ShuttleMunky

Rpi is cheap, peripherals are not!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:23 am

One of the Raspberry's most attractive sides is its price... It is what atracted me also. But, damn! accesories and other adaptors/cables/case/hub/ wifi dongle etc etc.. Really lightened my wallet and tripled the price of rpi.,

I had none of the required stuff to run the pi.. Trying to be a geek is hard these days.. Anyway, why i opened this thread, i don't know... Have fun with the pi!

Azuria.dk

Re: Rpi is cheap, peripherals are not!

Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:20 am

I had the same experience when i first started working with Arduino.
It is gonna cost some green to start geeking around with electronics. ;-)
Fortunately for me now, i have a lot of stuff, and am just waiting for my logic level converter parts, so i can use my arduino's features via ArduinoPi, which looks very promising. :)

bredman

Sun Sep 30, 2012 12:53 pm

It all depends on where you buy your accessories. If you buy on the high street you will be fleeced.

Poundland is good for things like HDMI cables and SD card adaptors.

eBay and Amazon are good for power supplies, SD cards, keyboards, mice, WiFi devices.

I personally buy everything from dx.com, dirt cheap but you need to allow 3 weeks for delivery to Europe.

pjc123

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:37 pm

"Rpi is cheap, peripherals are not"

That's nothing.......wait until you start a project with all kinds of electronics controlled by the pi. My pi has now cost me an order of magnitude of its original purchase price! But all that fun tinkering is priceless.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:

https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:45 pm

Yes, if you buy a HDMI cable at something like Media market, in a nice blister pack, it can cost you as much as the PI itself, but you can also buy a perfectly good HDMI cable for Euro 1.59!

I bought my cable at farnell for about Euro 5.- , and a perfectly acceptable transparent case for about the same amount also from farnell. The PSU is a simple thing with a USB port on it from a Kodak camera, I had lying around, and only bought the USB to mini USB cable.

the keyboard and mouse I had lying around also, but I have seen mice for Euro 2.- and suitable keyboards for Euro 5.-

W. H. Heydt

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:52 pm

Part of it is knowing where to shop. Another part is how much miscellaneous computer "stuff" you happen to have laying about.

There are--at most--only two items that will cause on necessarily to lay out noticeable amounts of cash. One is a monitor, if you don't already have one to use for the Pi (where a TV counts as a monitor). The other is, if you need HDMI to VGA conversion.

Other than that, impacting a budget only happens with optional add ons.

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:57 pm

If you need HDMI to VGA conversion, you might as well plonk down the money for a second hand 17" LCD monitor with a DVI-D input, they go for about $50,- from many sources, these days. Many people don't even know their "VGA" monitor also has a digital input, that can be connected directly to the PI with a suitable cable.

W. H. Heydt

Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:18 am

mahjongg wrote:If you need HDMI to VGA conversion, you might as well plonk down the money for a second hand 17" LCD monitor with a DVI-D input, they go for about $50,- from many sources, these days. Many people don't even know their "VGA" monitor also has a digital input, that can be connected directly to the PI with a suitable cable.
Newegg carries manufacturer refurbished 17" 1280x1024 monitors starting around $55. to get one that has DVI connector, you're looking at $60 to $65...IF they're in stock.

I can get a very nice HDMI-to-VGA converter for a bit under $39...or about $30 on sale.

If I have to *buy* a monitor, then, yes,it's worth it to pay an extra $10 (maybe less) to get DVI. If I only have a VGA monitor, then getting a converter box is cheaper--though I'll grant that it isn't a "forward looking" device.

For grins, there is the 27" panel that my wife uses. It has VGA input, but no DVI. It does have HDMI input, though.

TideMan

Mon Oct 01, 2012 1:14 am

Alternatively, you can run headless, where you access the RPi from another machine using puTTY and/or TightVNC over your LAN.
Then, the only expenses you incur are an ethernet cable and a power supply.
If you wish in this world to advance, your merits you're bound to enhance.
You must stir it and stump it and blow your own trumpet, or trust me you haven't a chance.
Ruddigore, G&S

stevech

Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:57 am

I use vnc

frizkie

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:04 pm

A lot of peripherals are unnecessary. I considered buying a Pi Cobbler from Adafruit, but I realized how much of a waste it is. My local electronics bulk supply store sells everything you can imagine for insanely low prices. I got got a 26-pin ribbon cable header for 75 cents, three feet of 26-pin ribbon cable for $1.47, and I already had a bunch of 22 gauge copper solid-core wire I could use. Boom, no need for a Pi Cobbler:

ShuttleMunky

Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:15 pm

mahjongg wrote:If you need HDMI to VGA conversion, you might as well plonk down the money for a second hand 17" LCD monitor with a DVI-D input, they go for about $50,- from many sources, these days. Many people don't even know their "VGA" monitor also has a digital input, that can be connected directly to the PI with a suitable cable.
I actually tried to attach a DVI to VGA converter to my HDMI cable which was also converted to DVI and it did not work ofc LOL... since those converters are dirt cheap... But i have no idea why HDMI to VGA converters are expensive and require additional power! ( Since i don't wanna run my windows from vga (it definately has lower quality) so i am using the DVI input for that)

mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:33 pm

There are two types of "digital video interface", (DVI) one of which is (drum-roll....) analog!
Its known as DVI-A, it just a commercial trick.

