rpdom

Re: Raspbian Stretch Release Date?

Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:21 am

hommar wrote:
CarlRJ wrote:I have half a dozen Pi's running 24/7. For some of them, running stable is more important than having the latest versions of software, and others are more experimental and I very much would like the latest versions of at least a few things (especially useful for making scripts work cross platform).
I think good idea for make two official distro
First distro can used for long-running servers (and desktop too). It based on Debian, and work on RPI1+
Second distro can used for desktop with last soft (and more experimental servers). It based on Ubuntu, and work RPI2+ (compile for arm7 for faster)
A similar idea is used on RedHat/Fedora
Please watch your quoting!

RedHat/Fedora is a business. They have money and people to support that business model.

Raspbian was started by a couple of independent people who thought it might be a good idea. I'm not sure, but I think the Foundation may be supporting/funding them at least in part now.

If you are running a Pi 2 or Pi 3 you can use the Debian backports. Just be sure to keep the raspberrypi.org entries or you won't be getting the latest kernel and bootcode updates.

levelcrow

Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:00 am

Now that Debian Stretch is out, how long do you guys think it will be until Raspbian Stretch comes out?

That recent merge of E. Anholt's work looks really promising in terms of T-tiling and moving away from compositor use - adding that compositor totally killed the stock driver for my RPi1B. Maybe the Raspbian folks are going to try to wait for that Mesa merge and backport the changes before releasing Raspbian Stretch, maybe even making the "Legacy" driver a real legacy driver and moving to FKMS as the default.

Wouldn't that be cool?

Martin Frezman

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:16 am

levelcrow wrote:Now that Debian Stretch is out, how long do you guys think it will be until Raspbian Stretch comes out?
The one hard-and-fast rule of this forum is that any question of the form "When will <X> happen?" or "What is the ETA for <X>?" or similar, will be answered with:

When it happens.

Something about "The Osborne Effect" or something like that...
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

cjan

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:49 am

Martin Frezman wrote:The one hard-and-fast rule of this forum is that any question of the form "When will <X> happen?" or "What is the ETA for <X>?" or similar, will be answered with:

When it happens.

Something about "The Osborne Effect" or something like that...
yep, as you said "Oh, it's Linux, just ignore it" .

asandford

Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:45 pm

rpdom wrote:
DougieLawson wrote:DebIan is based on the old waterfall model which should have been left in the 20th century.
So how come so many systems use it?

Security, Stability and Reliability. Seriously important in any professional production server.
This ^^^^

People learning on the Pi now will be the sysadmins of the future and need to learn that production systems need these 3 things. Agile development is just that; development. All the companies I've worked at have dev, uat and prod environments, guess which one is at the 'trailing edge' but keeps the company afloat and paying the 'bleeding edge' crew.

My mail server Pi still runs on wheezy; it's secure, stable and reliable. I have no pressing need to upgrade it as it functions well. In my workplace I encounter systers running win2k on a daily basis (and there are very good reasons why they are still running).

rpdom

Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:37 pm

I'm currently working on upgrading our systems at work from Wheezy to Jessie. Each one will be thoroughly tested before going live.

heatfanjohn

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:22 pm

DougieLawson wrote: You can begin the migration by updating /etc/apt/sources.list. You can NOT change /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list as that's the missing piece.

Code: Select all

Err:5 http://archive.raspberrypi.org/debian stretch/ui armhf Packages
  404  Not Found [IP: 2a00:1098:0:82:1000:13:0:9 80]
I see that a stretch directory is listed in the archive.raspberrypi.org/debian/dists directory, does this mean that we can update /etc/apt/sources.list.d/raspi.list ?

Sorry for the newbie question, but how does the kernel get updated?

DougieLawson

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:36 pm

You can do that, but you must understand what's happening, you must be able to recover your system and you must be aware that you're running an unsupported configuration until Stretch is released to the general population.

If it makes your RPi unbootable don't blame me.

I nearly achieved that with a RPi 1B that I upgraded on Sunday. I runs with a very small 7.2GB Raspbian SDCard (no NOOBS) that had nearly 1900 packages to upgrade (including too many that were old experimental things that haven't been used in yonks). I ended up mounting a 32GB USB stick over /var/cache/apt to get enough free space to run the dist-upgrade. Lots of things got purged after that was done.

I have seven systems out of fourteen that are already running Stretch. It's going to stay that way until the end of August.

My final plan when Raspbian Stretch turns up on https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ is to save config files on every system and build a unified SDCard which will get 14 clones. I'll then trash things on my four RPis with hard drives and get a clean install done on everyone. So they're all back to running from a standard software base.
Note: Having anything humorous in your signature is completely banned on this forum. Wear a tin-foil hat and you'll get a ban.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.

This is a doctor free zone.

runboy93

Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:50 pm

Better wait official release + bug fixes after that.

Return to “General discussion”