Re: Raspberry Pi 0 W and armv6

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm

alnaseh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:52 pm
fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:27 pm
alnaseh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:17 pm

Ok, this returns us to the main topic which is limited support for BCM2835 processor. i believe we need a better one soon ( hopefully earlier than 2019)

Why should the BCM2835 be obsoleted because Java Developers do not support ?? that is laughable.

Why not use an alternative ??
Actually it should be the opposite. a developer will pick a board based on his experience and the languages he knows.
another point is that Java ecosystem is bigger than finding an easy alternative because of an old chip. in all cases we need to stick to Java 8 and tune things until a replacement is available.
So it sems you have picked the wrong board.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

fruitoftheloom

Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 pm

There are many boards which run Debian / Ubuntu re-spin Armbian, though none have a community forum like we have here:

https://www.armbian.com/download/
Rather than negativity think outside the box !
RPi 4B 4GB (SSD Boot) RaspiOS64 ARM64
Asus ChromeBox 3 Celeron is my other computer...

alnaseh

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:19 am

jamesh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:44 pm

There are no changes to the SoC on the Zero planned that I know of. The Zero is designed to be as cheap as possible, putting a more expensive SoC goes against that intention.

So your options are the ARMv7 boards, the Pi 2 and Pi3.
jamesh wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:45 pm
So it sems you have picked the wrong board.
thanks for the info. if it is going to be around for a while, it is more of a reason to find some solution for this (if any).
Pi 0 small footprint is what makes it attractive for me (+ camera and the nice enclosure) and not the price. this combination is not available any other board.

i was trying to find any workaround for a while, the only clue i have now is the last oracle build supporting Raspberry

Code: Select all

jdk-9-ea+170_linux-arm32-vfp-hflt_bin.tar.gz
it is the early access build 170 from Oracle and it was supporting Raspberry (hopefully armv6). the official build is 181 which is not so far from 170. it seems Oracle stopped their support for x86 and arm in the last stages.

the only issue is that I'm not able to find this binary any more. all links are gone.
Last edited by alnaseh on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

alnaseh

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:27 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Thu Feb 01, 2018 7:56 pm
There are many boards which run Debian / Ubuntu re-spin Armbian, though none have a community forum like we have here:

https://www.armbian.com/download/
and non of them has decent camera with good driver a round it as well. i got the lowest latency with raspberry + camera (130ms end-end streaming) which cannot be found in any IP camera with the same price/quality.

jahboater

Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:53 am

Perhaps its time to learn another language such as C++ instead of Java ?
C++, even C++17 is fully supported on all Pi's.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Feb 10, 2018 4:08 pm

jahboater wrote:
Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:53 am
Perhaps its time to learn another language such as C++ instead of Java ?
C++, even C++17 is fully supported on all Pi's.
I suspect that is probably the best option. No real chance getting that java version going I guess.

Python, c++, Ruby might be good options..
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

bertlea

Thu May 02, 2019 8:26 am

Hum.... node.js seems to have the same fate as Java now... Hope Python have better luck. For developing software that can last decades, we shall go back to use trusted C I guess.

hippy

Thu May 02, 2019 12:23 pm

bertlea wrote:
Hum.... node.js seems to have the same fate as Java now... Hope Python have better luck. For developing software that can last decades, we shall go back to use trusted C I guess.
One won't fare any better if C compilers drop support as well. GCC has already dropped support for older ARM devices and is planning to drop more. I imagine ARMv6 will likewise eventually be dropped.

Of course one can keep on using older versions, as one could with Python, Java and anything else, though that's obviously not ideal.

I can understand why older devices may be dropped when something new in a language comes along which can't be supported on those devices, or when there's code refactoring and supporting older devices entails a lot of work for little gain, but when it boils down to 'can't be bothered' I'm not so accommodating.

But against that, the world does move on, everything will become obsolete over time. For me it's mainly a question of whether it's natural and acceptable obsolescence or forced upon us, done to suit the providers rather than those they provide for.

fivdi

Sat Jun 08, 2019 9:51 am

bertlea wrote:
Although Node.js officially dropped support for ARMv6 builds recently, there are still unofficial ARMv6 builds available from nodejs.org at https://unofficial-builds.nodejs.org/download/release/

See also https://github.com/nodejs/unofficial-builds

Return to “General discussion”