jeanblu
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:07 pm

RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:11 pm

I was wondering if I can use a PI to use as a Thin Client which connects to a RDS farm running windows server.
My intention is to replace a real thin client hardware.
Anyone knows if this is possible?

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19840
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 3:21 pm

jeanblu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:11 pm
I was wondering if I can use a PI to use as a Thin Client which connects to a RDS farm running windows server.
My intention is to replace a real thin client hardware.
Anyone knows if this is possible?

Raspbian Stretch has a rdp client rdesktop (you will need to remove RealVNC to avoid conflicts) in the repositories:

https://packages.debian.org/stretch/rdesktop
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35382
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:10 pm

It's better to use RealVNC as it is faster, more secure, easiest to use.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

itimpi
Posts: 1083
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Contact: Website

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm

It's better to use RealVNC as it is faster, more secure, easiest to use.
I think that this is not an option if the requirement is to connect to a Windows system that is set up for RDP connections as realVNC does not support the RDP protocol (or it did not when I last checked)

jeanblu
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:22 pm

itimpi wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:19 pm
It's better to use RealVNC as it is faster, more secure, easiest to use.
I think that this is not an option if the requirement is to connect to a Windows system that is set up for RDP connections as realVNC does not support the RDP protocol (or it did not when I last checked)
That's right, connect to a RDP farm is a requirement. My goal is not to compare which is the best option, but rather to use a PI to replace a thin client. Anyone knows any project to achieve this or help me to?

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35382
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm

Simple answer, stop using RDP on Windows, it's insecure.

You can easily install a VNC server on Windows.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

jeanblu
Posts: 3
Joined: Fri Sep 15, 2017 1:07 pm

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm
Simple answer, stop using RDP on Windows, it's insecure.

You can easily install a VNC server on Windows.
Again, the problem here is not decide which is more secure or not, but just to know if it works on RDP servers. I have a farm established running about 200 thin clients and I want to keep using this infrastructure.
But thanks for your info.

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 35382
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website Twitter

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:52 pm

Your lookout, when you RDP network gets hacked don't complain on here.
Note: Having anything remotely humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

fruitoftheloom
Posts: 19840
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:40 pm
Location: Delightful Dorset

Re: RDP: question from a beginner guy

Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:23 pm

jeanblu wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:50 pm
DougieLawson wrote:
Fri Sep 15, 2017 4:43 pm
Simple answer, stop using RDP on Windows, it's insecure.

You can easily install a VNC server on Windows.
Again, the problem here is not decide which is more secure or not, but just to know if it works on RDP servers. I have a farm established running about 200 thin clients and I want to keep using this infrastructure.
But thanks for your info.
I have given you a Client option to run in Raspbian Jessie / Stretch above, did you try it ??


In Raspbian Jessie an alternative Client was Remmina:

http://youtu.be/U20MJRlPdkQ
adieu

My other Computer is an Asus CS10 ChromeBit running Chrome Operating System.
HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer supported by HPLIP software in Raspbian Buster.
Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1

Return to “General discussion”