Imperf3kt

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - Comments here please.

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am

jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 pm
If the forum isn't broken, upgrade it until it is. Makes sense.
It was broken. We were well behind in security upgrades. So that's what we have done, upgrade to fix the security issues.

Always worthwhile getting all the facts before posting.
Perfectly understandable.

Alright then, in future, where can I find these facts? As far as I saw, we were only informed of an upgrade, but not the reason behind it.
Is there somewhere in particular I should be looking?
Pi3b - 'normal use' temperature (25% CPU load) 76℃, ambient 21℃

Zebu

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:31 am

piglet wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:15 am
I'm not sure what browser your screen shot was from, but this should work for Firefox or Chrome until the people maintaining the CSS get round to fixing the width issues.

I'm happy to wait till the good people massaging the code decide what to do, half the web pages out there look like that on a 2560x1080 ultrawide. More giving some feedback than concerned :) . For the record Chrome on Win10

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 am

Imperf3kt wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:17 am
jamesh wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:54 am
Imperf3kt wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:28 pm
If the forum isn't broken, upgrade it until it is. Makes sense.
It was broken. We were well behind in security upgrades. So that's what we have done, upgrade to fix the security issues.

Always worthwhile getting all the facts before posting.
Perfectly understandable.

Alright then, in future, where can I find these facts? As far as I saw, we were only informed of an upgrade, but not the reason behind it.
Is there somewhere in particular I should be looking?
Mentioned in this thread I think. Point being, if you are going to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" you should be sure it's not broken. Look before you leap and all that jazz.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Please direct all questions to the forum, I do not do support via PM.

Martin Frezman

Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm

Mentioned in this thread I think. Point being, if you are going to say "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" you should be sure it's not broken. Look before you leap and all that jazz.
We understand that it was required on your part to do the upgrade. So, the changes - and the need to retro-fit (i.e., figure out how to be as functional under the new "skin"s as we were under the old one(s)) - is inevitable. It's called "The March of Progress".
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

jamesh

Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:54 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:11 pm
We understand that it was required on your part to do the upgrade. So, the changes - and the need to retro-fit (i.e., figure out how to be as functional under the new "skin"s as we were under the old one(s)) - is inevitable. It's called "The March of Progress".
If you are missing functionality, use Prosilver. That is simply a more modern version of the Prosilver that was there before, and has the same functionality, maybe accessed slightly differently in places.

Martin Frezman

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:38 pm

maybe accessed slightly differently in places.
FSVO "slightly".

Actually, I never used Prosilver at all before the change. I always just used the default (didn't have to tweak *ANYTHING*; it just worked).

It's too bad - because I like the look of (both of) the other skin(s), but they seem to be missing the all important "Unread posts" functionality (now).

piglet

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:40 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
blah blah
So, what changes to the CSS for the themes and functionality provided by this version of the phpBB software do you advocate?

jamesh

Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:57 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
maybe accessed slightly differently in places.
FSVO "slightly".

Actually, I never used Prosilver at all before the change. I always just used the default (didn't have to tweak *ANYTHING*; it just worked).

It's too bad - because I like the look of (both of) the other skin(s), but they seem to be missing the all important "Unread posts" functionality (now).
I still cannot figure out what is wrong with the "Unread posts" functionality that is under the burger icon, top left. Seems to do what you are requesting. Or right click on the icon next to a message thread to go to the first unread message in that thread.

PeterO

Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm

jamesh wrote:
I still cannot figure out what is wrong with the "Unread posts" functionality that is under the burger icon, top left.
(Move,click,move,click) rather than the previous (move,click) :?:
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),Aeromodelling,1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

bensimmo

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:11 pm

PeterO wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:01 pm
jamesh wrote:
I still cannot figure out what is wrong with the "Unread posts" functionality that is under the burger icon, top left.
(Move,click,move,click) rather than the previous (move,click) :?:
PeterO
Two way thumb taps for me.

