bugsy_malone 666

Audio DAC vs headphone jack on rpi?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 7:45 pm

So I`m looking at building myself a little juke box unit type thing, that will be battery power, have an lcd touch screen for control and a separate amp for speakers, all running off a 5v battery pack setup.

Then i got to the thought about connecting the amp to pi and thought well if i use an A/+ or B/+ it has a jack connection, but had seen some people say its not that good. Obviously a zero has no audio out and you have to use a DAC.

So I wondered in the real everyday do I need a DAC or is the headphone jack fine?

davidcoton

Re: Audio DAC vs headphone jack on rpi?

Sun Jul 23, 2017 9:02 pm

Have you read this about an alternative driver?
Also try googling "site:raspberrypi.org audio quality"
Signature retired

NEOhioPi

Mon Jul 24, 2017 4:05 am

I have been using the Pimoroni pHat DAC on one of my Raspi 3s. The headphone jack sounded a bit too noisy to me. The Pimoroni documentation and set-up instructions are excellent.

bugsy_malone 666

Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:32 pm

So Also I was wondering if using something like a USB sound card would eliminate 'noise' and if the poorer quality is just limited to the audio jack itself?

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:16 pm

The "poor quality" is due to the fact that its simply directly generated from the untreated (noisy) digital PWM signals of the SoC of the Pi Zero. A PI3 with digital noise-free buffering, and the latest PWM drivers sounds much better. But yeah, an USB sound card, or an I2C codec chip will sound much better.

Return to “General discussion”