jbeale

Re: Land your RasPI in a datacenter for free

Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:16 pm

A note about shipping charges. This article by Kyle Rankin on Aug 22, 2013 mentions: "It turned out it cost me only around $5 to ship the Raspberry Pi from California to Austria with the US postal service."

Either he got a great deal, or that was a typo, or I was really overcharged. Today (Oct. 28 2013) I used "Postal Annex" which charged me $16.15 to send a 3 oz package from California to Austria by USPS First-Class Package International Service, with no tracking, expected time 2-3 weeks (cost not counting another $2.05 for a padded envelope). That was the lowest rate available. The cheapest service with a tracking number was about $60, and that is only to the destination country. Tracking to final address would cost over $100.

Joe Schmoe

Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:45 pm

I still don't understand why anyone (Particularly from another continent) would want to do this.

I mean, even if there was a point to it, wouldn't it be easier to just tell them to buy one for you and bill you (rather than shipping yours around the world) ?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

jbeale

Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:wouldn't it be easier to just tell them to buy one for you and bill you ?
Sure, that would be easier. As far as I know, that option has not been offered. I think their hosting offer gets attention from the fact that it is *FREE* of charge (at least to the user by EDIS). Otherwise it is another remote server option, of which there are many. Also, once money changes hands, several additional complexities enter the picture.

kghunt

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:34 am

Royal mail charged me £11 signed for and I got the jiffy bag from work :-). I could have sent it cheaper but I wanted a signature and tracking information.

I think it would have been £8.

Also with royal mail size matters. If I had just shipped it in the element14 bow with no padded envelope it would have been £6 signed for and 2-3 quid standard post.

Someone in Austria should set themselves up buying and shipping the pis. Then when it needs selling they can just come to an arrangement with edis to re image the SD and the pi need not move but could change hands.

kghunt

Wed Oct 30, 2013 6:44 am

I'd be more than happy to buy a couple of pis with 16gb USB sticks image them ship them to edis then sell them to someone who is a bit further away than me (ie the usa/Canada etc). Then I would agree to buy them back and a slightly reduced price (as if postage was paid to edis) And then sell them on again. I wouldn't be I it to make tons of money but at least people in the Americas would be able to enjoy "free" edis hosting with a similar TCO as us in Europe.

kghunt

Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Your item, posted on 24/10/13 with reference xxxxxxxx was delivered in AUSTRIA on 30/10/13.

YAY!

It got there..... via the Czech Republic.... but it did get there. :-)

MrCartas

Wed Oct 30, 2013 8:10 pm

kghunt wrote:I'd be more than happy to buy a couple of pis with 16gb USB sticks image them ship them to edis then sell them to someone who is a bit further away than me (ie the usa/Canada etc). Then I would agree to buy them back and a slightly reduced price (as if postage was paid to edis) And then sell them on again. I wouldn't be I it to make tons of money but at least people in the Americas would be able to enjoy "free" edis hosting with a similar TCO as us in Europe.
How much would you charge for the PRi, USB and shipping? And how much would you buy them back for?

svenix

Mon Nov 04, 2013 1:39 pm

Well, today I handed my Pi to the Post Office in Sweden for transport to the EDIS Datacenter in Graz, Austria. I hope it gets there safely and that it will start up like expected when they connect it. :)

I sent it as registered mail so hopefully I will be able to follow it's path through Europe until it reaches EDIS i Graz.

I have a similar Pi set up with PCextreme in Holland and that one has been running like clockwork. Alas PCextreme are now planning to charge €36/Yr for the service witch was originally free. So I think I will claim my Dutch Raspberry Pi back when the free year is over. And hopefully my Austrian Pi can become a worthy successor.

I believe EDIS also has plans for charging a low fee after the first free year, but hopefully their price will be lower. I think I saw something about €24/Yr which I find more reasonable.

Anyway, this is great fun for a network nerd being able to have Pi:s in different countrys and connecting them via internet. I use them for webservers, backup purposes and other tests I can think of.

