mattmiller
Posts: 1779
Joined: Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:25 pm

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:00 am

A new feature of the `rpi` theme:
:)
@grega Well done - shame you wen't given the job earlier :)

User avatar
MattHawkinsUK
Posts: 536
Joined: Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:48 pm
Location: UK
Contact: Website

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm

Since the update I've struggled to get the Forum search to work. Certain searches always result in a "we are currently experiencing high traffic" page.

For example :
search.php?keywords=energenie

It does this on multiple machines from different internet connections.

However this search will happily give me 37441 results :
search.php?keywords=test

The forum doesn't seem to like "energenie" for some reason!
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:50 pm

Just so you know, same thing here with your links.



Also on RPI there is no PM button from a post?
Intentional or Just Missing?

DirkS
Posts: 7733
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:50 pm
Also on RPI there is no PM button from a post?
Intentional or Just Missing?
The little balloon to the right of 'Contact'

User avatar
grega
Site Admin
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:01 pm

MattHawkinsUK wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:14 pm
Since the update I've struggled to get the Forum search to work. Certain searches always result in a "we are currently experiencing high traffic" page.

We've been seeing some issues with phpbb's native fulltext search since the upgrade to 3.2, currently investigating a few options so hopefully search will be in a better shape soon!
Software Engineer, Raspberry Pi Foundation

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm

DirkS wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm
bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:50 pm
Also on RPI there is no PM button from a post?
Intentional or Just Missing?
The little balloon to the right of 'Contact'
I cannot see contact.
On the top
Left there is the name (takes you to profile and you can pm from there but it's not linked to the thread).
Right a green dot (online/offline)
Bottom
Left quote and report.

DirkS
Posts: 7733
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:27 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm
DirkS wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:57 pm
bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 5:50 pm
Also on RPI there is no PM button from a post?
Intentional or Just Missing?
The little balloon to the right of 'Contact'
I cannot see contact.
On the top
Left there is the name (takes you to profile and you can pm from there but it's not linked to the thread).
Right a green dot (online/offline)
Bottom
Left quote and report.
Are you actually using the RPI skin as you said above or was that short for raspberry_pi skin?
Attachments
2017-08-02_192753.png
2017-08-02_192753.png (5.15 KiB) Viewed 4174 times

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 pm

Actually RPI.
Nope none of that is there.

User avatar
davidcoton
Posts: 2850
Joined: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:37 pm
Location: Cambridge, UK

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 pm
Actually RPI.
Nope none of that is there.
What browser/OS?
It's there in Firefox/Win10.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

DirkS
Posts: 7733
Joined: Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:46 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:20 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:10 pm
bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:08 pm
Actually RPI.
Nope none of that is there.
What browser/OS?
It's there in Firefox/Win10.
And in Chrome on Win10

User avatar
grega
Site Admin
Posts: 23
Joined: Thu Feb 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:27 pm

bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm
On the top
Since you say the post's user info is 'On the top' I'm assuming you're viewing this on a narrow-width screen where the forum layout shifts to single-column (see attached). If this is the case, hit the username and you'll be taken to the user's profile page where you can then send a PM.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 21.23.03.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 21.23.03.png (38.1 KiB) Viewed 4104 times
Software Engineer, Raspberry Pi Foundation

User avatar
bensimmo
Posts: 2504
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2014 3:02 pm
Location: East Yorkshire

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:55 pm

grega wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:27 pm
bensimmo wrote:
Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:09 pm
On the top
Since you say the post's user info is 'On the top' I'm assuming you're viewing this on a narrow-width screen where the forum layout shifts to single-column (see attached). If this is the case, hit the username and you'll be taken to the user's profile page where you can then send a PM.
I mentioned you can get it from there but it's not linked to the post itself then.

Yes Chrome/Android. Portrait (and landscape iirc)

The 'mobile' view needs some work. To much space is used at the top, the burger and home need to move up into the dark area with the messages and profile (but at the right).
It just wasted space and makes the layout not work nicely.

And the forum directory but needs to stay within its bounds.

I'll attach pictures and sketches once we are allowed to attach modern day sized files. Another thing that needs looking at.

W. H. Heydt
Posts: 8209
Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 7:36 pm
Location: Vallejo, CA (US)

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 am

latest iteration looks fairly nice (glad to have the "return to <current forum>" tag at the bottom, for instance), BUT can you *please* go back to actual BLACK text. This medium/light gray is extremely hard on these old eyes.

gkreidl
Posts: 5562
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 am

I've always used Prosilver, which is not great, but usable, and have just switched to "RPI" to see what you are talking about here.

The top bar is broken on all webkit based browsers (tested with kweb, epiphany and qupzilla on the RPi).
forum1.jpg
forum1.jpg (36.75 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
The colors of this part are designed following the principle: How to put the greatest possible stress on human perception.
forum2.jpg
forum2.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 4017 times
Why the hell does the forum page download style sheets from other servers?

