B.Goode

Re: Unpleasant new board smell ?

Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm

jamesh wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:59 pm
We've still not encountered a board that smells as much as some people are claiming, so its difficult to know what the problem is, if there is one.

Not doubting the veracity of any of these claims - and we individually respond differently to varying stimuli - it seems odd that no-one has yet returned a sample to the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

I can understand that the shipping cost from outside the UK might be a disincentive, but don't these 'problem' boards ever get distributed in the UK?

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:13 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 1:40 pm
jamesh wrote:
Fri Apr 13, 2018 12:59 pm
We've still not encountered a board that smells as much as some people are claiming, so its difficult to know what the problem is, if there is one.

Not doubting the veracity of any of these claims - and we individually respond differently to varying stimuli - it seems odd that no-one has yet returned a sample to the Raspberry Pi Foundation.

I can understand that the shipping cost from outside the UK might be a disincentive, but don't these 'problem' boards ever get distributed in the UK?
Not that I am aware off. Of course, we do keep all the fragrant ones for UK use, sprayed with Channel #5 during test. Because we like nice smells.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

jbudd

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:07 pm

English Channel #5?

'cause there's perfumes, and then there's smells...

Burngate

Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:17 pm

Probably of no interest to anyone, but ...
We took my daughter's VW for its full service, MOT, &c. to the local VW dealer.
As usual, the last thing they did was give it a spring clean, just to Keep the Customer Satisfied (S & G 1970)

It smelt godorfal.
Their other customers may think it smells nice; we don't!
We've had to leave all the windows down, even in the rain!

Paul Hutch

Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm

I recently opened a spare Pi3B I bought from Arrow Electronics in the USA last year when they had them discounted with free next day shipping. The G10/FR4 fiberglass PCB used on it is the variety that has a much more powerful fiberglass PCB smell than most G10/FR4 PCB's including the other Pi's I've bought. However its smell is not any stronger than some other G10/FR4 proto-boards I've bought and only slightly more obnoxious to me than FR2 Phenolic PCB's.

SafferPi

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm

jamesh wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:41 am
Heater wrote:
Wed Nov 15, 2017 10:15 am
Would somebody with a smelly Pi please send it to the Raspberry Pi foundation for evaluation and tracing.

Then we can get to the bottom of this story. Which quite frankly I find hard to believe.

Or, any one with a smelly Pi that is making their head explode is welcome to send them to me. For ...err.. "evaluation".

The practice of USB port sniffing is not to be encouraged :)
We can trace from the information above. If necessary we will ask anyone with a smelly Pi to send it in, but we need to do some assessment of the issue first, since we've never encountered it.

Jamesh,
You specifically replied to a previous post stating that we did not need to send a board in, as Heater suggested, and that you could easily trace the problem from the information I gave. You said: “ We can trace from the information above. If necessary we will ask anyone with a smelly Pi to send it in, but we need to do some assessment of the issue first, since we've never encountered it.”

Did you do any investigation into the origin of my board and the USB ports marked EDAC? If so I have not received feedback from you. Please put me in touch with RMA department and I will speak to them about returning my Noxious RPi.

SafferPi

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 pm

Paul Hutch wrote:
Thu Apr 19, 2018 8:26 pm
I recently opened a spare Pi3B I bought from Arrow Electronics in the USA last year when they had them discounted with free next day shipping. The G10/FR4 fiberglass PCB used on it is the variety that has a much more powerful fiberglass PCB smell than most G10/FR4 PCB's including the other Pi's I've bought. However its smell is not any stronger than some other G10/FR4 proto-boards I've bought and only slightly more obnoxious to me than FR2 Phenolic PCB's.

Paul, Have you been able to isolate the source of the smell. My board has noxious USB ports. Perhaps on yours it is elsewhere on the board. The USB smell is so strong that it reminds me of opening a pool tablets chlorine container.

SafferPi

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:44 pm

B.Goode wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 8:50 pm
I have just bought a new Raspberry Pi 3B and it also smells

There is an invitation here from a Moderator acting as a representative of the Raspberry Pi Foundation to submit details that would allow the issue to be investigated - viewtopic.php?f=63&t=184527&p=1270409#p1185200

That invitation does not seem to have been accepted, certainly not publically via these forums.

Maybe pursuing the matter calmly with the RPF is less satisfying than throwing out unsubstantiated allegations of toxicity?
I did provide all the details of my board in a previous post Nov 14 2017.

SafferPi

Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:48 pm

Dmitry0xFF wrote:
Wed Feb 07, 2018 2:59 pm
jamesh wrote:
Heater wrote:
Would somebody with a smelly Pi please send it to the Raspberry Pi foundation for evaluation and tracing.

Then we can get to the bottom of this story. Which quite frankly I find hard to believe.

Or, any one with a smelly Pi that is making their head explode is welcome to send them to me. For ...err.. "evaluation".

