sserge

Re: RS & Allied Update #4 (10th Oct)

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:48 pm

My Raspberry Pi (Order #130***) has arrived!!!! Hurray!!!

php-freak

Tue Oct 23, 2012 5:59 pm

My Order (132XXX) arrived today! 512MB Rev2

_LN_

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:16 am

Just registered here so I could chime in. I ordered mine on June 29th, order # 119xxx. At the beginning of last week, I read about the update to 512MB, and was glad to see I'd receive an updated Pi, as I hadn't received a dispatch notice yet. So I was happy I'd at least have something to show for the long wait!
Then on the 17th, I received a parcel from RS, unannounced, with my order, which included a Pi, 256MB v1.0B1.1... :mad:
Needless to say, I wasn't a happy camper. I had to break the seal on the pink box to find out which version they shipped, but didn't even bother to break the seal on the antistatic bag.
The next day (18th) I phoned RS, and then sent an email to raspberrypi-at-rswww.com, stating I wanted to exchange the Pi for a full refund, or a 512MB version if available within a few weeks, at the least possible expense to me.
I've yet to receive a reply...

BTW, I'm in Europe, in the Low Countries -- just next door to the UK.

Lob0426

Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:42 am

So European customers are in the RS/Allied loyalty rewards program also. I am sorry to hear that you also have been rewarded for your loyalty.

I guess I will have to change my sig. It appeared that RS had shipped all of that old stock to Allied. They obviously did not. there is just no real pattern either. Some are getting the 1.0 boards after others have already received 512MB boards. I still cannot get away from the idea that they picked and chose where they sent the 1.0's
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

kspn

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:14 am

:( Rapidly approaching 28 days and still no RS RasPi/Case :(
No Coffee, No Workee

Memran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:21 am

Why are people who ordered after me, getting their PIs, and I am still waiting?

My order ref is 109xxx, from June.

_LN_

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:12 am

Memran wrote:Why are people who ordered after me, getting their PIs, and I am still waiting?

My order ref is 109xxx, from June.
Dunno, anyone's guess... But at least there's a chance you'll get the 512MB version, and won't "benefit" from the RS/Allied loyal customer rewards program...
(perhaps we should abbreviate that to "R/Alcrp" ?) :roll:
Perhaps you could state your location, or at least continent?

Memran

Wed Oct 24, 2012 11:31 am

I'm in the UK.
Getting double memory would be a nice pacifier, but honestly, I won't hold my breath!

_LN_

Wed Oct 24, 2012 12:42 pm

Can't say I blame you...

Anyway, I phoned a different number, and the very nice lady on the other end advised me to re-send the email, which I did -- with a different subject line. I'll keep my fingers crossed, but like you, won't hold my breath... :cry:

hmsq

Wed Oct 24, 2012 3:33 pm

Does anyone know how we can check delivery time for our order? Or when they expect delivery of these to fill their orders?

Thanks in advance

cito

Wed Oct 24, 2012 4:15 pm

my info:
Order 139783

Date of order Mon, 02 Jul 2012, 09:08 PM

RS Stock No. Qty Description Unit Price Goods Value
Case-CLR 1 Raspberry Pi Type B Case - Clear £3.99 £3.99
756-8308 1 Raspberry Pi Type B Single Board Computer £21.60 £21.60
2000114151 1 HDMI cable for Raspberry Pi £3.39 £3.39
Running Total £28.98
Standard Delivery (Despatch expected within 11 week(s)) £4.95
Order total £33.93

still waiting, no updates

When I try to pull up my order info on their website nothing exists.

They charged my card back on July 3, 2012

When I go to their website and put in my order number it says it cant find anything.

I called the US site and they have no records of any order, but said to call the UK site, the UK site said they didn't have any information.

their website sucks and typing in order number just shows no record.

the uk site won't even let me register cause my IP address is from the States.