Code: Select all

<link href="//fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Roboto:400,400i,700,700i" rel="stylesheet">
<link href="//maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/font-awesome/4.4.0/css/font-awesome.min.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen, projection" />
Does google pay someone for helping to track forum users?
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

User avatar
rurwin
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 4248
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:16 pm
Contact: Website

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 am

gkreidl wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 am
Why the hell does the forum page download style sheets from other servers?
Does google pay someone for helping to track forum users?
I use NoScript all the time, so I can tell you that that is standard practise. I've had to green-light GoogleAPIs a long time ago because so many sites use it. Copying it to RPI servers would probably be a logistical nightmare of dependencies and updates. It would probably lead to bugs because scripts were not where they expected to be.

gkreidl
Posts: 5562
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:07 pm
Location: Germany

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:34 am

rurwin wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 7:01 am
gkreidl wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:28 am
Why the hell does the forum page download style sheets from other servers?
Does google pay someone for helping to track forum users?
I use NoScript all the time, so I can tell you that that is standard practise. I've had to green-light GoogleAPIs a long time ago because so many sites use it. Copying it to RPI servers would probably be a logistical nightmare of dependencies and updates. It would probably lead to bugs because scripts were not where they expected to be.
These are CSS styles, not scripts, e.g.

Code: Select all

@font-face {
  font-family: 'Roboto';
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 400;
  src: local('Roboto'), local('Roboto-Regular'), url(http://fonts.gstatic.com/s/roboto/v16/zN7GBFwfMP4uA6AR0HCoLQ.ttf) format('truetype');
}
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Roboto';
  font-style: normal;
  font-weight: 700;
  src: local('Roboto Bold'), local('Roboto-Bold'), url(http://fonts.gstatic.com/s/roboto/v16/d-6IYplOFocCacKzxwXSOKCWcynf_cDxXwCLxiixG1c.ttf) format('truetype');
}
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Roboto';
  font-style: italic;
  font-weight: 400;
  src: local('Roboto Italic'), local('Roboto-Italic'), url(http://fonts.gstatic.com/s/roboto/v16/W4wDsBUluyw0tK3tykhXEfesZW2xOQ-xsNqO47m55DA.ttf) format('truetype');
}
@font-face {
  font-family: 'Roboto';
  font-style: italic;
  font-weight: 700;
  src: local('Roboto Bold Italic'), local('Roboto-BoldItalic'), url(http://fonts.gstatic.com/s/roboto/v16/t6Nd4cfPRhZP44Q5QAjcC50EAVxt0G0biEntp43Qt6E.ttf) format('truetype');
}
Using local copies shouldn't be a problem.
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

dave j
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:46 am

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:01 am
latest iteration looks fairly nice (glad to have the "return to <current forum>" tag at the bottom, for instance), BUT can you *please* go back to actual BLACK text. This medium/light gray is extremely hard on these old eyes.
This. It's not hard to set CSS to use the text colour the user has specified in their browser settings for the majority of text on a page and only deviate from that if you have a good reason to.

Milliways
Posts: 276
Joined: Fri Apr 25, 2014 12:18 am

Re: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 4:13 am

fruitoftheloom wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:11 pm
The Raspberry Pi theme is still ugly as sin :shock:

The prosilver theme is worse than before :roll:

Personally would of preferred a clean of of the amount of Categories as at present the choice is bewildering :D
Actually there is a need for more categories (although better hierarchical organisation may help).

The current situation MAY be an issue for those who see their role as ANSWERING questions, but makes it difficult for users to FIND EXISTING ANSWERS. As a consequence most don't seem to bother looking, but just ask another question.

Bosse_B
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:43 am

QUESTION:
I see people talking about using different skins, does this mean on the RPi forum?
If so where can i change the skin to something more useful?
Bo Berglund
Sweden

pcmanbob
Posts: 3596
Joined: Fri May 31, 2013 9:28 pm
Location: Mansfield UK

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:01 am

Hi.

Assuming you are using default skin and logged in.

On grey bar at top of board index click on your user name
select user control panel from drop down box
select board preferences from menu bar
select edit global setting ( default anyway )
in main field my board style. 3 options on arrow button.
Please only ask questions in the forum I will not answer questions sent to me directly via PM
Remember we want information.......................no information no help
The use of crystal balls & mind reading is not supported

Bosse_B
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am

Thanks! I think Prosilver is more to my liking....
Bo Berglund
Sweden

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 32106
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:12 pm

Bosse_B wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am
Thanks! I think Prosilver is more to my liking....
Have you tried RPI? It's like Prosilver but without the ugly blue & blueness with a frosting of excessive blue.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3B*3, 3B+

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

User avatar
rpdom
Posts: 12308
Joined: Sun May 06, 2012 5:17 am
Location: Essex, UK

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:17 pm

I like the blue :-)

User avatar
DougieLawson
Posts: 32106
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 11:19 pm
Location: Basingstoke, UK
Contact: Website

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 7:00 pm

rpdom wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:17 pm
I like the blue :-)
That explains a lot.
Microprocessor, Raspberry Pi & Arduino Hacker
Mainframe database troubleshooter
MQTT Evangelist
Twitter: @DougieLawson

2012-18: 1B*5, 2B*2, B+, A+, Z, ZW, 3B*3, 3B+

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Do not send private messages.

Bosse_B
Posts: 640
Joined: Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:53 am

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:08 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:12 pm
Bosse_B wrote:
Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:29 am
Thanks! I think Prosilver is more to my liking....
Have you tried RPI? It's like Prosilver but without the ugly blue & blueness with a frosting of excessive blue.
Well, I like small fonts etc so one can fit more on each page. The last one just was too big for me.
Bo Berglund
Sweden

Return to “General discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Gavinmc42 and 15 guests