We can trace from the information above. If necessary we will ask anyone with a smelly Pi to send it in, but we need to do some assessment of the issue first, since we've never encountered it.
Are there any news about it?
I have just bought a new Raspberry Pi 3B and it also smells extremely toxic. Even after a week online. I feel light toxic smell when I am entering the room (20 square meters) with this RPi, so you can imagine the strength of the smell.
I also have RPi B+ and it doesn't smell at all.
Thanks for coming here to tell your story. Can you provide the numbers from your board.
Serial :
Manufacture Data:
Where purchased:
So Jamesh can trace the batch.

jamesh

Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:13 pm

SafferPi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:35 pm
jamesh wrote:
Heater wrote:

Jamesh,
You specifically replied to a previous post stating that we did not need to send a board in, as Heater suggested, and that you could easily trace the problem from the information I gave. You said: “ We can trace from the information above. If necessary we will ask anyone with a smelly Pi to send it in, but we need to do some assessment of the issue first, since we've never encountered it.”

Did you do any investigation into the origin of my board and the USB ports marked EDAC? If so I have not received feedback from you. Please put me in touch with RMA department and I will speak to them about returning my Noxious RPi.
We don't have an RMA department as we do not sell individual devices direct to the public, if you wish to return a Pi you should return it to where you purchased it from.

As for the problem itself, there have been very very very few reports (compared with numbers sold), so I suspect any that do happen are very isolated incidents.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I think it’s wrong that only one company makes the game Monopoly.” – Steven Wright

PeterO

Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:37 am

Jamesh,
Have you asked "The PiHut" (who are quite local) if they have had any smelly boards returned ?
PeterO
Discoverer of the PI2 XENON DEATH FLASH!
Interests: C,Python,PIC,Electronics,Ham Radio (G0DZB),1960s British Computers.
"The primary requirement (as we've always seen in your examples) is that the code is readable. " Dougie Lawson

jamesh

Thu Aug 02, 2018 7:14 am

PeterO wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:37 am
Jamesh,
Have you asked "The PiHut" (who are quite local) if they have had any smelly boards returned ?
PeterO
I passed the information on to the production guy, not heard any specifics back.

Heater

Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 am

Owners of smelly Pi should send them to the one guy in the world that we know likes to sniff electronic gadgets. The famous Dave Jones of the EEVBlog:

https://www.eevblog.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2DjFE ... ZqWBigcVOQ

He would open it in one of his mailbag videos, give it a good sniff, as he often does mailbag items, tell us what the smell is, probably tell us when and where it was made !

He is one independent third party that most in the electronics world would trust to evaluate this supposed issue. And do it very publically.

Until then I don't want to hear about anymore smelly Pi claims.
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

ShiftPlusOne
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 am

Heater wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:47 am
Owners of smelly Pi should send them to the one guy in the world that we know likes to sniff electronic gadgets. The famous Dave Jones of the EEVBlog:

https://www.eevblog.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2DjFE ... ZqWBigcVOQ

He would open it in one of his mailbag videos, give it a good sniff, as he often does mailbag items, tell us what the smell is, probably tell us when and where it was made !

He is one independent third party that most in the electronics world would trust to evaluate this supposed issue. And do it very publically.

Until then I don't want to hear about anymore smelly Pi claims.
I like your thinking. Sounds like a whole new segment.

davidcoton

Thu Aug 02, 2018 5:35 pm

ShiftPlusOne wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:02 am
Sounds like a whole new segment.
[pedant]
  1. You can hear the smell?
  2. A segment of Pi is known as a slice.
[/pedant] :lol:
Signature retired

Heater

Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:41 pm

davidcoton,
[pedant]
1. You can hear the smell?
2. A segment of Pi is known as a slice.
[/pedant]
[pedant]
Your pedantry is misplaced. Taking your points in turn:

1. Only when under the influence of certain hallucinogenic substances, so far.

Do read what I wrote:

"He is one independent third party that most in the electronics world would trust to evaluate this supposed issue."

That is to say that if Dave says there is a weird smell, or not, we trust his verdict.

2. Yes. But we were talking about a "segment" of the Dave Jones EEVBlog series. Not any kind of Pi.
[/pedant]
Memory in C++ is a leaky abstraction .

Paul Hutch

Fri Aug 03, 2018 11:58 pm

SafferPi wrote:
Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:41 pm
Paul, Have you been able to isolate the source of the smell. My board has noxious USB ports. Perhaps on yours it is elsewhere on the board. The USB smell is so strong that it reminds me of opening a pool tablets chlorine container.
Mines the entire board, quite possibly it is very different to the smell your have on your USB ports. I've hit extra smelly FR4 PCBs hundreds of times in the past 45 years, and a few times new to the field assembly staff will mention it

LTolledo

Sat Aug 04, 2018 1:51 pm

Can somebody please numerically correlate the "smell" to the performance of the RPi?
If its smelly, will the performance of the RPi diminish?
If it is fragrant, will the performance of the RPi increase?

Smell is subjective (depending on a person), numbers are not.
"Don't come to me with 'issues' for I don't know how to deal with those
Come to me with 'problems' and I'll help you find solutions"

Some people be like:
"Help me! Am drowning! But dont you dare touch me nor come near me!"

frankdux

Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:59 pm

I forget to follow up my heating technique, I bought a Pi to learn programming and let down this till now.

It didn't work. Only the board is bad smell free after heating up. The 4 USB still smell. I confirm what other said before.

This week I gather info about swapping the 4 USB. There is a post strike in Belgium right now but the idea is to send the USB port to whoever you want. Eevv vlog is UK based ?

Return to “General discussion”