atom

CPC Product Recall: Power supply

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:33 pm

Just thought I'd let people know who bought a USB power supply for their Raspberry Pi recently and haven't been contacted yet, CPC are recalling them because of some sort of fault. The PSU is a Powerpax SW4142 (CPC order code PW03038), it was (until recently) linked from CPC's Raspberry Pi page, and was included with the bundle they sell. CPC contacted me today to say to stop using it (they didn't give a reason but I assume it's a potential safety hazard), and they would be sending out replacements. I don't know if this affects every one they've sold or just certain ones, but if you haven't been contacted yet you may want to stop using it for now.

Burngate

Re: CPC Product Recall: Power supply

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:55 pm

There was a similar post last week:
http://www.raspberrypi.org/phpBB3/viewt ... 63&t=18382
calverb » 25 Sep 2012 09:33
I just had a call from CPC who supplied me with a "starter kit" (board, case, PSU and SD card). It appears there is a product recall for the PSUs included in their kit - they are contacting owners and arranging a replacement.

I understand the issue relates to the case securing screws on the PSU.

10/10 to them for the speedy action.

Bob
Can't find any reference to it by CPC here, even though they appear here quite regularly and have their own thread

hayesey

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:34 pm

Yes, I've already had mine swapped out by farnell. The issue is the fixings between the casings halves can fail meaning the back case comes off when you try to unplug it. This leaves the mains wiring exposed and could be quite dangerous so its definitely worth getting it replaced. Farnell refunded mine and also sent some replacements for free. The replacements have separate usb cables too which I think are better.

robotron

Wed Oct 03, 2012 4:48 pm

Heres the details of the letter regarding the recall

https://twitter.com/FY5/status/25353606 ... to/1/large

cugel

Wed Oct 03, 2012 6:16 pm

I've contacted them about this and requested a return code and I haven't had any reply at all. :roll:

dave_p

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:47 pm

My copy of the letter arrived this morning. Within the hour there was a delivery man at the door with the traditional CPC one-foot-cube parcel containing a new power supply. No indication as to what to do with the old one.

calverb

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:53 pm

dave_p wrote:My copy of the letter arrived this morning. Within the hour there was a delivery man at the door with the traditional CPC one-foot-cube parcel containing a new power supply. No indication as to what to do with the old one.
Mine came in a padded bag - they must have run out of big boxes and air-cushion filling. The letter I got says you have to ring them and they will arrange collection. Details on the back.

somebodysdad

Wed Oct 03, 2012 8:46 pm

CPC rang me yesterday to let me know there was a safety issue with the power supply and the replacement arrived today, wow now that is good service.
Please please be careful on the way up 'cause pound to a pinch you'll be spotted on the way down :o)

SiriusHardware

Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:27 pm

somebodysdad wrote:CPC rang me yesterday to let me know there was a safety issue with the power supply and the replacement arrived today, wow now that is good service.
I was in the same position - so happens that I had never used mine because I have been powering my Pi from a home made powered hub and a much beefier power supply ever since I got it.

After reading the explanatory letter (full marks to CPC for being so straightforward about what the problem was, and for sending me a replacement before I even needed it), I looked at the original PSU and sure enough, only the slightest bit of force was required to pull the back of the casing away from the front, exposing the PCB inside.

The fault was just as CPC said it was: The two case fixing screws were too short, and therefore only hanging onto a couple of millimetres of plastic which snapped off when subjected to only a little bit of force.

The letter said that if I sent the original PSU back, what I paid for it would be refunded even though they had sent me a replacement supply. - a good way to try to ensure that the faulty ones are removed from circulation, I thought.

I'm not actually going to send mine back - I found some better screws (same width/much longer) and fixed it, because I had another Pi on the way and needed a PSU for it anyway. If the cover is securely fixed - with decent screws or decent screws AND glue, (but definitely not just with glue) then in my opinion as a hardware technician, these PSUs do not present any threat. If I send it back, then a perfectly decent bit of electronics will end up in a WEEE bin or in landfill.

Return to “General discussion”