Car camera rig

Zero W home automation project

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Folks,
Looking for some advice / direction please, I’ve seen some projects where people have used the pi 3 and added wireless and bt. Is the zero W powerful enough to run something like HA bridge and communicate with an amazon echo or google home? (That’s how I’m understanding this at the moment as a complete noob)
I want to control X10 lighting with and echo or home but understand somehow that it can control smart lighting too, I know nothing at all about programming or coding but quite excited to learn :)
From what I’ve gathered so far, I need to get;

Raspberry pi
Ha bridge
X10 computer interface (I have a CM12u but it’s serial) would a serial to USB adapter work to plug into pi?
I’ve got a hive hub already but I understand the ha bridge emulates a wemo hub??
The house lighting is already X10 with din rail modules and use plug in transceivers.
So I know all of this isn’t pi related but some advice on the right board to kick off with would be an amazing help. Cheers J

fruitoftheloom

Re: Zero W home automation project

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Car camera rig wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 pm
Hi Folks,
Looking for some advice / direction please, I’ve seen some projects where people have used the pi 3 and added wireless and bt. Is the zero W powerful enough to run something like HA bridge and communicate with an amazon echo or google home? (That’s how I’m understanding this at the moment as a complete noob)
I want to control X10 lighting with and echo or home but understand somehow that it can control smart lighting too, I know nothing at all about programming or coding but quite excited to learn :)
From what I’ve gathered so far, I need to get;

Raspberry pi
Ha bridge
X10 computer interface (I have a CM12u but it’s serial) would a serial to USB adapter work to plug into pi?
I’ve got a hive hub already but I understand the ha bridge emulates a wemo hub??
The house lighting is already X10 with din rail modules and use plug in transceivers.
So I know all of this isn’t pi related but some advice on the right board to kick off with would be an amazing help. Cheers J

A Raspberry Pi 3B has in-built WiFi & BT and would be a better starting point:

Some reading for you as what you ask has been undertaken by several users:

https://becominghuman.ai/turn-your-rasp ... 29ad220075

https://aiyprojects.withgoogle.com/voice

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... pberry-Pi/
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

Car camera rig

Re: Zero W home automation project

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for that, turning the pi into an assistant is t what I’m looking for... I want my physical amazon echo to communicate with my X10 lighting, I had heard that somebody had used a pi as bridge to trick the echo into thinking it’s a compatible device. I’d then need to configure an X10 computer interface to facilitate the transfer of commands to the X10 modules (I think)
Does that sound feasible? I didn’t see the 3b board had bt and wifi, I talked to a guy in Maplin he said it did t I needed this new zero W so thanks for that.

Return to “General discussion”