liz
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Foundation Employee & Forum Moderator

Can you fill in this GCSE coursework survey on cases?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm

I've had an email from Patrick from Lancashire, who's doing some work on the Raspberry Pi (and specifically its casing) for his GCSE Technology coursework. He's asked me if I could publicise the questionnaire he's put together; it would help him a lot if he can get a decent number of responses.

It shouldn't take you more than a minute or so. Please fill in your responses here - Patrick would be very grateful, and we're looking forward to seeing what he produces!
Director of Communications, Raspberry Pi

Burngate

Re: Can you fill in this GCSE coursework survey on cases?

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:40 pm

Done, though I don't think mine will be among the most usefull
"Would a case to contain the Raspberry Pi and all its peripherals be useful?" no

malakai

Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 pm

done ;)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

0117blocky

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:10 pm

Done I thought a case for RPi and peripherals was not a good idea.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm

I was fairly expansive in my comments.

While I think a case for "Pi + peripherals" (which peripherals?) isn't that great an idea, there are a couple of options that might be good ideas.

One is to have a supplemental case that a typical Pi case would sit on top of that could hold things like the power supply (with a switch!) and a powered hub, with options for HDMI-to-VGA output and WiFi, or a "three layer" case that would hold a supplemental board with the above features and a Pi. In either case, including short, fixed jumper "cables" from the Pi to the add on board to reduce cable clutter. Those jumpers would probably be included with the supplemental board.

Of course...someone would have to produce the supplemental board....

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:16 pm

Sorry but that survey is seriously messed up. In particular it is asking us whether a case for the Pi and it's perhiperals would be useful without first telling us what perhiperals they are talking about. In particular is bulky stuff like the keyboard meant to be included?

joan

Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:28 pm

plugwash wrote:Sorry but that survey is seriously messed up. In particular it is asking us whether a case for the Pi and it's perhiperals would be useful without first telling us what perhiperals they are talking about. In particular is bulky stuff like the keyboard meant to be included?
It would perhaps benefit from rewording. I felt that a case for the Pi plus screen and keyboard was not needed.

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:08 am

joan wrote:I felt that a case for the Pi plus screen and keyboard was not needed.
Likewise...though clever packaging of Pi+monitor would interesting...kind of a "Pi in one" system. Can't see much of a point to it for most people, though. Pretty much the same effect could be achieved by simply mounting a cased Pi on the back of the monitor....a little glue and a couple of strips of velcro would do it...
Last edited by plugwash on Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: fix quoting

toxibunny

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 am

Only after completing the survey I realised they meant a case to carry it around in or store it while not in use. I answered as if they were talking about a casing like the pibow and many others.

Oops..
note: I may or may not know what I'm talking about...

JoeDaStudd

Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:51 am

toxibunny wrote:Only after completing the survey I realised they meant a case to carry it around in or store it while not in use. I answered as if they were talking about a casing like the pibow and many others.

Oops..
Snap

pygmy_giant

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:04 pm

I read it as like a lapdock - oops!

(just use a briefcase + bubblewrap?)

exartemarte

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:15 pm

JoeDaStudd wrote:
toxibunny wrote:Only after completing the survey I realised they meant a case to carry it around in or store it while not in use. I answered as if they were talking about a casing like the pibow and many others.

Oops..
Snap
Me too.

! blame Liz! (...the Raspberry Pi [..] and its casing)

But it's an educational exercise, so presumably he's allowed to get it wrong provided he identifies his errors and learns from them.

pygmy_giant

Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:24 pm

wish that worked for grown ups

Burngate

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:08 pm

What he'll learn is that whatever question you ask, and however carefully you phrase it, most respondants will either totally misunderstand, or will try to answer the question they think you should have asked. Then tell you why you should have asked it, and why you're going to get wrong answers. And just to be helpfull, they may go into what they did when they were a lad.

Return to “General discussion”