CPOpi

Photo Frame as a Display

Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:30 pm

Can someone say whether it would be feasible to use one of the many, (mostly idle!) Photo Frames that flooded the market in the last few years, to act as a minimal Display for the Raspi. Most had a USB interface albeit for plugging a USB memory stick into, but could that same interface be persuaded to take screen information from the Raspi and display it. I'm not thinking of a full blown display, but sometimes a full HDMI connected display is not really needed and something small and relatively low power could be very useful.

Jeff2

Re: Photo Frame as a Display

Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:18 pm

It's been done. Google "digital picture frame linux" and you'll find lots of stuff, including people who've done this using their Pi.

CPOpi

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:06 pm

Jeff2 wrote:It's been done. Google "digital picture frame linux" and you'll find lots of stuff, including people who've done this using their Pi.
Thanks for the 'shortcut' to reality... I will check it out. I know of dozens of people who have given up on using Photo Frames for their original intended use... much more useful to hook it up to a Pi!

relnext

Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:20 pm

A neat project would be to use a photo frame and put everything into an original or MacPlus case. I would do it but i'm way too lazy. But if someone else did it... i would probably give it a try. (have a few MacPluses lying around) but then again... i'm lazy.

ski522

Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:35 pm

I would think refresh rate would be a problem though, they are rather slow on digital picture frames that weren't designed from the start to display video as well.

Return to “General discussion”