inlandchris

bluetooth

Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:57 pm

Hi all, I am interested in Pi 3 but have some questions: can the Bluetooth connect and talk through a cell phone?
exactly, how much watts does Pi 3 take at 5 volts? Can you connect a microphone to the Pi 3? I understand the Pi 3 has a speaker jack which I hope can be connected to headphones?
just some general questions to get answered before I delve headfirst into this product.
Thanks in advance.
Craig

bask185

Re: bluetooth

Tue Sep 12, 2017 12:51 pm

In order:

1. Yes via rfcomm protocol. I don't know if you can use file share though, but I suspect it can do that as well.

2. About 10 watts, recommend you buy a proper pi supply of 2.5 Amps to be safe

3.Yes you can. You can buy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-1-USB-to-3- ... 2565697958 and use an analog mic. Or you can simply use an USB microphone

4. The pi audio jack can drive earplugs and propably a simple headset. There are plenty of audio modules available for driving something biggers.

Douglas6

Tue Sep 12, 2017 1:49 pm

1. Yes the Pi can connect with RFCOMM (for serial data) and for file transfer. But it sounds like you want to connect it as a phone headset, which is more problematic. Supposedly BlueALSA is capable of providing the Headset Profile, but I've never heard of it being accomplished on a Pi.

inlandchris

Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:12 pm

I really appreciate all the help and this forum is pointing me to places I have not been before ( windows programmer in C++, not Linux but close).
I looked up BlueALSA and found many discussions on Raspberry Pi3 and the problems with the propriety Broadcom chip with WiFi.
Yes, I want to connect to a cell phone, plus (getting harder) voice commands to make that connection and disconnect, etc. Its a tall order and lots of studying but been there before with MFC.
So far, discussions are to disable the Bluetooth on the Raspberry Pi3 and put in a USB dongle from ASUS to achieve headphone connections and I haven't even got the the cell phone part but getting there.
Thanks,
Craig

Return to “General discussion”