srkh

Raspberry Pi Processor part number?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:00 pm

Hi,

Does anyone know the exact processor part number of the rpi?. Most people know its a BCM2835, but I need the full broadcom part number for the 256MB device.

Any help would be great thanks
Steve

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Re: Raspberry Pi Processor part number?

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 pm

Its not a "256MB device", the amount of memory depends on the package on package (POP) RAM mounted on top of it.

srkh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:23 pm

mahjongg wrote:Its not a "256MB device", the amount of memory depends on the package on package (POP) RAM mounted on top of it.

It is referred to as a 256MB part. What is the full part number please? Or is it, you felt your comment was some how useful in some way?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:35 pm

Where is it referred to as a 256MB part?
What you might think off as the CPU may be just the RAM chip that is mounted on top of the broadcom chip below it. The Broadcom SoC itself doesn't contain any RAM.

srkh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:58 pm

mahjongg wrote:Where is it referred to as a 256MB part?
What you might think off as the CPU may be just the RAM chip that is mounted on top of the broadcom chip below it. The Broadcom SoC itself doesn't contain any RAM.
Are you going to tell us the full part number of the CPU with or without DRAM?

Cloudcentric

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:11 pm

srkh wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know the exact processor part number of the rpi?. Most people know its a BCM2835, but I need the full broadcom part number for the 256MB device.

Steve
"Request Product Info to learn more about Broadcom products or contact a Manufacturer Representative in your area."

http://www.broadcom.com/products/BCM2835
I know everything about nothing"

srkh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:15 pm

Cloudcentric wrote:

Steve
"Request Product Info to learn more about Broadcom products or contact a Manufacturer Representative in your area."

This is a direct "copy and paste" from Broadcoms web site?
Is there anything you actually know?

pluggy

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:31 pm

Much of the inner workings of the Pi is a closely guarded secret. you need to be very cozy with or to sign away your life to Broadcom to get anything remotely interesting.........
Don't judge Linux by the Pi.......
I must not tread on too many sacred cows......

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:34 pm

srkh wrote:
Cloudcentric wrote:

Steve

The part number for the SoC is the BCM2835, that's all you need to know. Part numbers for the PoP RAM vary according to manufacturer.

Please refrain from being rude.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

srkh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:44 pm

Is there anything you actually know?[/quote]

The part number for the SoC is the BCM2835, that's all you need to know. Part numbers for the PoP RAM vary according to manufacturer.

Please refrain from being rude.[/quote]

"that's all you need to know" - Actually, no its not. To order this device I need suffix's and prefixes.
I am sorry if you feel I am being rude, but I am speaking the truth here. Maybe, I will refrain from being rude, if you refrain from posting about issues you know nothing about. You knew yourself you had no idea of the full part number when you posted. Stop wasting peoples time with off topic stuff.

srkh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:57 pm

pluggy wrote:Much of the inner workings of the Pi is a closely guarded secret. you need to be very cozy with or to sign away your life to Broadcom to get anything remotely interesting.........
I agree. Well, at least with Broadcom it seems restricted. From what I understand the 2835 requires an NDA, but I really need to have a part number in mind before approaching them.

Steve

jamesh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:21 pm

You, Steve, are being an idiot, who, if I see one more rude post from, is going to be banned from here. Note - I WORK FOR BROADCOM, and therefor know a damn sight more about this than you, so STOP BEING RUDE.

I also know that unless you wan to buy >100k (ish) of these chips, you won't be able to. If you do want to buy a LOT of these chips, then you will need to follow the instructions posted above and approach a Broadcom marketing rep and quote BCM2835. Yes, that's it, BCM2835. No prefix, not suffix. Just BCM2835. They will know exactly what product you mean, and will be able to advise accordingly.

Good luck. You'll need it with an attitude like that.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

srkh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:38 pm

jamesh wrote:You, Steve, are being an idiot, who, if I see one more rude post from, is going to be banned from here. Note - I WORK FOR BROADCOM, and therefor know a damn sight more about this than you, so STOP BEING RUDE.

I also know that unless you wan to buy >100k (ish) of these chips, you won't be able to. If you do want to buy a LOT of these chips, then you will need to follow the instructions posted above and approach a Broadcom marketing rep and quote BCM2835. Yes, that's it, BCM2835. No prefix, not suffix. Just BCM2835. They will know exactly what product you mean, and will be able to advise accordingly.

Good luck. You'll need it with an attitude like that.
----

James, could you stop sending me private messages.

jamesh

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:43 pm

The PM was to try and stop you being rude. Obviously failed. Good luck with your BCM2835 search. You won't be getting any more help here. Good bye.

Cloudcentric

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:27 pm

srkh wrote:
Cloudcentric wrote:

Steve

Yes the part you need to inquire about is BCM2835 and I quoted from the page as it what you have to do, contact Broadcom, you can not buy them anywhere else ! That was my point. I have better things to do then write out diatribes about what has been written already...
I know everything about nothing"

Burngate

Sat Oct 06, 2012 5:37 pm

It would perhaps have been better if the OP had given us his reason for wanting what he's asking for.

At least, better for us. We wouldn't then be thrashing about in the dark!

We would also be able to point him towards what information is available, and towards other discussions about its (non)availability

As it is, we're just feeling we've been shouted at for no reason.

So I suggest this topic be locked

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:10 pm

Burngate wrote:... I suggest this topic be locked
I must say that the other mods have been very forebearing, "I want a BCM2835" has been thrashed to death several times since the Pi was launched, and perhaps even before then... And the rudeness of the OP is quite breathtaking.

Well - I haven't locked a topic for ages. So here goes.
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Return to “General discussion”