I've tried a proxy but it detected the anon web proxy I found and tried.

so far no email, no updates, nothing. Just charged me over $50 usd and Im still waiting for any update at all.

sdjf

Wed Oct 24, 2012 10:31 pm

@cito: First, let me note that you seem to have placed the same query in at least 3 or 4 threads here, there is no need to do that. If people are reading the forum, they will see your queries, and putting the same identical post up several times may lessen the chances people will respond rather than enhance them.

If you try posting and do not see your post, refresh your browser screen and it will most likely show the post.

Now, to try to help you. First, it is clear from your order number and charge card information that you probably placed your order with RS. The RS-Allied site does not charge in advance, and the order numbers for there are more like 9 or 10 digits and start with the numbers 20.

With regards to how to get customer service, make sure you read the first post in this thread that you have posted in. In that post, Vic maps out how RS is prepared to deal with Raspberry Pi order issues.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 23&t=19670

It is confusing to customers, but the RS Raspberry Pi store is a separate department and the main RS customer service line cannot help with queries placed at the Pi store, those questions are handled by separate staff who are not accessible by phone to Pi customers.

The phone number likely you called is a different division and can apparently only serve people who placed their orders on the main RS website. They probably heard you mention the USA and that may have made them think you ordered on the Allied site, but you likely did not.

[email protected] makes it clear that if you ordered using the RS Raspberry Pi store, then you should email [email protected] for help. There is probably more information about what to include in their FAQ, but off the top of my head, for sure you need to include your email address and the order number and date ordered.

Quite a few forum members have mentioned that after they emailed them as per the above, RS might not necessarily respond to the email, then again they might, but that is where to write and it can result in them tracking down and shipping if your order has not been shipped and it should have been, based on the current shipping schedule posted by RS.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

_LN_

Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:56 pm

Finally got a reply:
Due to the date of dispatch we shipped out the version with 256mb. As your original order placed was for this version we are unable to exchange this for you. If you wish to return your Raspberry Pi please fill out our returns form from link below and return your goods to us. Once inspected we will issue a replacement or refund your order.
So, it's going back for a refund, and I'll have to pay for return shipping. At least I know where not to order a replacement...

drkenb

Thu Oct 25, 2012 1:40 pm

I placed my order with Allied in August 2012. I recently inquired as to expected shipping date & was told "late December or early January" due to manufacturing problems. Really? 4-5 months lead time? Unbelievable. From where I sit, it seems that you need to get some serious business-experienced folks involved in the operation. If you have two suppliers and they can't come close to keeping up with demand, time to get some new suppliers onboard wouldn't you think? I purchased a brand-new made-to-order automobile and it didn't take anywhere near that long. And seeing that this problem has been going on for months now, I'm interested in learning why it is taking so long, why there are only 2 manufacturers involved, and why there are conflicting stories here on operational issues. Somehow I can't believe that industrial clients placing large orders are waiting 4-5 months for delivery. Simply unbelievalbe.

sdjf

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:01 pm

@drkenb: please share the date in Aug that you ordered and your order number (with X's in last 3 positions if you wish). Thanks!

Allied orders are of the format 250023xxxx or maybe they have jumped to 250024xxxx.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

itimpi

Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:22 pm

drkenb wrote:I placed my order with Allied in August 2012. I recently inquired as to expected shipping date & was told "late December or early January" due to manufacturing problems. Really? 4-5 months lead time? Unbelievable. From where I sit, it seems that you need to get some serious business-experienced folks involved in the operation. If you have two suppliers and they can't come close to keeping up with demand, time to get some new suppliers onboard wouldn't you think? I purchased a brand-new made-to-order automobile and it didn't take anywhere near that long. And seeing that this problem has been going on for months now, I'm interested in learning why it is taking so long, why there are only 2 manufacturers involved, and why there are conflicting stories here on operational issues. Somehow I can't believe that industrial clients placing large orders are waiting 4-5 months for delivery. Simply unbelievalbe.
Note there does not appear to be any significant problem with ordering via Farnell - only ordering via RS. Farnell lead times have slipped slightly recently but that is to a few weeks rather than a few days. I am guessing that by the end of the year RS may finally have sorted themselves out and be able to deliver in a more timely manner as well - but they will have upset lots of people in getting there.

