Car camera rig

Zero W home automation project

Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 pm

Hi Folks,
Looking for some advice / direction please, I’ve seen some projects where people have used the pi 3 and added wireless and bt. Is the zero W powerful enough to run something like HA bridge and communicate with an amazon echo or google home? (That’s how I’m understanding this at the moment as a complete noob)
I want to control X10 lighting with and echo or home but understand somehow that it can control smart lighting too, I know nothing at all about programming or coding but quite excited to learn :)
From what I’ve gathered so far, I need to get;

Raspberry pi
Ha bridge
X10 computer interface (I have a CM12u but it’s serial) would a serial to USB adapter work to plug into pi?
I’ve got a hive hub already but I understand the ha bridge emulates a wemo hub??
The house lighting is already X10 with din rail modules and use plug in transceivers.
So I know all of this isn’t pi related but some advice on the right board to kick off with would be an amazing help. Cheers J

fruitoftheloom

Re: Zero W home automation project

Sun Nov 12, 2017 5:47 pm

Car camera rig wrote:
Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:51 pm
Hi Folks,
Looking for some advice / direction please, I’ve seen some projects where people have used the pi 3 and added wireless and bt. Is the zero W powerful enough to run something like HA bridge and communicate with an amazon echo or google home? (That’s how I’m understanding this at the moment as a complete noob)
I want to control X10 lighting with and echo or home but understand somehow that it can control smart lighting too, I know nothing at all about programming or coding but quite excited to learn :)
From what I’ve gathered so far, I need to get;

Raspberry pi
Ha bridge
X10 computer interface (I have a CM12u but it’s serial) would a serial to USB adapter work to plug into pi?
I’ve got a hive hub already but I understand the ha bridge emulates a wemo hub??
The house lighting is already X10 with din rail modules and use plug in transceivers.
So I know all of this isn’t pi related but some advice on the right board to kick off with would be an amazing help. Cheers J

A Raspberry Pi 3B has in-built WiFi & BT and would be a better starting point:

Some reading for you as what you ask has been undertaken by several users:

https://becominghuman.ai/turn-your-rasp ... 29ad220075

https://aiyprojects.withgoogle.com/voice

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to- ... pberry-Pi/
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Car camera rig

Re: Zero W home automation project

Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:08 pm

Thanks for that, turning the pi into an assistant is t what I’m looking for... I want my physical amazon echo to communicate with my X10 lighting, I had heard that somebody had used a pi as bridge to trick the echo into thinking it’s a compatible device. I’d then need to configure an X10 computer interface to facilitate the transfer of commands to the X10 modules (I think)
Does that sound feasible? I didn’t see the 3b board had bt and wifi, I talked to a guy in Maplin he said it did t I needed this new zero W so thanks for that.

Return to “General discussion”