Your DVI(-A) to VGA "adapter" is nothing but a cable, that expects the "DVI" connector to be a DVI-A, connector and thus to have analog (VGA) signals. But the PI just has digital signals on its HDMI connector, (and thus on the DVI connector too) so there is nowhere any conversion from digital to analog going on. That is why it doesn't work!

real (HDMI to VGA) adapters are expensive because they contain logic to convert the digital high speed serial signal in "slower" digital parallel signals, and then using D/A converters into three Analog signals, (for red green and blue) and various synchronisation signals. More expensive adapters go even a bit further, and store a complete video frame (a complete screen) in a fast memory, and then at its own pace and resolution converts it to a VGA signal, but these more flexible adapters cost several hundred euro. But even the "simple" converters use several hundred mA, so they typically need their own power supply.

MattHawkinsUK

Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:39 pm

Your DVI to VGA "convertor" is probably just an adapter that re-arranges the VGA pins available in some DVI connections. HDMI carries pure DVI so it easy to adapt to DVI ... bu there are no VGA signals.

You would need a device that actually converts a pure digital signal to an old school analogue. That takes a circuit and power. If you thinking you are "converting" HDMI to VGA with adapters you've got in a drawer then it is unlikely to work.

In most cases buying a new monitor is easier and cheaper.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

ShuttleMunky

Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:40 pm

thanks for the enlightening :=)

i am now running my monitor on vga :( and Pi on Hdmi to dvi ... (hope it will be temporary when i learn how to control my pi with SSH)

Dweeber

Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:00 pm

The initial one was more expensive as I needed more stuff... but a lot of that stuff I've not used since..
First one was close to $100... each additional is under $80.

Common kit now is

o RPi ($35 + $5 shipping)
o WiFi USB Dongle $13
o AC Power Supply (still have a number of them floating around from other stuff) $5
o Case if used ($12-$15)
o HDMI Cable ($3.99 for 6ft)
o Kensignton MicroUSB 16GB Class 4 with SDCard Adapter ($9) x2 since I have a backup.

Other stuff I got... that I don't use much.

o USB Keyboard (needed one anyways) & USB Mouse ($FREE as it came with another computer not used)
o HDMI to DVI cable (will just get an adapter for a portable one now) $12
o Powered Hub $12

Shipping for most of this stuff was included with my Amazon Prime membership (Free 2day shipping).

but of course it doesn't stop
o Adafruit Pi Plate
o Adafruit Pi Cobbler
o Adafruit USB to serial cable
o Adafruit short SDCard holder
o Soldering Iron station (unused so far) $15 and other stuff ($?)
o Wire, resistors, switches, relays ($??)

o Time (Priceless)
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

Lob0426

Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:41 am

I think the "cheapest" setup I have is my RasPi server I found a MusicPower USB power supply I had laying around (I think it cost about $30 10 years ago) and a $5 12" micro B to USB A cable. Throw in an 8GB SD card (($8 on sale at Wal-Mart last Black Friday) actually a friend sent me the card for free) and you have about as cheap as you can get.

I think the "next cheapest" setup I have would be the Lapdock. When they are available you can get them for about $50 to $60, when you can find them (mine was $75 with cables). Cables cost about another $20 if you shop around. The new PCB will be easier as you just need a USB micro female to A male cable. The micro female HDMI is a little tougher to find. Usually you have to find an adapter. Mine cost about $4.50. You end up with a HDMI screen, keyboard, trackpad, USB 2 port hub, Power Supply and it all can run from the internal battery. Good value in my book! Of course that was just for the bare essentials. I added a 640GB USB HDD ($55 at Wal-Mart Black Friday sale) and a Linksys WUSB54GC WiFi adapter ($25 4 to 5 years ago) There is a 12" A male to A female cable ($5) that I had laying around from somewhere. It allows me to have the WiFi on the back of the screen for better reception. this about the cheapest setup for a portable RasPi!

My last setup is the most expensive. A USB wireless keyboard and mouse that was sitting around ($40). A 19" Dell DVI-D monitor ($100 refurb) that was not being used. A HDMI to DVI adapter cable I had (it cost around $32 when I bought it). A USB 4 port powered Hub with 2A power supply ($21) and a 8GB class 6 SD card ($15). I used a iPhone charger ($29 and $5 USB cable) at first, but now it is back-powered by the hub power supply. I added a USB SATA adapter (Nippon Labs $13) and a 320GB 2.5" HDD ((Another acquisition, from several years ago at a Black Friday sale ($50).