Now it will be an exciting week waiting for my Austrian Pi to come alive! ;) :geek:

kghunt

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:18 pm

I can now confirm my pi is online.

I did think it might be worth sharing my image so then all someone has to do is change the IP and password and they are ready to go.

My image has had all the gui elements removed.
The memory split is at maximum.
Overclocked to 900mhz.
Fully updated.
Webmin installed.
USB stick mounted and added to fstab (automatic mount).
Interfaces file modified correctly (confirmed).

If anyone wants it let me know and Ill attempt to shrink it back down from 8GB.

jbeale

Mon Nov 04, 2013 2:44 pm

not familiar with webmin, maybe this is already implied, but hopefully system accepts ssh via certificate only (password off) to prevent any password-guessing hack.

TGD

Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:29 am

My RPi is online now :D , take a look @ http://rebol.tgd-consulting.de. Kudos and many thanks to Edis for their excelent service and colocation of my raspberry pi.

Drefsab

Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:04 pm

TGD I like that status page of your's is that something you wrote up yourself?

I've ordered a new pi just so I can send one off for this, and still have one at home.

I was just planning out the build so latest raspbian with the maximum memory split and a good OC (need to test the pi first to see what it likes without any SD corruption).

2 x micro 32gb USB drives set to auto-mount.

8GB Transcend class 10 SD card.

Nginx, php, (cgi via Thttpd proxy), proftpd, mysql, opensshd

can I ask for some specific tips on what you did to remove all gui elements? I'm wanting to keep things as lightweight as possible.

TGD

Fri Nov 08, 2013 8:30 pm

@Drefsab: Yes, all content and CGIs on this website have been written by me. And also the web server is written entirely by me in REBOL.

Do you know REBOL? REBOL is lightweight at its best and a uniquely small and productive development tool. The REBOL3-interpreter has an uncompressed file size lower than 500k on the RPi. The web server script itself has only a few 100 lines of code including the CGIs. REBOL is extremely powerful and easy to use.

Use

Code: Select all

dpkg -l
to list the installed software packages and then decide what you don't need for your server. I've used

sudo apt-get purge <pkg-name>
and

sudo apt-get autoremove
to remove any package I don´t need.

Don´t use OC, if you want a stable system. I've got often SD-CARD corruptions with OC set.

Drefsab

Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:08 pm

I'd not seen rebol before but I will look into it. I must have been lucky my original model B has been oced to 950 with no SD corruption (well other than an unexpected power cut once).

Thanks

svenix

Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:27 pm

Today my Raspberry Pi went online in the EDIS datacenter! :)

Postal delivery was quite fast from Sweden to Austria, took only from monday til wednesday last week and on the wednesday I recieved an email from EDIS that they had recieved my parcel.
Then it was quite a long wait until this morning when the Pi was online, but now it seems to work perfectly! :D

Thanks to EDIS for this great service!

Joe Schmoe

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:33 pm

I still have no idea what the point of this "service" is...

Mr.Dave

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:42 pm

No-one has discretely hard modded their Pi with a trojan / backdoor to gain root access to the entire datacentre yet ?

blachanc

Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:50 pm

Joe Schmoe wrote:I still have no idea what the point of this "service" is...
You already stated that earlier in this thread.

Do You find the concept nonsense, or you would like to understand why people are appealed by this?

I almost jumped on a similar offer, but decided to not do so
because I did not see a justifiable need for me.
But I have no problem understanding why people would jump in.

Friends of mine have similar reactions in respect to the PI itself...
Just my 2 cents...
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

Joe Schmoe

Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:04 pm

Do You find the concept nonsense, or you would like to understand why people are appealed by this?
You ask a fair question: Am I really just being a jerk (the long-standing tradition on discussion boards being that when people ask questions like this, they are really making a statement, not asking a question at all) or do I genuinely want to understand?

