darthlink

Dual boot of raspbian with pixel ( jessie and stretch )

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:03 pm

Hello everyone, i have right now Raspbian Stretch installed and all is working great so far.

I was going to wait for retropie to be working for stretch to re-install it but unfortunately, i am getting impatient about it loll

Is there a way that i can install raspbian jessie even if i already have stretch installed and without having to reformat my SD card or to break anything ?

I just would like to have both jessie and stretch on dual boot so that i can install retropie and the jessie version and play mu retro-games.

Thank you very much in advnace ;)

And yeah, i forgot to mentioned that i use a 200GB SDcard so i do have plenty of room for 2 OS. Right now Stretch is using it all but can it get dual boot ?

ShiftPlusOne
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Re: Dual boot of raspbian with pixel ( jessie and stretch )

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:16 pm

If you're only using jessie for emulation, I'd suggest taking a look at recalbox. With NOOBS, you could install stretch and recalbox.

Otherwise, you could download the old jessie files from downloads.raspberrypi.org and add them to NOOBS yourself.

darthlink

Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:57 pm

Thank you for the quick reply.

No i am using it for everything, kodi, browsing etc....

If i install noob on my sd card, wouldn'it format the sd card ?

I dont want to replace stretch with jessie, i want a dual boot with both version of raspbian if possible.

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:15 pm

darthlink wrote:
Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:57 pm
Thank you for the quick reply.

No i am using it for everything, kodi, browsing etc....

If i install noob on my sd card, wouldn'it format the sd card ?

I dont want to replace stretch with jessie, i want a dual boot with both version of raspbian if possible.
Ah, I thought the plan was to use stretch for everything and only use jessie for retropie.

Yes, everything I said would require a fresh start, but would give you dual-boot of stretch and recalbox or jessie.

It's possible to dual boot and keep your data, but the instructions would be quite lengthy and still probably result in data loss if you aren't already familiar with how everything works, so I wouldn't recommend trying without a backup.

darthlink

Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:32 pm

loll actually you were right, that was the plan, to use stretch for everything and Jessie for retropie.

Haarrgg !!! I am so nut sure that i want to reset everything again though !!!

If only i knew if retropie would take at most 2 or 3 month to be working on srtetch, it would help loll

Ok so what are the recomandation now ? Should i just wait or start fresh with a dual boot ? That dual boot will be useless though when retropie will be working on stretch !!

ShiftPlusOne

Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 pm

Do you have a preference for retropie over recalbox? I think the path of least resistance is a new install of NOOBS + recalbox + stretch. Anything else would be quite a hassle.

darthlink

Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:38 pm

Thank you very much for your replies.

Since i would have to reinstall everything, i dont know if i want to do that ??

I only miss my retrogames but i still have my PS4 loll

I will think about this but i might end up waiting for retropie on Stretch because reinstalling everything kinda gets on my nerves a little and i dont want all the trouble of the other option wich may still not work or get me in trouble somehow !!

Thank you very much for your advices and i will think about ik ;)

procount

Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:57 pm

I posted a detailed description on my wiki about how to convert an existing OS installation into a PINN format multi-boot sd card. It should work equally well with NOOBS. See https://github.com/procount/pinn/wiki/H ... using-PINN
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

darthlink

Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:15 pm

Thank you very much, that was very nice of you.

It seems very long to do loll

i will keep this as a backup plan if i am very much too impatient about the retropie on stretch but for now i think i will end up waiting.

Thank you very very much again for the help, very appreciated.

Return to “General discussion”