What are the stays on devices accessing the site?
It's so much nicer on mobile now on RPI and prosilver (prosilver seems a touch better, perhaps as it gives more information and functionality.
RPI look prettier.
The other is terrible.

davidcoton

Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:22 pm

piglet wrote:
Zebu wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:15 am
I figure about half of my work PC's monitor is in use using RPI
See here: viewtopic.php?f=63&t=189117&p=1191273#p1191273

( To install: https://userstyles.org/styles/145762/piglet-raspberry )

I'm not sure what browser your screen shot was from, but this should work for Firefox or Chrome until the people maintaining the CSS get round to fixing the width issues.
Piglet,
Your fix apparently addresses two of the three available themes. The question is about the RPI theme, which I don't think your fix covers.
"If it ain't broke, fix it until it is."
“Raspberry Pi is a trademark of the Raspberry Pi Foundation”
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

piglet

Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 4:22 pm
Piglet,
Your fix apparently addresses two of the three available themes. The question is about the RPI theme, which I don't think your fix covers.
I''ve just installed on another computer from the userstyles.org link above and the RPI theme width problem is corrected by it as far as I can see. Please let me know if it doesn't work when you try it - I'm no expert in this area and I may have missed something..

davidcoton

Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 pm

piglet wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:48 pm
- I'm no expert in this area and I may have missed something..
Hey, I claim copyright on that line :D
Sorry I missed the reference to RPI in your code.
So, I don't want to install Stylish (security concerns). Can I still install the update? How?
I have a nasty feeling that the longer lines may not be so readable anyway (the eye does not follow a line easily above a certain page width -- that's why older Bibles and reference books use 2-column formats). But I can't really comment intelligently without trying it.
The Pink Unicorn is a symbol of commitment to sensible discussion of future versions of the Raspberry Pi ™

calleblyh

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - FOLLOW TOPIC MISSING

Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 am

Since the july 25 update I am missing the possibilty to follow updates on a topic. Have I missed something ?

jamesh

Re: STICKY: NEW FORUM SKIN - FOLLOW TOPIC MISSING

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:34 am

calleblyh wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:11 am
Since the july 25 update I am missing the possibilty to follow updates on a topic. Have I missed something ?
Go to the forum that contains the topic, find the topic, click on the blue icon to the left of the topic title. That should take you to the first unread message in that topic.

beta-tester

Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:50 am

hi,
1. is there a way, to make the icon in fron of the thread always as link to guid you to the latest post of the thread - not only when there are new ones and the icon is blueish?
link-no-link.PNG
link-no-link.PNG (7.03 KiB) Viewed 2595 times
the blue icon is a link to the most recent post, the gray icon is only an icon - click on it does nothing.

2. it seems, that the square bracket handling of the new forum skin is a bit buggy or less robust than it was before with the previous forum skin. when you put text into square brackets while the first part starts like a formating block, it will completely confuse the rendering of the text parts. the old logic was stopping to see square brackets as formating, as soon additional or wrong content was reached in the square bracket enclosure.
e.g.
only the code block is not affected as far i can see

Code: Select all

[test test test][i am a test][u are not me][b e happy][bla bla bla][code can be so beautyful][end of test]

same as plain text
[test test test][bla bla bla][_code can be so beautyful][end of test]
same in quote block wrote:[test test test][bla bla bla][_code can be so beautyful][end of test]

(i have changed the [_code ...], because it was screwing up the displaying logic too much to show what i mean)
{ I only give negative feedback }
RPi Model B (rev1, 256MB) & B (rev2, 512MB) & B+, RPi2B (1GB), 64GB microSDXC1 class 10, HDMI 1920x1080, keyboard-mouse-combo (wireless), PiCamera, ethernet-cable, 5V/1.2A power supply, Wifi dongle (rt5370)

karrika

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:42 pm

Very nice! Great improvement. The categories come up very nicely.

I also love the top header with clear Notifications, Private messages, Logout.

All nicely visible and accessible.

Great work!!!
:D

MrEngman

Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:58 pm

Why doesn't the Raspberry_Pi skin have an unread posts button?
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

piglet

Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:46 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:47 pm
So, I don't want to install Stylish (security concerns). Can I still install the update? How?
I'm not aware of any concerns with stylish (https://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major ... o-privacy/) - I've used it since it was initially written with no issues that I've seen myself or seen raised about it.

However, for a no-code way to achieve the same result in Firefox, create/edit userContent.css with the CSS you want to use. The best description I have seen on how to do that is here: https://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2013/03 ... n-firefox/ Follow the instructions creating the directory "Chrome" and the file "userContent.css" within it if they don't already exist.

Add the content from the code block below into the userContent.css and restart Firefox (not sure if required but I did this to be sure it's loaded).

