jason323

Can't SSH to rasperry Pi with public ip address

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:36 am

Hello guys, I'm very new to rasperry pi and these kind of stuffs, I installed a linux operating system on there.

I can ssh to it with local IP, 192.168.1.X. I can install and download stuffs there without any problem. But when I try to use public IP address which is given by my ISP and shared to all my devices in my house. It just can't. I have tried installing no-ip dns on it but it just doesn't work too.

I have never countered this problem before when using digital ocean or linux server hosted by amazon.

Thank you for reading guys!

jason323

Re: Can't SSH to rasperry Pi with public ip address

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:09 am

Guys, just found out that it has to do port forwarding, which is extremely prohibited by my ISP. Is there another way to solve this problem?

Paul Webster

Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 am

Some acronyms and terms in this reply but you should be able to look them up for more detail.

At home you are behind a NAT router.
You would have to setup port forwarding on the router to direct your SSH traffic to your RPi.
However, as soon as you do that you can also expect automated scripts that are run by hackers to find their way to your RPi as well.
Therefore before you do anything like this you should put a number of security measures in place ... at least changing the password of your “pi” account and probably more (fail2ban, port knocking, remove pi account).

Edit: I was writing the above before your reply came in

fruitoftheloom

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:17 am

jason323 wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:09 am
Guys, just found out that it has to do port forwarding, which is extremely prohibited by my ISP. Is there another way to solve this problem?

Raspbian Operating System includes RealVNC Connect;

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/get-ba ... c-connect/
My only "PC" is an Asus ChromeBit running ChromeOS, cloudcentric at its best !
Rockchip Quad-Core RK3288C ARM32 SoC as used in ASUS Chromebook C201 & Chromebook Flip C100PA as well as the Tinker SBC.
3 Mobile Huawei E5330 Mobile Mi-Fi

Martin Frezman

Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:35 am

Raspbian Operating System includes RealVNC Connect;
Of course, you've now handed over all of your network security to every employee, past and future, of VNC.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

Return to “General discussion”