piglet

Recent forum moderation not in line with Foundation's constitution?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 pm

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/raspberry_pi_foundation_constitu wrote: Section 3: Objects

The object of the Charity is to further the advancement of education of adults and children, particularly in the field of Computers, Computer Science and related subjects.
I'm somewhat shocked that the actions of members and forum mod today appears at odds with the Foundation's constitution.

As was said in the deleted thread about the Asus board, stopping people from helping a drowning person simply because he didn't sail with your company isn't right.

While I quite understand that it's most easy to help people trying to learn to use a Raspberry pi computer, the Foundation's stated aim is to help people learn stuff about computers. Not Raspberry pi computers only.

I'd expect a corporation like Apple to squash any mention of another product on their forums, but where people politely come here looking for help with a computer related issue where they could learn from polite answers people may be willing to give...only for them to receive aggressive responses from forum members and moderator alike this doesn't seem right... :o

Then deleting the thread/moving to another place removing all trace from public view... :roll:

From what I saw today I don't expect a polite answer to this thread, but I can hope.

RaTTuS

Re: Recent forum moderation not in line with Foundation's constitution?

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:12 pm

How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

W. H. Heydt

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:19 pm

a. There's "Off Topic" and then there's so far off topic that it doesn't belong at all. This is, after all, a Forum specifically for the Raspberry Pi. Moving aside or deleting posts for other SBCs doesn't do violence to the RPFs goals. Let people who have issues with non-RPF hardware (or software) seek advice in places that specialize in that other hardware or software. If support isn't actually in those places, then...well...that says something about the support *here*. (And, I think, this particular thread is "Off Topic", though it will be tolerated so long as it doesn't show any signs of becoming less than civil in tone.)

b. Publicly critcising the mods, while given more tolerance here than on some other forums I've seen, is really poor form. If you think one made a mistake in a moderation decision, send a PM *politely* asking that it be changed or even why the decision was made. As I understand it, the more serious decisions (like deleting a thread) are not made just by a single mod, but as a group with input from the RPF. It a narrow path to tread. Also consider that the mods are volunteers doing the work on their own time.

I, for one, appreciate the work the mods do, even when I may disagree with specific actions.

piglet

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:19 pm
I, for one, appreciate the work the mods do, even when I may disagree with specific actions.
Totally agreed. I know how difficult it is. I have moderated on other technical forums for many years.

Learning how to use computers and trouble-shooting problems on them is learning - even when not on pi computers. Shutting down people looking for help just feels wrong.

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:31 pm

piglet wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:24 pm

Totally agreed. I know how difficult it is. I have moderated on other technical forums for many years.

Learning how to use computers and trouble-shooting problems on them is learning - even when not on pi computers. Shutting down people looking for help just feels wrong.
So we should open the off-topic section of this forum up to every n-th random SBC on the market that doesn't-quite-work? The site would end up being a giant dumping ground of threads asking for tech support. Server bandwidth costs money.

It's the responsibility of board manufacturers to support the products that they make available. If they want to reference our examples / use the free Pi OSes on their own boards - then go right ahead.

This forum is principally for discussion about, and support on the Raspberry Pi. We have to have all-or-nothing permissiveness for threads like these, there's no fairness in making special cases for particular boards. As referenced in the other thread about this exact same topic, the line is generally drawn at "tech support" rather than just "discussing features about SBC n".
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh

Mon Sep 11, 2017 3:39 pm

piglet wrote:
Mon Sep 11, 2017 2:02 pm

Then deleting the thread/moving to another place removing all trace from public view... :roll:
You missed the word temporarily. I've said that thread will be reinstated once I have had time to mod it in to something more sanitary. It's a standard way of dealing with threads that have some stuff in that is inappropriate. Move to the mods section, edit, return.

And just to add to what jdb has said. If we allowed support for *all* posts to do computing education, which is what the constitution would, in your eyes, allow, this forum would be unusable. There are plenty of places on the web for computing education, just as there should be places on the web for support of competitors products. If there are not places to support competitors product, that is not our problem, but our competitors. I cannot imagine ANY other provider of services that would allow advertising and tech support for competitors who actively and deliberately try and take sales away from them. How many times have you heard the phrase "Pi Killer"?

"Hmm, I've got a great idea for a Pi killer, I'll design and make it, but I know, I'll get the RPF to fund my technical support by using their forum and software, because I cannot be bothered. Means I'll make more money for myself. Hahaha Suckers"
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Return to “General discussion”