davidcoton

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:52 pm

Pithagoros wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 7:36 pm
It was OK before and it's still OK.

Never used prosliver so can't comment on that.

Does what it needs to do, no need to make a big deal.
With respect, I suggest you try all three themes. You might be more impressed by one that you don't yet know :D :o
Signature retired

pcmanbob

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:06 pm

There seems to no longer be a button to subscribe to a thread, in the raspberry_pi skin.
just one more thing to the team to look at sorry........
We want information… information… information........................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading are not supported

blachanc

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:30 pm

Was this suggestion dropped (increase maximum picture size)?
I hate to link to external source. (I understand that other might disagree, I just want the official take on this)

James_comment_on_increase_picture_size-request

Thanks,
Ben
Autism/Asperger syndrome: what is your score on this quiz?
http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=62&t=70191

jdb
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Tue Jul 25, 2017 8:48 pm

These comments refer to the UI elements of the theme that was presented to me by default on login. For reference I am using Firefox 54.0.1.

There is no indication that drop-down lists are drop-down lists (e.g. UCP / board preferences / my board style). They are rendered the same as context tabs and menu items.

The font style of the top overlay bar changes when viewing the homepage vs when viewing the forums.

The top overlay bar is obstructive and wastes screen real estate, given that every single forum post has an anchor link that takes you to the top of the page.

Animated fades on highlights are unneccessary cruft, given the minimalistic design of the rest of the skin.

WHY ARE TITLES FOR FORUM SECTIONS AND THE TITLES OF THREADS WHEN VIEWING A TOPIC RENDERED IN ALL CAPS?

16pt font size for posts is too big. Signature font weights are stronger and larger than post body text. This seems to interact wierdly with signatures of posters that have specified their own font sizes.

The rendering of "display posts from previous:" with sort parameters in ALL CAPS is overbearing. Also, the text seems to be centred for no discernable reason.

The sub-title <p class="author"> below the post title has redundant information - I can see who posted the reply by looking to the right of the post.

The "RPI" theme looks a hell of a lot better. Suggest changing this to be default.
Rockets are loud.
https://astro-pi.org

jamesh

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:51 pm

Couple of things. I cannot take credit for any of the changes, it's down to the web team and Mythic beasts who have been very responsive. Secondly, the raspberry theme was not done by the web team, they just took it on so it does have some rough edges.

The story behind this very late update is quite interesting...
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
"My grief counseller just died, luckily, he was so good, I didn't care."

jamesh

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:54 pm

Thirdly, there are still a whole raft of improvements that need to be done, this update was to get Phpbb up to date and get the basics in place for better and faster updates in the future.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...

davidcoton

Tue Jul 25, 2017 9:58 pm

The old software kept me logged in, and reconnected automatically when I rebooted.
At present I get logged out when I'm inactive for a bit.
Is there a way to restore "Keep me logged in"? I can't find it (RPI theme).
Signature retired

DougieLawson

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:05 pm

Try this: ucp.php?mode=delete_cookies

Then log back in. That normally fixes the phpBB3 login quirk.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

PeterO

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:21 pm

One of several places where something isn't rendering propperly in the RPI skin.
And are "quotes" in a smaller/less readable font ?

PeterO
Attachments
Font.png
Font.png (3.78 KiB) Viewed 3434 times
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

drgeoff

Tue Jul 25, 2017 10:41 pm

Of the 3 themes, I've switched to RPi as the least bad. At this stage I find all 3 to be inferior to the old default. Hope I won't still be saying that in a month's time.

In the topic lists I miss the numbers which indicated the number of views and number of replies.

Martin Frezman

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 pm

Top left, under the search bar, three horizontal lines, click for menu.
Nope. Sorry.

That says "New Posts". I have no problem finding a click that says "New Posts".

The problem is that "New Posts" doesn't do the same thing that "New Messages" does.

I could explain the difference, but it would take some words to do so, and I trust you can work it out for yourselves. Work it out how "New Posts' is basically useless.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

fruitoftheloom

Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:50 pm

After spending this afternoon / evening trying to work out whether RPI or raspberry_pi theme will work for me.......

