Lomax

Any point with S.M.A.R.T. capable MicroSD cards?

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am

I see that the Transcend TS16GUSDC10I includes S.M.A.R.T. support - never seen that on a MicroSD card before. Any point to it?

fruitoftheloom

Re: Any point with S.M.A.R.T. capable MicroSD cards?

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:21 am

Lomax wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:15 am
I see that the Transcend TS16GUSDC10I includes S.M.A.R.T. support - never seen that on a MicroSD card before. Any point to it?
Possibly as it could inform of bad blocks and wear level, but the most important question is is there Linux Software availableto read the SMART ?
Thinking outside the box is better than burying your head in the sand...

Lomax

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:28 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Possibly as it could inform of bad blocks and wear level, but the most important question is is there Linux Software availableto read the SMART?

Indeed, I'm of course wondering speficially WRT to the Pi and Raspbian. I've had a few cards go bad over the years and it's always a pain. Currently working on a remote surveillance system where advance warning of card issues would be extra useful, but those cards are £20 a pop so there is a bit of a premium. Unless it offers some tangible benefit I'd rather save a little and get some other MLC cards.
Last edited by Lomax on Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SkyRise

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 am

Looks like there is a package in Debian (smartmontools) containing 'smartctl' which reads this data, but not sure what benefit you'll get...

Lomax

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:23 pm

SkyRise wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:29 am
Looks like there is a package in Debian (smartmontools) containing 'smartctl' which reads this data, but not sure what benefit you'll get...

Good to know about the package, but yeah, is there any real benefit? I mean I just don't know; that's why I asked.

DougieLawson

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Possibly as it could inform of bad blocks and wear level, but the most important question is is there Linux Software availableto read the SMART ?
sudo apt-get install smartmontools

I run that on all Raspberries that have hard drives. Can't see any point running it on SDCards (which are a dime a dozen to replace).
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Lomax

Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:59 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 12:49 pm
Can't see any point running it on SDCards (which are a dime a dozen to replace).

It's got nothing to do with the cost, but the inconvenience of a (remote) system going down unexpectedly. If the extra £5 for S.M.A.R.T. support means I'd get advanced notification of an impending failure then I would consider it money well spent. But will it?

Lomax

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:08 pm

For a bit more context: I only started looking at this when I realised it would be really handy to run a syslog server on the remote Pi, mainly to log router events and call logs from the attached SIP telephone. The increased writes being a concern wrt flash reliability. My fist thought was to get some USB sticks of decent quality, and put the logs on there, but then I might as well use MicroSD cards in a USB adapter, in which case I could put an order in for ten of them, to get a quantity discount (MicroSD being far more universal than USB). Since it's been a while since I last picked a "work-horse" MicroSD I decided to have a look around, and that's when I saw the Transcend card with S.M.A.R.T. support. But I wasn't able to find out if this offers any real benefit - so I thought I'd ask about it. And just to be clear: USB attached SATA drives are not a good option in my case.

allfox

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:17 pm

Is it possible to run the Pi read-only, and let it post log to some where else, say, to an email box?

And there are SLC based SD cards. More erase cycle, more zero on price tag.

Ronaldlees

Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:20 pm

I have always thought that the smart data caps and the smartmontools were pretty useful. On the hard drives, they give a nice powered-up/hours report, and (IIRC) a temperature report, among other things like sector reports.

For the number of uSD cards a typical Pi user would need, the small premium doesn't seem like much. The 8GB card seems actually to be cheaper on Amazon. They do brag about "power cycle robustness" relative to the card, which is stamped with the term "industrial."

Power cycle robustness - meaning (I suppose) they are less likely to burp when the power kicks out? May be worth a try, although recent Sandisks have been very power cycle robust, as far as I am concerned ...
I am the Umbrella man

Lomax

Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:01 pm

allfox wrote:
Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:17 pm
Is it possible to run the Pi read-only, and let it post log to some where else, say, to an email box? And there are SLC based SD cards. More erase cycle, more zero on price tag.
Yep, making /root read only is definitely on my to-do list, but I can't log to the cloud - hence my thinking of having a second MicroSD card in a USB adapter to log to. I've looked at SLC cards, but wow they're expensive - up towards ten times more, and I very much doubt they are ten times more reliable.

Basically, I'm trying to choose between buying six of these for £85:

https://www.memoryc.com/19818-16gb-tran ... gL7kPD_BwE

Or six of these for £130 (quantity discount kicks in at six):

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/products/1249646/

Return to “General discussion”