Durazell

Thu Oct 25, 2012 3:01 pm

My info: Order #101xxxxxxx expressed interest: march & may (didn't register at first), placed order Jun 30.

RS-components.
Didn't receive any kind of tracking number, but package should arrive tommorow via DHL. I'll update if it comes..

Lob0426

Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:05 pm

The problem with RS;

They do not want to over order devices, so they order under what they have on order. If you have 100,000 orders, and you take 12 weeks to deliver, you know that a percentage of people will cancel. So you order less than you have orders. The bottom dollar means more than your customer service.

This has saved them producing version 1.1 and most of the 2.0's. So they did save most their effort for the ver. 2.0 512MB. They are claiming 6 weeks lead time, but if their history is taken into account, it will stretch out beyond that. They will under order again, counting on cancelations.

When the 512MB specification was placed, RS had to flush their 1.0's, 1.1's and some 256MB 2.0's before the 512's entered the chain. They could have cleared the parts and started with the new boards. They should have wrote off or donated the earlier versions. But they chose to dump them rather than make a fresh start.

Farnell orders, as many, if not more than they have orders for. So their wait times are much less. They do run the risk that they may be stuck with some devices, but it has put them in the drivers seat. 500,000 RasPi in the wild and probably 350,000+ are from Farnell. They have not had any out-dated stock, they keep them shipping. They did not have any 1.1's left in the supply chain. When the 512MB boards were put into production, they only had to change the memory package. They claim a 3 week lead time, but beat this usually. With the release of the 512MB this is now about 5 weeks.

If 1 million are produced by Christmas, they will mostly come from Farnell. At this time I do not think 1 million will be reached. RS would have to step up it's game and I do not believe they can do it. RS has not even fulfilled all the orders from July yet. New orders are being told December and January.

So what do I think?

Go Farnell!
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

stollar

Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 am

I'm officially loosing patience with RS now...
My order is at something like 16 weeks and counting but a friend ordered from Element14 and received his Pi in only 2 weeks, the new revision board at that.
Come on RS - sort this out as you have so many frustrated customers and it's generally spoiling your reputation.
You could at least update the information on your site so we know how long the wait will be. And if you even dare to send me the old board after such a long wait, I'll send it right back!

hoppler

Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:52 am

Hi,

im from Germany and canceled my order from RS for good. Orderd my raspberry from http://www.vesalia.de on 20.10.2012 and it was delivered 2 days later. it was the element14 version with 512mb. so anyone from germany ill suggest cancel your order from rs and order for example from vesalia or other shops as RS definitly takes to long for shipping

Durazell

Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:40 pm

Just called DHL, and they said they don't see my shipment. They suggested package could be sent via deutsche post, which means package comes via regular (finnish) mail even though there is DHL in the name. -.-. Looks like im not going to get it today after all.

_LN_

Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:44 pm

Just shipped the 256MB Pi back to RS, and ordered a 512MB one from Element14/Farnell. Delivery time is stated as within 3 weeks...

Regarding RS, a movie title comes to mind: "How to lose friends and alienate people".

John42

Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 pm

After reading this forum, and having an order number from RS like 198xxxx, I realized I won't be getting my Raspberry from RS soon, so I cancelled my order.

Farnell doesn't ship to my country (Hungary), sadly :-(
I had to order from another place (eBay), but the price was higher. I found NewIT (http://www.newit.co.uk) too late, they have better prices, and they ship to many places, but I don't know their lead times..

I think what RS is doing is outrageous! Come one, hire more people, get some more stock, whatever, but minimize your backlog! This gives Raspberry a bad name...

paulkerton

Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:31 pm

I cancelled on the 1st of September due to the delay being placed into mid October and they still haven't managed to ship the Pi's for my order number.
Wow, just cancel with RS people. They don't even deserve to be in business, and the RPiF should feel ashamed that they haven't cancelled their contract with them yet.

The sooner RS go bust, the better for society after this utter mess.

Durazell

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Order 1010xxx arrived \^^/

Return to “General discussion”