To be perfectly honest, a little of both. As I stated in my first post on this sub-topic, I do think the primary attraction of the PI is portability - that you can pick it up and take it wherever you go. "Land"ing it somewhere seems to defeat this entirely. OTOH, if I think about it more deeply, and realize that the device is cheap enough that one could easily buy more than one - one to be "land"ed, others to be portable, I could imagine reasons why people might want to do this. But I'm still curious as to why they would do so.

Alternatively, one might ask "What's the business model here?" Who's exploiting who? As always, in this Internet age, you have to ask yourself "When a service is "free", what is the business model?" How do they make money from giving something away for free? Most ofthe time, the answer is "advertising", but there's a good question embedded therein: "How much longer can this work? For how much longer will there be any hard goods to advertise?"

With Google (and similar companies), the answer seems also to be: They are supplying the NSA and the rest of the spook aparatus with the personal information they collect.

So, what's in it for the providers of this service? What's their business model? What are they doing with the information they could be collecting on their customers?

And, as the previous poster alluded to, what about the customers? How do the providers know that it is safe to take some stranger's custom configured board and connect it up to their network?

These are all good questions...

jbeale

Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:29 am

How do the providers know that it is safe to take some stranger's custom configured board and connect it up to their network?
You can ask that of any co-location service. There are quite a few of them (although most are not free :-). I'm no expert but I assume the data center only provides only access to the outside net to your device, and gives no other access to the internal network. At work we have a public wifi like that, you can connect and surf the web from your laptop / phone, but you cannot see or connect to any other local devices on the LAN.

As far as information security goes, my impression is that Europe has stricter data privacy laws than over here in the good ol' USA for what that's worth. What their business model is, I do not know. I presume it will become non-free after some time. Meanwhile, word-of-mouth advertising? Lots of companies give away free stuff on that model. I have noticed that all email from the data center mentions that I can contribute some money voluntarily if I want.

allfox

Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:43 am

Joe Schmoe wrote:
How do the providers know that it is safe to take some stranger's custom configured board and connect it up to their network?
They don't know. So they just refuse to any custom board.

When you apply to this service, you will receive a mail: Due to fire hazard regulations we will not accept RPis with solder work or other modifications done.

So no hand-work at all. By the way, official modification looks OK, I have a Chinese version red-printed Pi at their datacenter.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:13 pm

jbeale wrote:
You can ask that of any co-location service. There are quite a few of them (although most are not free :-).
As a general rule unless you buy some specific service that provides otherwise then a colo machine will be connected to a vlan that is directly connected to the internet with no firewalls/nats. That vlan will typically be shared among multiple customers for IP efficiency and ease of administration. Hosts are responsible for their own security.

And yes if one host on a colo subnet misbehaves it could cause problems for other hosts on that colo network.

servingpi.net

Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 am

Hi,

I just thought I would chime in on a few of the points raised. We provide Pi colo services with a defined commercial service rather than a free one, but the points that follow are still valid.

We offer the option to purchase your Pi from us rather than ship it to us. The reasons for this are:

1. It saves you the cost of shipping and paying import taxes / establishing proof of ownership with customs.

2. We pre-assemble the Pis into the rack mount matrix mounting system we use, each of which holds 80 Pi's. It is more convenient for us and provides better service for customers if we are not in there trying to add additional Pi's into an 80 block that already contains other customers live services. This is less engineering work and time for us, which translates into lower cost for the customer, and also provides a better service level because there is less risk of unintended disruption to service for existing customers.

3. At the end of the contract we can ship the Pi and SD card back to you. We actually extract the SD card from your Pi and ship a shiny newly purchased of the shelf Pi back to you and leave the existing one in the rack for the same operational reasons above.

With regards to VLANs and security:

1. If the customer orders the default option from us, their Pi will be connected to an "unTagged" switch port which connects to a VLAN direct to our public Internet customer aggregation router (CAR) level. There is no fire-walling between you and the internet and your Pi will have a public IP address and you are responsible, as with any colo contract, for your own security.

