. You'll get none from Apple or GM

Blame Osbourne

Gary Littlemore

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:06 pm

Me too, Farnell UK? Where in the North West are you?
RaTTuS wrote:my 512Mb version will be shipped next week according to the email
W/C 22/10/2012
so I may get it for my birthday -
3b+, 2b, b+, b, Zero & Zero-W

Mortimer

Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:11 pm

My 512MB RPi ordered from Farnell on Sunday has just arrived at my work address. Looking forward to getting home for some tinkering. :D
--------------
The purpose of a little toe is to ensure you keep your furniture in the right place.

Return to “General discussion”