jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Re: Raspbian Stretch (9.1) has arrived !!

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:02 pm

bask185 wrote:
Wed Aug 23, 2017 1:12 pm
Why do people apply updates as soon as possible, it is such a pointless thing to do. If you have a working raspberry which does all it's jobs, then why upgrade to some new version with risc of loosing functionality?

I would only upgrade if I come across a limitation or bug which is already solved in new software update. But if my media centre pi's SD card ever becomes corrupted over 10 years. I simply stick a new one in with a backed-up image of the raspbian I am using today because it works.

Windows has to update to ensure safety among the billion users. But why Linux has to update the entire OS every 6 months instead of 2 years? I know that standing still is moving backwards in the case of technology, but every 6 months?? Didn't the entire SD card corruption terror started after some Raspbian update?
Linux gets updates much more frequently than that. My Ubuntu box get security and other updates every day. But those are KERNEL updates. What we have here is a distribution update, where the entire application system is updated to newer version. Although worth noting that Debian is a slow update - the apps will still be lagging behind the latest versions.

So you might want to update to get newer version of apps (some apps in Jessie are two years or more out of date), latest security fixes, more basic functionality. It may even be faster!

However, if Jessie works for you, you don't need to change it.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

Heater

Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:16 pm

bask185,
Windows has to update to ensure safety among the billion users.
Linux and the software that runs on it has security issues from time to time as well you know.
But why Linux has to update the entire OS every 6 months instead of 2 years?
It does not.

Linux, the kernel, is changing furiously every day.

Distributions built on top of it do not. Debian releases for example:

Squeeze (6) February 2011.
Wheezy (7.) May 2013.
Jessie (8) April 2015.
Stretch June 17, 2017.

Some say that two years between major upgrades is too long.

Personally I value the long term stability. My desktop PC's have been updated continuously through all those releases without any major breakage of their functionality. It's kind of magical.

hippy

Thu Aug 24, 2017 10:49 am

bask185 wrote:
Why do people apply updates as soon as possible, it is such a pointless thing to do.
Some people like to be 'ahead of the herd' for bragging rights and other reasons. Some want to update early to help resolve issues they may have been having or to see if that helps. Some will want to test their code, apps or hardware against what everyone will soon be using.

For most users I would agree there is no urgency to update, better to leave it so any initial unexpected issues can be identified and resolved rather than facing them oneself.

I normally wait a while, let others lead the charge into the unknown, for exactly those reasons, but I had a new system to setup so took the plunge with a new install.
bask185 wrote:
If you have a working raspberry which does all it's jobs, then why upgrade to some new version with risc of loosing functionality?
Why indeed and I would advise against that. Always take a backup or, better still, get a new SD Card and use that. That makes backing-out of an upgrade so much easier. Remembering of course to check that any backup taken can be restored and will be usable.

Rushing in, risking all, and ending up in an dead-end with no way back, is not a wise course. Some people may not however be aware of that, some may be but forget it in the excitement of something new coming along.
bask185 wrote:
if my media centre pi's SD card ever becomes corrupted over 10 years. I simply stick a new one in with a backed-up image of the raspbian I am using today because it works
Me too - for a Windows 98 system I have working and want to keep working as is. For my Pi I have a different agenda. At the end of the day it depends on what one wants and how one is using their systems. I like my Pi's on the latest so I am part of the herd which are on the same.

bask185

Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:43 pm

I get the points, that new testers are needed to test the new things and check for bug. Like I said "in the world of technology, standing still is going backwards". So that is clear ;)

I know that raspbian does not release updates as soon every 6 months but other distros like ubuntu do. Thankfully they come with Long term support versions which will be supported 5 years.

The thing is, that I was doing research to replace our current windows xp and 7 computers with visual basic 6 apps by a new open source platform. For us and for many others it simply sucks that MS stopped developing visual basic 6. Atleast it will be available for W10.

With my ubuntu computer I could eventually cross-compile apps for the rpi. At that point, when I had a perfectly working setup, I would be able to build apps for raspberries and other linux machines for all time to come. Being 'afraid' for updates, I did some research to the 'preservation' of the software on my machines. Raspberries come with clone-able SD cards so that end was quickly covered. But in case of the PC there was risc that on a certain day it would die and I would no longer be able to set up a new working setup, because either Qt or Ubuntu or the website www.qtrpi.com would change course drastically with updates.

My first game computer with windows Xp lasted 7 years. And now I intend to use my current PC with windows 7 for 7 years. I tried windows 8...total fail OS for computers, than upgraded to 10, was better but my laptop tended to crash on it :x So in the future I'll be using Linux instead :D

It was just my personal experience that people want to use their OS for as long as possible... in case with windows atleast.

runboy93

Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:08 pm

There seem to be very nasty bug with Stretch:
viewtopic.php?p=1203490#p1203490

And also need newer Chromium stable (.113 rev) has fixed many regressions that were in browser till .101+ revision, an actual stable release was delayed for all platforms because of some of these regressions, here are fixes compared to current .89 revision:

https://chromium.googlesource.com/chrom ... er&n=10000

Return to “General discussion”