.............gave up and reverted to prosilver theme :shock:
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

mattmiller

Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:56 am

As very much a critic of the original RPi forum theme ( "worst thing on T'internet ever" might be something I've said in the past) - the new one works for me

I can look at new posts and I can look at my posts and that's all I need

I'd like buttons to directly between these two states but I couldn't do that on prosilver so can't complain that I can't do it here either :)

I've got poor eyesight but I can read stuff using the new one

Prob not perfect but 1000% better than the abomination that RPI thought was a good idea to promote Pi before :)

RaTTuS

Re: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:15 am

piglet wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 3:16 pm

Code: Select all

@-moz-document domain('www.raspberrypi.org') {
  .wrap { max-width: none !important; 
          padding: 5px !important;
  }
}
3) Save or preview if you have forum tab open
4) Go to forum and see how it looks
thanks
https://userstyles.org/styles/145710/rattus-raspberry
if you want it install it via styleish
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

piglet

Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:36 am

Yay! Glad it was helpful.

That's what I like about stylish - it lets you try out CSS changes to sites you're testing/commenting on before being able to suggest specific changes that you know make things better.

It's also nice for fixing the look on your own screen of fugly sites that have good content but don't welcome suggestions to improve!

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:21 am

Martin Frezman wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 11:42 pm
Top left, under the search bar, three horizontal lines, click for menu.
Nope. Sorry.

That says "New Posts". I have no problem finding a click that says "New Posts".

The problem is that "New Posts" doesn't do the same thing that "New Messages" does.

I could explain the difference, but it would take some words to do so, and I trust you can work it out for yourselves. Work it out how "New Posts' is basically useless.
Odd. I have been moderating this forum for 5 years, I use New Posts ALL THE TIME.

But you might mean (Since you couldn't be bothered to actually explain what you mean - thanks) find the latest message son a thread? In RPI theme, the blue icon next to the thread jumps you to the first unread message in that thread. There is a problem with the active area on the icon at the moment, so you need to use the left had side of it.

dave j

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:46 am

The text used for posts is still too low contrast for me. I know there's a fashion for using grey text because some people find it more readable but that just makes it less readable for others - you're never going to be able to pick colours that suit everybody. The proper solution to this is to not specify colours (at least for what you'd consider the main text of the page) so the colours used are those the user has specified in their browser. If you're in deeply nested CSS and don't want to make huge changes to your style sheets the initial keyword can be used to get back to the default e.g. color: initial. (IE doesn't support it though).

Similarly with fonts. Only specify font sizes using measurements relative to the size the user has specified in their browser. You shouldn't specify feint/light font weights - some people find them harder to read.

procount

Wed Jul 26, 2017 9:55 am

I've always used the Prosilver theme since I was first made aware of it as it provides the best functionality for my needs and quick navigation. The new version of this looks a lot better on my mobile too so I don't have to keep zooming and panning to read anything anymore.

The Raspberry_pi theme must be for a specific type of user, because its 10 foot UI is not suitable for me. It is lacking the quick links menu to navigate to active topics / your posts etc. as well (unless I missed it - I did find the New Posts button on the right). It will be interesting to see how this is developed further.

The RPi theme is improving all the time and seems to have most, if not all, of the functionality of Prosilver, but I'll probably stick with Prosilver for the time being due to familiarity and usefulness.
PINN - NOOBS with the extras... https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=142574

BlackKnight_UK

Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 am

All three have their problems, Prosilver is the nicest to look at and easiest to read but lacks to many links, like hiding "New Posts" in a menu.

The Raspberry_pi theme looks like it was made for people with very bad eyesight, all the text is huge.

The RPi has a lot of buttons missing, at least on my screen, just small boxes which make it unusable.

Personally, the old look was much better, easy to use and readable.

Definitely a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - and as far as I know the themes weren't broke!

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:31 am

BlackKnight_UK wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:16 am
All three have their problems, Prosilver is the nicest to look at and easiest to read but lacks to many links, like hiding "New Posts" in a menu.

The Raspberry_pi theme looks like it was made for people with very bad eyesight, all the text is huge.

The RPi has a lot of buttons missing, at least on my screen, just small boxes which make it unusable.

Personally, the old look was much better, easy to use and readable.

Definitely a case of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" - and as far as I know the themes weren't broke!
In fact, we did need to upgrade to the latest PHPBB due to security issues, and the new prosilver came with it.

We will hopefully be more able to make more frequent fixes to our own skins now, so bugs reports and sensible comments are very welcome.

Martin Frezman

Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 pm

Odd. I have been moderating this forum for 5 years, I use New Posts ALL THE TIME.

