sadkid

Re: Free ram

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:01 pm

rpdom wrote:It's a free forum. People can post what they like (within reason). If they feel that they have something positive to comment they will.

You can't close your post. All you can do is to edit the top post and add "[SOLVED]" to the subject line. You can't stop other people replying to it. The only people who can do that are the overworked volunteer moderators who would really rather not have to step in.

You know the mods. They have names in green. It's not a good idea to argue with them.
sadkid wrote:Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"
I am completely aware that this is a free forum..

But.. Some Mod might have done that "[Solved]" thing before me..

Thanks for the tips!

The guy i am supporting is apparently a mod "Shiftplusone"
Last edited by sadkid on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:04 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
sadkid wrote: Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"
It's not a good idea to be unfriendly to folks with high numbers of posts or James (a moderator). That kind of behaviour can result in a week in the cooler or, worst case, a permanent ban. You're also likely to trigger a move to the "blocked list" for some of the high volume posters.

Learning to formulate a coherent question is one of the skills you need to learn.
That mod's name is "jamesh" btw not "james".

I'm not worried about the ban.. not like i want to get banned..

But that blocked list sounds bad for forum.. so.. i get it :oops: :oops: :oops:

I will improve my skills to be more precise about the issue whatever it is..

I'm sorry!

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:14 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:
Heater wrote: Now, perhaps if you are writing an essay or whatever on RAM some historical context might be in order. Like, how much RAM did early home computers have? The C64, Sinclair Spectrum etc. Or what memory technology did old mainframe computers have and how much RAM did they get.
Plus...some of us have been around long enough to have worked with those system and be able to give answeres without looking anything up. (And, yes, I *did* read the whole thread before the first post I added to and i stand by my answer as it expands on what others have said, including that the early Pis--many of which are still in use--had less RAM than the models in current production and therefore supplies data towards your initial question.)
Thanks.. i misunderstood it i guess.. :oops: :oops: :oops:

EDIT : i might have gone a bit over (maybe a lot) but.. im sorry for that post.. you are referring to
Last edited by sadkid on Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sadkid

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:18 pm

PeterO wrote:
sadkid wrote:I'm sorry but if you read all other posts of mine you would find this line "If i could close this tread, I would"
I got my answer.

I am not developing or something.. I am just making a 11th grade project which is titled "RAM" and obviously is about Random-Access-Memory.

I have a PC store near by who were friendly enough to give me the info and helped me with some stuff.

But, they are not carrying any SoC (System-on-a-Chip).

That made me to come to the 'RBPi' forums. As i have a bunch of slides named "Single Chip Computer era" and "SoC".

Although, I appreciate your efforts to not read the previous posts/replies. I urge you to read from now on as it saves a lot of time for the world.

*Disclaimer : This looks this kind/good/innocent because of rules of the forum* else.. :twisted:

Edit: Did you people even read what the OP aka Original Post was? or Just answering randomly?? :? :?

Read replies.. read question.. Go get a english translator incase you dont speak english..

Know that it has been answered by user "Shiftplusone"

Edit 2: I mean you guys "W. H. Heydt" "MarkTF" "jahboater" "DougieLawson" "jamesh"
You know, if you had actually told us what you were really doing in the OP, then this thread would have been a lot shorter. YOU have wasted a lot of people's time so don't be surprised if they ignore you !

PeterO
Well.. this is my 2nd forum post like ever first one on this.. I skimmed through rules...
That idea didn't strike me.. maybe i thought that would be lot of firepower in just one post? *maybe emoji*

NEXT TIME IF I HAD ANY QUERIES YOU BET I WILL FOLLOW THIS.. that would simply save a lot of time

sadkid

Re: Free ram [solved]

Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:23 pm

I'm going to "Unwatch" this thread..
Sorry for my behaviour..
Im probably* the youngest the newer* one on this tread..
hope you understand.. sorry..

that's 2 sorries right there..

maybe this song helps.. i found this today "https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDcFryDXQ7U"
great one.. fistpumping

BYE mates! my work with the forums is done.
*atleast for* *cough* *naaaaaaaw* *sneeze*

*hoping that mod doesn't mind* :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek: :ugeek:

Heater

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:41 pm

Let's not go overboard here.

There was confusion. It's all straightened out now.

Good luck with your essay, project, whatever it is.

itimpi

Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:55 pm

What I find quite interesting in this thread is that nobody has mentioned that the amount of RAM that is allocated to the GPU (and thus not available to user programs) is variable and user configurable. Whether this is relevant to the question the OP was seeking an answer to is not at all clear.

stubright

Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:45 am

Mr ShiftPlusOne said
The GPU needs a minimum of 16M
so it has been mentioned.

W. H. Heydt

Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:45 am

itimpi wrote:What I find quite interesting in this thread is that nobody has mentioned that the amount of RAM that is allocated to the GPU (and thus not available to user programs) is variable and user configurable. Whether this is relevant to the question the OP was seeking an answer to is not at all clear.
Actually, it was mentioned. The spec for the minimum required for the GPU was given. Since the initial question was "how much RAM..." (which implies, but does not state, an interest in the *maximum* available) the minimum required for the GPU would seem to be in order.

jahboater

Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:03 am

Then there is the "total_mem=1024" fix in config.txt which seems to add about 16MB on my Pi3.

Return to “General discussion”