mj_dev

electric power consumption project help needed

Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:32 pm

hello,
i am student of computer science i have project with raspberry pi device to manage electric power consumption through android app.
does anyone know which raspberry pi device or specific model will be suitable for me
kindly help me out. THANKX!!!!

Heater

Re: Project help

Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:21 am

Your project goals are too vaguely specified to give a definitive answer to your question.

In the mean time, get a Raspberry PI 3 Model B. It's the latest, greatest, fastest, biggest Pi so far. And still pretty cheap.

That will make your software development much more comfortable.

When you have everything working nicely you may find that a Pi Zero or whatever will run the same code more efficiently. Then it's time to demonstrate that with a Pi Zero or whatever. Or just point out that it is easily doable in your project write up.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

bask185

Re: electric power consumption project help needed

Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 pm

In case you need to the raspberry to be power efficient, the last thing you need to do is actually buying a Pi 3. It has significant more power consumption than the Pi 2. The Pi zero is even better, but you need to look if that model suits you as it has no USB port.

But if you need to monitor power consumption of some device which is not the same raspberry. You might as well take an arduino with a low power BT or Wifi module. Arduino has the advantage the the GPIO pins can supply more juice, programming it is too easy and it is cheaper.

If you need to get such a power monitoring device to work, an arduino is the quickest as well as cheapest way.

davidcoton

Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:20 pm

bask185 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:00 pm
The Pi zero is even better, but you need to look if that model suits you as it has no only one USB port.
FTFY
Signature retired

bask185

Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:45 pm

I ment a conventional host USB port....... :?

rpdom

Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:34 pm

bask185 wrote:
Mon Aug 28, 2017 1:45 pm
I ment a conventional host USB port....... :?
Do you mean a full sized USB port? Because the one on the Pi Zero works perfectly as a host port. It just needs an adaptor to plug devices with full size USB plugs into it.

Return to “General discussion”