monete

Land your RasPI in a datacenter for free

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:47 pm

andrew420 posted about this a couple of weeks ago, but I found it so interesting that I think it deserves its own topic :D

Edis, an Internet company, is offering to all Raspberry PI owners the possibility to house their tiny computers in its massive datacenter for free. You will have the option to get your RasPI back at any time for free/5/10 € depending if you are demanding the shipping to Austria/anywhere else in Europe/anywhere else in the world.
They offer you 100MBit link and up to 100GB traffic per month. Check out the succulent offer.

¿What would you do if you could land your Raspberry in Edis? ¿Ideas, suggestions, available possibilities?

bredman

Re: Land your RasPI in a datacenter for free

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:58 pm

The offer is a bit confusing on some points...
1. Why do you need to supply a USB stick?
2. Why is an SD card not requested? Does this mean that edis provides the SD card with their selected operating system?
3. Why is it so cheap? Is it supported by advertising or do edis demand some processing time?

jbeale

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:36 am

Please supply
USB power cable (A plug -> PI)
USB stick with your OS on it - preconfigured with the IP we gave you
Either they are confusing USB stick with SD card, or they are going to transfer your OS image to their own SD card, or they use their SD card which exports the root filesystem to the USB stick.

Curious offer... neither electrical power nor bandwidth is free, so they must have some kind of advertising return from this (I assume). Or just getting their name out there with an amazing limited-time deal?

Vindicator

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:58 am

https://www.edis.at/en/server/colocation/austria/ at this page on their site I found this statement.

Server Location: EDIS Data Centre, Graz
Highlights: We do not charge any setup costs in our Austrian datacenter.
All machines are being run with energy from 100% local hydropower.

Maybe they are hoping once you send it there you will be willing at some time in the future to pay a small nominal fee to keep it in their center.
(since there is a good chance that there will be 1 million pi in the wild by the end of the year.)

Picture thousands of Raspberrypi's staring forlornly at each in a room full of them LOL.
If you are more worried about ,spelling, punctuation or grammar you have probably already missed the point so please just move on.

hgserver

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:21 pm

I have tested it....

the result
no ads, fast connection, really free...(I hope for ever)

hop

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:23 am

"We will not send the unit back after 1 week"

lewmur

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:38 pm

bredman wrote:The offer is a bit confusing on some points...
1. Why do you need to supply a USB stick?
2. Why is an SD card not requested? Does this mean that edis provides the SD card with their selected operating system?
3. Why is it so cheap? Is it supported by advertising or do edis demand some processing time?
Could it be that what they are doing is creating a virtual copy of your Pi and then selling your hardware?

adlambert

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:45 pm

Quoting William of IDIS:
"As note for the guys that fear some sort of hook/strings attached (how do i say that in english? :/):
The colo will be free for at least 12 months, after that you have the choice to get your RPi back for the shipping (5/10EUR) or continue to colo it for a cheap price (sub 10EUR, likely less) or maybe if we have use for them sell it to us.
So no strings attached at all.

Likely, since they take no space/power/bw anyway (the most scarce thing on this offer is the 1 IPv4...) and we have plenty of space for them, we won't charge the users that took this free offer at any time, forever."

rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:46 pm

@lewmur, you win the prize for paranoia :-D

Would it make any difference if they did? Of course you could always test them. Send them a v1 RPi, wait six months and then ask for it back. If it comes back as a v2, you've proved it... and profited.

