mcaustin1

Buying a RP in the USA

Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:42 am

Where do I by a raspberry pi?

malakai

Re: Buying a RP in the USA

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:21 am

http://www.newark.com/jsp/home/homepage.jsp

Unfortunately for those looking demand has been so high they run out fast next shipment expected November 1st. If you get one delivery is only about 3 days.

If you want to pay a lot more eBay or ship from the UK links on the front page raspberrypi.org on the right side.
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

wirelessmonk

Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:41 am

http://www.adafruit.com/products/998 as well. None in stock at this time. Great people an you can get accessories as well.

billb

Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:33 pm

I got mine from MCM Electronics, but they are currently backordered. If you follow them on twitter (@mcmelectronics), they post updates on what they have in stock. Oooh look at all those Pi -- http://t.co/z34PIYeR :)

W. H. Heydt

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:17 pm

billb wrote:I got mine from MCM Electronics, but they are currently backordered. If you follow them on twitter (@mcmelectronics), they post updates on what they have in stock. Oooh look at all those Pi -- http://t.co/z34PIYeR :)
Of course...that picture is dated Sept. 14....so they've probably been sold already. In any case, MCM is part of the Farnell food chain.

plugwash
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:40 pm

Which is more important to you speed or cost?

Unfortunately I'm not currently aware of any reasonably priced vendors in the US who have stock right now.

There are some Pis on ebay USA but at a fairly steep premium over the foundation price

Newit, coolcomponents and mallison in the UK have stock and are prepared to ship it to the USA but the price they charge to do so makes them even more expensive than ebay. On the plus side you get a rev 2.0 board this way.

caderoux

Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:17 am

I would go with element14/newark. They seem to fulfill orders regularly and do not appear to have a huge backlog - it might take a few weeks but nothing like the people who have been waiting months for RS.

notarat

Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:22 am

When I decided to order a Pi, I ordered through Element14

From the time I placed the order to the time I plugged it in and booted it up for the first time was 5 days.

Of course, I was lucky to order when I did because there was no back order. My second one is not due to ship until 1 November at the earliest.

For the price and capabilities of the Pi, I can wait...

helpen

Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:10 pm

@malakai thank you for the link.
greetings

KCShelby

Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:18 pm

I placed an order with Allied on August 03. At that time, the order lead time was "about two months", but just now they tell me it won't ship until November 26.

Silly.

sdjf

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:22 am

Did you email them or call? When I called before, they insisted answers to all questions were on the website.
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Jeff2

Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Since the Rev 2 boards are out, I finally decided to order a Pi today. I'm in the US and placed my order with Newark/element 14, so we'll see how this goes.

Dweeber

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:12 pm

I've not heard of any Farnell related sites in the US selling the Rev2 board yet.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Jeff2

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:33 pm

Given the wait times I've seen in this thread, I assumed that by the time they ship mine, it would be a Rev 2 board.

That said, a Rev 1 board wouldn't be a problem for me.

abishur

Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:39 pm

For the bold or daring with a soldering iron, Rev 1 boards can be modified into Rev 2 boards ;-)

Wait times at this given moment appear to be much lower for Farnell (Element 14 in the sates). I've heard of people getting them in a week, possibly 2 weeks.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

W. H. Heydt

Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:52 pm

abishur wrote:For the bold or daring with a soldering iron, Rev 1 boards can be modified into Rev 2 boards ;-)
Sorry...but I'm going to nit pick you on that....

Really??? You can burn mounting holes in a Pi board with a soldering iron?

abishur

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:38 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
abishur wrote:For the bold or daring with a soldering iron, Rev 1 boards can be modified into Rev 2 boards ;-)
Sorry...but I'm going to nit pick you on that....

Really??? You can burn mounting holes in a Pi board with a soldering iron?
:lol: I have to admit shortly after I wrote this that I thought about the mounting hole issue and was wondering if there had been any rerouting of some traces to do the mounting holes.
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

Ttalos

Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:44 am

The current "info" on Allied's site is:
"*Please note that due to extreme demand and short supply, the estimated delivery time is uncertain and will likely take several months. We do regret the delay and inconvenience this may cause. "

It seems that nobody is really sure when Allied will be shipping boards.

sdjf

Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:49 pm

Ttalos wrote::

Not at the moment, but I think they will get it sorted out very soon. See what Vic says in this current RS/Allied Update, they intend to post better estimates for Allied shortly:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 23&t=19670
FORUM TIP: To view someone's posting history, sign in, click on their user name, then on "Search User's Posts." || Running ArchLinuxArm on Model 2B and 512MB Model B

Ttalos

Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:38 am

sdjf wrote:

Not at the moment, but I think they will get it sorted out very soon. See what Vic says in this current RS/Allied Update, they intend to post better estimates for Allied shortly:

http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 23&t=19670
I read that thread as well. Considering the posts all over the forum I have absolutely no faith whatsoever that they will straighten things out anytime soon. The people organizing this seem to have put a bad taste in the mouth of people who are hardcore early adopters. That kind of bad reputation is going to hurt them for some time. Maybe even longer than their lead times...

It's really unfortunate, I was looking forward to evaluating one and perhaps suggest including it in a product we are developing at work. If I can't even get ONE in a reasonable time frame there is no way I would suggest using it to my boss. I suppose I'm just leaving the order in place to have a fun little novelty to play with.

itimpi

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Ttalos wrote:
sdjf wrote:
It's really unfortunate, I was looking forward to evaluating one and perhaps suggest including it in a product we are developing at work. If I can't even get ONE in a reasonable time frame there is no way I would suggest using it to my boss. I suppose I'm just leaving the order in place to have a fun little novelty to play with.
There seem to be plenty of people who are getting them within a few weeks (or quicker) if they avoid the RS/Allied route and use one of the alternatives.

Jeff2

Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:37 pm

Jeff2 wrote:Given the wait times I've seen in this thread, I assumed that by the time they ship mine, it would be a Rev 2 board.

That said, a Rev 1 board wouldn't be a problem for me.
Order date for me was 10/10/2012. Estimated ship date is 11/1/2012. So, the ship date estimate is about 3 weeks from the order date.

W. H. Heydt

Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:47 pm

Ttalos wrote:The people organizing this seem to have put a bad taste in the mouth of people who are hardcore early adopters.
Actually...the "hard core, early adopters" got Pis *months* ago. It's reorders, supplemental orders and the "second wave" that have gotten caught up in RS' problems.

Dweeber

Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:07 pm

I'm ready to buy RPi's 3, 4 and 5 now.... kinda would like to get a Rev 2 though.... amazing what a couple holes are worth...

RPi #2 was ordered a while back when it was a 3wk wait. Ordered it on a Sunday before a holiday and it arrived the on Sat at the end of the week.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Jeff2

Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:08 pm

Looks like the Pi I ordered will have 512MB of RAM. Woo hoo!

Return to “General discussion”