@-moz-document domain("raspberrypi.org") {
.wrap /*Prosilver*/, .chunk /*RPI*/ {
    max-width: none !important;
    padding: 5px !important;
}

/*Raspberry_Pi*/ 
.container {
    width: 100% !important;
}
.bs-row {
    margin-left: auto !important;
}
}
To be absolutely sure it was this that was working I added " background-color: red !important;" to each block and sure enough as I type you this reply, in addition to the wanted changes....the red looks horrid!

Martin Frezman

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:04 pm

MrEngman wrote:
Yep. That's the question. That's what's preventing me from using that skin.

I think the answer is "Because James doesn't see any point in that option".

MrEngman

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:20 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
MrEngman wrote:

May be. I did see a post where he said he only used the new posts button. Can't quite see what use that could be.

I would have thought the unread posts button would have been the most useful and is what I always used on the old skin. Now I've changed to prosilver as it has it but reading unread posts is not good as it used to be.

Previously I would select unread posts, then select the first post in the list and then when I returned to the unread posts the post I had just read had been removed from the list so I could then just select the next post and so on.

So select the first post using the mouse, then backspace to return to the unread posts list and use the enter key to select the next post, and backspace and enter, backspace and enter, etc. to look through the remaining posts in the list. Much easier than now.
Simplicity is a prerequisite for reliability. Edsger W. Dijkstra

Please post ALL technical questions on the forum. Please Do Not send private messages.

davidcoton

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:40 pm

piglet wrote:
I'm not aware of any concerns with stylish (https://www.ghacks.net/2017/01/04/major ... o-privacy/) - I've used it since it was initially written with no issues that I've seen myself or seen raised about it.
On the Firefox Add-Ons page for Stylish, there's a "Permissions" link with a caution symbol. Press it, and the pop-up text includes:
Please note this add-on uses legacy technology, which gives it access to all browser functions and data without requesting your permission.
That is a security concern, at least to me.
piglet wrote:
However, for a no-code way to achieve the same result in Firefox, create/edit userContent.css with the CSS you want to use. The best description I have seen on how to do that is here: https://ffeathers.wordpress.com/2013/03 ... n-firefox/ Follow the instructions creating the directory "Chrome" and the file "userContent.css" within it if they don't already exist.

Add the content from the code block below into the userContent.css and restart Firefox (not sure if required but I did this to be sure it's loaded).

@-moz-document domain("raspberrypi.org") {
.wrap /*Prosilver*/, .chunk /*RPI*/ {
    max-width: none !important;
}

/*Raspberry_Pi*/ 
.container {
    width: 100% !important;
}
.bs-row {
    margin-left: auto !important;
}
}
Thank you, that worked exactly as intended. I'm surprised that post remain readable, but the index pages do fall apart a bit. (Columns on the right side don't connect visually to the title on the left).

rpdom

Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:52 pm

davidcoton wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2017 3:40 pm
Thank you, that worked exactly as intended. I'm surprised that post remain readable, but the index pages do fall apart a bit. (Columns on the right side don't connect visually to the title on the left).
It worked for me too. Thank you !

jamesh

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:12 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
MrEngman wrote:

Wow, way to get banned (again). Did the last ban not teach you ANYTHING?

I have NOTHING to do with the reskin, I didn't design it, I haven't had anything to do with the implementation, and what input I have had hasn't been acted on yet.

Of course there is actually an unread posts button, but don't let that inconvenient fact get in a way of a whinge. It's behind the burger button, top left, click on that, click Unread Posts. If that is NOT the unread post button you actually want, PLEASE spend the time explaining exactly what you want. Because so far that has not been clear.

If you have read this thread, you will see that the Unread and New Posts options were already explained, twice.

jamesh

Sat Jul 29, 2017 5:20 pm

So a quick explanation as to why I use "New Post" not "Unread posts". This is to do with moderation (and interest). New posts gives me two or three pages of posts, including unmoderated posts as well as post from existing users. So its quick and easy to quickly scan every new post that has arrived since the last time I checked, and find the ones that need moderating, and also the ones that are interesting to me. So I get to scan, and some times examine, every post that has arrived since the last time I checked, and the next time I check, I get a completely new list of the latest posts.

If I click "Unread" posts, I again get a list, which is 40 pages long, but this will include unread posts I will already have passed over without reading. So its of very little use from a mod point of view.

I've been on this forum for 6 years, that is a heck of a lot of unread posts.

Return to “General discussion”