I'm surprised the IPv4 is the rarest part of the offer. I would have expected the 5V power distribution to rate higher than that. They must have a lot of 5V power supplies and massive USB distribution boards hanging around.

lewmur

Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:14 am

rurwin wrote:@lewmur, you win the prize for paranoia :-D
My daddy just taught me that if it looks to good to be true, it probably is.
rurwin wrote: Would it make any difference if they did? Of course you could always test them. Send them a v1 RPi, wait six months and then ask for it back. If it comes back as a v2, you've proved it... and profited.
Wouldn't make any difference to me 'cause I have no intention of sending my Pi to someone else. Half the fun of the Pi, IMO, is having multiple OS's on multiple SD cards to play with. Can't do that when someone else has my Pi.

cave

Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:37 pm

William from EDIS is well known and accepted at
http://www.lowendtalk.com/

and the hope is you will buy also a VPS from them if you know them.
This is Marketing.
host your Pi at EDIS.
Maybe buy a VPS for 1,45€ per month (128MB/2GB/500GB traffic)... etc etc

http://www.lowendbox.com/ is listening Low End VPS Hoster and EDIS is alwas in top #something

Will has also made a blogpost in his blog, about building the Rack for the Pi's and the Power from ATX 5V Supplys and the 48x Switch supplying 47 Pi's
http://cavebeat.blogspot.co.at

jimmyand

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:01 pm

They are planning to relaunch a similar offer for a small fee. All RPi's already hosted at EDIS, will be hosted for free for 1 year, after this they will have to pay a small fee (source: http://www.lowendtalk.com/discussion/co ... ent_166522)

ExPl0ReR

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:31 pm

Hello guys and girlz!

wanted to update you, that we (EDIS) just launched V2 of our Free RPi Colo product.

New features in V2:

Free cold-boot your RPi using a webinterface
Simple status-updates on your order-process (waiting for parcel, parcel arrived, RPI online, RPI offline for maintenance)

After 1 full year of hosting some hundred machines in our raspberry-fields, the product is still free and will remain free of charge. We just got new power-supplies in and backordered even more of them to keep the order-queues open for some more days.

Currently a bit less than 100 orders are rolling in per 24 hours. If you're interested to host your RPi in our garden you'd rather be quick, because we're soon running out of power-ports again ...

Please don't consider this posting as spam - our intention is to keep the community updated on this project.
http://www.edis.at/en/server/colocation ... spberrypi/

cheers from Austria,
Gerhard @ EDIS

ps: raspberry-field forever ;-)

jbeale

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:47 pm

How would the R-Pi appear on the network, is it assigned its own IPv4 address, or do you route to it from a domain name?

I'm quite interested, having my very own always-available Pi hosted in a datacenter is quite convenent. The cloud-hosting services I'm aware of (certainly in the "free" category) do not provide the degree of flexibility you have with an entire Linux box.
Last edited by jbeale on Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Joe Schmoe

Thu Oct 17, 2013 9:53 pm

I don't understand. Am I totally missing the point here?

I mean, isn't this pretty much like an offer to "co-locate" (or house or whatever) your iPhone?

Portability is kinda the point, isn't it?
And some folks need to stop being fanboys and see the forest behind the trees.

(One of the best lines I've seen on this board lately)

ExPl0ReR

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:00 pm

jbeale wrote:How would the R-Pi appear on the network, is it assigned its own IPv4 address, or do you route to it from a domain name?
We provide you with an IPv4 and IPv6 address and you're ready to colocate your RPi in our datacenter ;-)
After that you can route a domain name to this IPv4 / IPv6 and run (simple) services on that "machine".

Gerhard

jbeale

Thu Oct 17, 2013 10:05 pm

Seems much to good to be true, but I've placed my order on your website, and will look forward to your email about where/how to send you my Pi!

jbeale

Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:36 pm

ExPl0ReR wrote:We provide you with an IPv4 and IPv6 address and you're ready to colocate your RPi in our datacenter ;-)
After that you can route a domain name to this IPv4 / IPv6 and run (simple) services on that "machine".
Gerhard
Thank you very much. I can't expect much support for "free" but can you point me to a setup FAQ? I got the EDIS email with "required networking-settings" but I'm wondering what I need to know about your firewall, if any. Will my machine have all network ports exposed? For example if I want to change ssh to use something other than port 22 ?

ExPl0ReR

Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi!
there is no firewall between your RPi and the internet.
All ports are open. Please feel free to change your SSH-port to whatever you deem appropriate.
Everything you don't need you preferably drop using iptables.

