Heater

Re: Why no enthusiast Raspberry Pi products?

Fri Oct 06, 2017 10:18 am

That would do nicely.

I don't particularly need a GPU but I'm sure the guys at Broadcom could figure out how to swap the ARM out for a RISC V core.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:21 pm

RaTTuS wrote:
Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:10 am
make it as close to $0 as possible ,
then use coding to make things better,

more RAM is good , more speed is good , faster comms is better , but not needed for 99% of use

in fact if you where to replace the USB2 module on the SOC with a USB3 module then a lot of the perceived problems would go away , but that is a redesign and will cost $$$$ who knows

[off topic I know]
That is my take as well. Given that redesigns *are* (or--really--have already) taking place, I'm hoping that USB 3 will be part of that.

mlepage

Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 pm

What's eating up the education market around here (southern Ontario) is Chromebooks. A Pi 3 is $50 CAD bare, whereas a Chromebook is $250, and comes with an Intel Celeron chipset (handy for dual booting Linux using Crouton), 4 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, USB 3, ruggedized case, display, keyboard, trackpad, camera, 8hr battery, PSU, and so on. I think it can even run Windows 10 if you're curious. Hard to compete with that. I'm actually thinking of getting one just to run Debian at my desk.

bensimmo

Sun Oct 08, 2017 8:02 am

mlepage wrote:
Sat Oct 07, 2017 9:58 pm
What's eating up the education market around here (southern Ontario) is Chromebooks. A Pi 3 is $50 CAD bare, whereas a Chromebook is $250, and comes with an Intel Celeron chipset (handy for dual booting Linux using Crouton), 4 GB RAM, 16 GB SSD, USB 3, ruggedized case, display, keyboard, trackpad, camera, 8hr battery, PSU, and so on. I think it can even run Windows 10 if you're curious. Hard to compete with that. I'm actually thinking of getting one just to run Debian at my desk.
So you should be able to run the x86 desktop version of "Raspbian", hook up a Pi Zero to a USB port and you have GPIO and easy educationally supported development environment.

I honestly don't think you are competing though, they are complementary to the desktop. At least in places that can afford such luxuries.

Return to “General discussion”