But you might mean (Since you couldn't be bothered to actually explain what you mean - thanks) find the latest message son a thread?
I apologize for what may be seen as rudeness in neglecting to explain fully the difference between the two clicks. It is due mostly to the fact that it would take a lot of words to explain, and it is a sorry and sad, but inviolate, fact that, on online forums, the more words you write, the more words there are for people to mis-interpret (with the usual results, that we have all seen time after time).

That said, I think I've solved my problem, although the solution is certainly far from ideal (yes, this does seem to be a case of "If it ain't broke...", although I understand and accept the explanation given - which is that "We didn't really set out to 'fix' it; the new version(s) just came in unbidden when we upgraded the PHP version").

Anyway, the solution (for me at least) is:

1) Switch to "Prosilver".
2) Under the "3 vertical lines" menu (which, for the most part, is pretty much always there, but, to quote Chuck Berry, you never can tell!), there are entries for "New posts" and for "Unread posts". The former of these is, as noted earlier, pretty much useless. The later, however, is the one that you want. Using "Unread posts", you can quickly get the "thread selector" (trn terminology; who knows what they call it here???) to display a list of all threads that have unread posts on them - and only those threads. The primary problem with "New posts" is that it shows a lot of threads that don't have unread posts on them.
3) Having switched to "Prosilver", use your browser's "Zoom" capability to bump up the text size to make it viewable without a magnifying glass.

This all works, but it is still annoying having to go to the menu and pick the option every time; it was much better when it was a standalone click visible on the screen.

Now, on to my next complaint: The notification emails seem to have stopped working. I no longer get email when any of "my" threads gets a new post. Do I need to refresh my settings? Is that something that didn't get copied over from the old system? Or is it just broken?
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:27 pm

But you might mean (Since you couldn't be bothered to actually explain what you mean - thanks) find the latest message son a thread?
I apologize for what may be seen as rudeness in neglecting to explain fully the difference between the two clicks. It is due mostly to the fact that it would take a lot of words to explain, and it is a sorry and sad, but inviolate, fact that, on online forums, the more words you write, the more words there are for people to mis-interpret (with the usual results, that we have all seen time after time).

That said, I think I've solved my problem, although the solution is certainly far from ideal (yes, this does seem to be a case of "If it ain't broke...", although I understand and accept the explanation given - which is that "We didn't really set out to 'fix' it; the new version(s) just came in unbidden when we upgraded the PHP version").

Anyway, the solution (for me at least) is:

1) Switch to "Prosilver".
2) Under the "3 vertical lines" menu (which, for the most part, is pretty much always there, but, to quote Chuck Berry, you never can tell!), there are entries for "New posts" and for "Unread posts". The former of these is, as noted earlier, pretty much useless. The later, however, is the one that you want. Using "Unread posts", you can quickly get the "thread selector" (trn terminology; who knows what they call it here???) to display a list of all threads that have unread posts on them - and only those threads. The primary problem with "New posts" is that it shows a lot of threads that don't have unread posts on them.
3) Having switched to "Prosilver", use your browser's "Zoom" capability to bump up the text size to make it viewable without a magnifying glass.

This all works, but it is still annoying having to go to the menu and pick the option every time; it was much better when it was a standalone click visible on the screen.

Now, on to my next complaint: The notification emails seem to have stopped working. I no longer get email when any of "my" threads gets a new post. Do I need to refresh my settings? Is that something that didn't get copied over from the old system? Or is it just broken?
Interesting - for me, Unread posts is a complete waste of bandwidth (there are about 100k of them), whereas new posts is perfect for moderating purpose - you can see all the new posts, from all forums, on page. And getting the latest post from a known thread is just a matter of clicking on the blue icon to the left of the thread.

Not sure about notifications, I'll flag it up to the team.

jamesh

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:10 pm

We've just added the standard website top bar to the RPI theme - what do people think?

buja

Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:08 pm

Interesting - for me, Unread posts is a complete waste of bandwidth (there are about 100k of them), whereas new posts is perfect for moderating purpose - you can see all the new posts, from all forums, on page. And getting the latest post from a known thread is just a matter of clicking on the blue icon to the left of the thread.
I agree, that's why I miss it (the New posts link) so much (in the updated prosilver theme) :!:
Last edited by buja on Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “General discussion”