2. Whenever you connect to a cross party shared layer 2 switched subnet there are things you should be doing in addition to layer 3 security to protect your computers against various layer 2 attacks that could occur against your computers because another computer in the same subnet has been hacked / is badly configured.

3. Our customers have the option of requesting private VLANs and dot1Q trunk ports in addition to public VLAN. This means that you can build a perimeter Pi that has a trunked port with public and private network segments. The private servers will all be isolated at layer 2 into their own VLAN separate from the rest of the customers on the switch. The perimeter Pi can then act as router / firewall / NAT / no NAT / Load Balancer(s) / VRRP / reverse proxy... whatever you want. The Pi's in the private VLAN can have either public or private IP addresses assigned to them depending on what you want to do on the perimeter Pi(s).

4. On the switch ports we do implement port security to try to minimize any problems a customer might have and protect you from each other and the switch fabric from a number of layer 2 attack vectors such as MAC spoofing, CAM overloading and VLAN hopping, BPDU injection etc etc.

Hope that provides some food for thought and maybe why a commercial defined service might be more appropriate than a "best efforts" free service which has no meaningful contact behind it. Please feel fee to check out our service on our website.
Kind Regards

Ben
======================================================
Providing Commercial Data Centre Hosting Services for Raspberry Pi
Technical Sales Consultant
West 16 Ltd - http://www.servingpi.net/

jbeale

Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:36 pm

Status update:

28 Oct 2013  Raspi shipped from California to Austria (USPS First-Class, agent estimated 2-3 weeks)
07 Nov 2013  Email from EDIS reports that Raspi was received
14 Nov 2013  Raspi online
I configured the Pi to send me an email, via my gmail account when it booted up, and that worked when I tested it at home. It seems Google prevented the email connection from overseas, instead I received this (I masked my username and IP):
Hi John,

Someone recently used your password to try to sign in to your Google Account [email protected]. This person was using an application such as an email client or mobile device.

We prevented the sign-in attempt in case this was a hijacker trying to access your account.
Please review the details of the sign-in attempt:

Thursday, November 14, 2013 3:43:58 PM UTC
IP Address: w.x.y.z
I guess it's nice that Google is looking out for my security, but apparently it means my co-located Pi cannot contact me by email. I wonder if there is any way around that. (EDIT: at least you can say "yes that was me" at https://security.google.com/settings/security/activity )
EDIT2: Automated email from the co-hosted pi works, but only after you establish your identity by logging in to mail.google.com from a web-browser on the remote pi, and answer a security question (since "you are logging in from an unusual location"). I used links2 while logged into the pi via ssh.

Ping time from California to the remote Pi is around 195 msec. Traceroute shows 21 hops passing through San Francisco, San Jose, New York, London, Frankfurt, and Vienna mostly via Level3.net.
Last edited by jbeale on Fri Nov 15, 2013 5:59 am, edited 2 times in total.

svenix

Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:32 pm

I made this script to notify me when my Raspberry Pi came alive.
I run the script once every hour by cron. The script copies a file to my Linux computer at home. In the file is the time and the IP-adress of the Pi.

Also you need to have ssh access with keys set up to your home computer so the Pi can log in without a password.

#!/bin/sh

LHOST="`hostname`"
EIP="`wget http://ip-addr.es/ -o /dev/null -O -`"
NTIME="`date +%y%m%d_%H.%M`"
DEST="81.216.xxx.xxx"
PORT=22
SUSER="xxxx"
LFILE="/tmp/phone_home.txt"
RFILE="${LHOST}_live.${NTIME}"

/bin/echo "${LHOST}    ${NTIME}    ${EIP}" > ${LFILE}

/usr/bin/scp -P ${PORT} ${LFILE} ${SUSER}@${DEST}:${RFILE}

/bin/rm ${LFILE}
I masked out my IP-adress and user name for obvious reasons.

Return to “General discussion”