Cheers,
Gerhard @ EDIS

allfox

Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:47 pm

ExPl0ReR wrote:Hi!
there is no firewall between your RPi and the internet.
All ports are open. Please feel free to change your SSH-port to whatever you deem appropriate.
Everything you don't need you preferably drop using iptables.

Cheers,
Gerhard @ EDIS
Hello.

I live in China, my local reseller(named EGOMAN, http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3195) is selling a Pi with some little modifications:
1 It's PCB is in red color, not green.
2 No CE nor FCC mark on it.

Will you accept this kind of Pi?
I could get a green Pi here anyway, but with a little more cost.

ExPl0ReR

Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:52 pm

allfox wrote:
I live in China, my local reseller(named EGOMAN, http://www.raspberrypi.org/archives/3195) is selling a Pi with some little modifications:
1 It's PCB is in red color, not green.
2 No CE nor FCC mark on it.

Will you accept this kind of Pi?
I could get a green Pi here anyway, but with a little more cost.
Hello!

I see no reason not to accept a true EGOMAN Raspberry Pi - it would most likely be the first of its kind here in Austria ;-)

Cheers,
Gerhard Kleewein @EDIS

kghunt

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:00 pm

Edis order Recieved. Check!
128gb usb Recived. Check!
Os built and configured.Check!
New Edis pi arrived from Farnell. Almost Check!

Almost ready for a pi holiday. I'll be sending it with a toothbrush and change of clothes. If you can just make sure it doesn't get up to mischief I would appreciate it.

Can we get some pictures of the accommodation? After all that's what makes a holiday :-) always have to show off pictures of the accommodation.

ExPl0ReR

Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:29 pm

kghunt wrote:Edis order Recieved. Check!
128gb usb Recived. Check!
Os built and configured.Check!
New Edis pi arrived from Farnell. Almost Check!

Almost ready for a pi holiday. I'll be sending it with a toothbrush and change of clothes. If you can just make sure it doesn't get up to mischief I would appreciate it.

Can we get some pictures of the accommodation? After all that's what makes a holiday :-) always have to show off pictures of the accommodation.

We'll be posting pictures of the Raspberry hotel in a couple of weeks.
Currently we're migrating last years RPis (yes, they didn't want to go home!) to the new power-supplies with remote-reboot.
As I already mentioned (further up I think), we already got some in by mail on Friday and one client dropped his RPi off in person. He wanted to be first and was almost a bit disappointed to learn, that - only 10 minutes earlier - we received a UPS overnight express parcel from Switzerland ;-)

This is an old picture with some RPIs from last year ...
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

alrighty, ...
have a great day / evening / night here from Austria / Europe
Gerhard @ EDIS

kghunt

Austria via Czech Republic!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:45 pm

I posted my pi to EDIS on friday. The tracking information has been updated a few times but now it says

"Your item, posted on 24/10/13 with reference xxxxxxxx has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in CZECH REPUBLIC."

Is it normal for international post to Austria to go via the Czech Republic? Seems to me that Royal Mail might have made a boo boo.

I suppose I will find out when I get a signature back. Im glad I sent it signed for and that its covered by Royal Mails insurance.

ExPl0ReR

Re: Austria via Czech Republic!

Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:06 pm

kghunt wrote:I posted my pi to EDIS on friday. The tracking information has been updated a few times but now it says

"Your item, posted on 24/10/13 with reference xxxxxxxx has been passed to the overseas postal service for delivery in CZECH REPUBLIC."

Is it normal for international post to Austria to go via the Czech Republic? Seems to me that Royal Mail might have made a boo boo.

I suppose I will find out when I get a signature back. Im glad I sent it signed for and that its covered by Royal Mails insurance.

Hi!

this sounds tricky, but I would definitely allow for some more days.
Maybe it is just an on-screen-problem and the parcel is on the right track anyway.

(... and seen from your perspective, it is definitely the right direction ;-)

cheers,
Gerhard

Return to “General discussion”