There really are a lot of ways to put together a working RasPi system.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

W. H. Heydt

Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:56 am

The active HDMI-to-VGA converter I'm using (Monoprice ~$39) also splits out audio from the HDMI signal to two RCA jacks.

Since I have several monitors already, some of which are VGA only, it is cheaper to use the converter than to get another monitor. For any monitors I *add* (I have an intended use that will involve 6 Pis), I will get ones that have DVI input, since VGA only ones cost nearly as much as ones that have DVI.

In addition, on my desk I have a Pi hooked up through an existing KVM switch (TrendNet TK-802R) that uses VGA and PS/2 inputs. For that it's HDMI-to-VGA converter and the Adafruit USB-to-PS/2 adapter...which works with a Rev. 1 Ver. 0002 board (that is, it will work behind the 140mA polyfuse).

Other than that...anything is just cables and power supplies.

The only reason I go into data on the HDMI-to-VGA converter is that others may be in a position where it's either use one, or get another monitor.

If people want, I can post a whole bunch of links for where I get things. Fair warning...I live in California so, all else being equal, I tend to go for shorter shipping times.

JoeDaStudd

Tue Oct 02, 2012 8:13 am

The only parts I've had to buy have been a HDMI to VGA adapter (which I've not really used :oops: ) and a wireless dongle.
The rest I had lying around.

The biggest challenge is knowing where to buy good and cheap products. Its oh so easy to just walk into a supermarket or smart techy looking shop and get fleeced.
A £10 cable will be almost (if not completely) identical to a £1 cable if you check the spec.
Personally if I'm looking for anything new I'll check deal sites like HotUKDeals.com before looking on eBay as they generally show great savings and if its possible to stack vouchers/discounts.

MattHawkinsUK

Tue Oct 02, 2012 9:14 am

ShuttleMunky, if you are just doing command line stuff and python scripts etc you can use Putty to access your Pi over the network. I do most of my tinkering with this and rarely connect the Pi to a real monitor. Mainly because I've got no spare digital inputs on my monitors.
My Raspberry Pi blog and home of the BerryClip Add-on board : http://www.raspberrypi-spy.co.uk/
Follow me on Google+, Facebook, Pinterest and Twitter (@RPiSpy)

eLJay

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:10 pm

Azuria.dk wrote:I had the same experience when i first started working with Arduino.
Fortunately for me now, i have a lot of stuff, and am just waiting for my logic level converter parts, so i can use my arduino's features via ArduinoPi, which looks very promising. :)
Then write a source article for cheap components!
It's okay for us but a kid with a pi might have to save up for parts (suggesting they might use crt tv's could be a start).

I was fine as I used things I already had and blagged other parts,
all except for having an unpowered usb hub and usb phone chargers that didn't supply enough power.
I fixed it by buying a PS3 charging only hub for £3.79 and feeding the power supply from that into my hub (though it means I have a 3 port hub).

Azuria.dk

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:37 pm

eLJay wrote:
Azuria.dk wrote:I had the same experience when i first started working with Arduino.
Then write a source article for cheap components!
It's okay for us but a kid with a pi might have to save up for parts (suggesting they might use crt tv's could be a start).
To sum it up, i use eBay.co.uk and dx.com.
eBay for smaller components like transistors, resistors, etc.
DX for complete boards, like relay boards.
I could use local shops(Denmark), but often they either don't have the components, or one piece costs the same as 20 including shipping on eBay.

BoloMKXXVIII

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:46 pm

I am a bit surprised that some people buying a Rpi don't have this stuff lying around. About the only thing I want that I don't have is a case. People who tinker with electronics tend to have loads of extra "stuff" that accumulates over the years.
It isn't yours if you can't hack it.

Azuria.dk

Wed Oct 03, 2012 5:59 pm

BoloMKXXVIII wrote:I am a bit surprised that some people buying a Rpi don't have this stuff lying around. About the only thing I want that I don't have is a case. People who tinker with electronics tend to have loads of extra "stuff" that accumulates over the years.
But, if one of those things collected over the years, is a cleaning freakish wife, those other things tend to be sorted out ;)

Lob0426

Wed Oct 03, 2012 7:22 pm

I only needed a micro B to A cable to get my first RasPi working. I had everything else lying about. I had USB HDD's I wanted to use so I had to buy a hub. Soon after that my Lapdock showed up so I could have passed on the hub. Now that hub is hardwired to a RasPi.

I bought two more of those hubs lately. One will get hardwired to an A model.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

Return to “General discussion”