GVD

Can an HDMI 10 inch display be powered by a battery pack.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:18 am

I have been searching for some time now, but cannot find an answer to my problem. I had an earlier post asking about a battery pack for power, and receiving an answer, purchased a battery pack with three USB ports. Plugging the enclosed cable USB2.0-MicroUSB, it works great. The one thing I forgot to mention was that I have a 10” HDMI display, that has an electrical outlet connection. The documentation says it is 12V. Is there a way, connector, cable, or device that I can purchase that will allow me to take the PI with the attached HDMI display that can be used away from the home and electrical power outlets. Thanks in advance for any help.

Hove

Re: Can an HDMI 10 inch display be powered by a battery pack.

Tue Oct 03, 2017 6:49 am

A quick google of "USB 5V to 12V converter" turned up loads of options; take your pick!
www.pistuffing.co.uk - Raspberry Pi and other stuffing!

davidcoton

Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:29 pm

How much current does the screen draw at 12V? The draw from 5V will be roughly 2.5 times greater, allowing a bit for converter losses. Check that is still within the rating of your battery pack USB connector. Use a thick and short cable from battery pack to converter. Lastly, remember that the additional load will shorten the run time.

If that scheme doesn't work (load too high, or run time too short), I would look for a 12V battery system, feeding the screen directly and the Pi through a 12V to 5V converter.
Signature retired

GVD

Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have ordered a converter cable that should work, I appreciate the help. Thanks Guy

Return to “General discussion”