SiriusHardware

Killer App for the Pi?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:17 am

This is not an entriely serious post, as I know that the Pi itself - with its low price point and almost unlimited flexibility - is its own selling point.

But historically, there have often been items of software -typically games, although not always the case - which were so good that people bought the hardware just to get access to the software.

For example, I would argue that one BBC model B application sold more Acorn DFS / Floppy disc drive kits than all of the other possible applications put together, and that would be the floppy disc drive edition of ELITE, which had extra content compared to the cassette based version.

Another (perhaps less obvious) example would be CUBASE (and MIDI sequencer software in general) on the Atari ST.

If there's a 'killer app' for the Raspberry Pi, what would it be? RaspBMC and the other alternative media player suites must be strong contenders - but can you nominate anything else?

Did you buy your Pi to run a particular application or item of software? Or did you just buy the Pi, then go looking for things to do with it?

jackokring

Re: Killer App for the Pi?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 11:30 am

I got it and I am deciding.

Goals: (not necessarily in this completion order)

1. Learn OpenGLES2 (via Java JOGL).
2. Connect custom eZ430-Chronous custom software as an input device.
3. Use omxplayer with divx files.
4. Make a 4 digit 7 segment display for the GPIO (single segment multiplexing, low power).
5. Investigate Arduino/Pi interconnect and blutooth to IOIO possibilities.
6. Construct some sound synthesis stuff.
7. Anything else fun.
Pi[NFA]=B256R0USB CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
Pi[Work]=A+256 CL4SD8GB Raspbian Stock.
My favourite constant 1.65056745028

danpeirce

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:18 am

I don't normally think that way but I thought I'd answer anyway.
  1. The Raspberry Pi is the easiest and least expensive route I have seen for adding remote access and mass storage to simple Microchip PIC18 projects. This by itself should justify the cost for us (this is what I am thinking).
  2. I have not fully explored this yet but matplotlib runs on the Raspberry Pi would would allow one to graphically display any data collected at no additional cost.
  3. Future considerations: Connectbox runs on Android tablets so one can operate the Raspberry Pi from an Android. We don't use tablets yet but I am guessing they are going to becoming increasingly prevalent and the prices will be dropping making them a potential human interface device to the Raspberry Pi and by extension to PIC18 projects.

dancytron

Mon Oct 22, 2012 3:47 am

As far as being useful "work" device (rather than playing music, video, games etc), it has freed my Pentium III military surplus laptop from its desk by being a print server for my laser printer (cups and samba) and thin client (rdesktop) for my main computer (mostly windows XP) in the other room. As a print server, it works perfectly. As a thin client, it works very well for Open Office, non-video web stuff, and Photoshop types of stuff.

If it hadn't worked at least as a print server, I probably would have sold it. That is the useful thing I bought it for that it had to do for me to justify keeping it.

Ephoras

Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:25 pm

Using the RasPi as a desktop...
thats the killer feature for me;)

I have a Surface RT tablet, which i use at university and then i am home at my parents house.
The RT is great as a tablet, but there are still things i need a desktop for (downloading, vpn server, extracting rar/7zip archives)

by now i have the RasPi running, SSH (SSH App is 1,69e in store), xrdp and VPN server installed and i can use my tablet as a regular Linux Desktop with nearly no additional cost
great

efflandt

Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:30 am

I bought one to set up as a backup squid web proxy at work. We are normally supposed to use our factory web proxy 1700 miles away through a VPN, but if something interrupts that we are dead in the water.

I am currently using an old AMD K6-2/400 with 128 MB RAM running ipcop as a backup proxy. Headless it uses 30 watts. The Raspberry Pi would use 3-4 watts. I just need to get a USB ethernet adapter working. The one I got works in Ubuntu, and the Pi has a module for it (asix), is missing a dependent module (usbnet). So I am going to compile my own first Pi kernel. Haven't done that since the old Slackware days in mid-1990's.

But of course it is fun to play quake3 on the Pi, which it does surprisingly well. I have 3, so that leaves me one Pi to experiment with.

sdd

Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:04 pm

Thats easy! Minecraft!

mrcranky

Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:06 am

This is the project that I'm most excited to do:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 37&t=18142

toxibunny

Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:13 am

yeah, it's gonna be that sweet programmable minecraft, innit.
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

Return to “General discussion”