Vayle

Wifi still won't work on Raspberry Pi 3

Fri May 19, 2017 10:08 pm

Hi, I have tried to get wifi on my raspberry pi 3 without a usb wifi adapter. I am using raspbian and I have tried updating it to the latest software and reformatting it and then updating it and also changing configuration page for the wireless and nothing has worked so far. I know that the bluetooth works but I can't figure out how to work the wifi on raspberry pi 3. I would really love to not have to buy an adapter for it.

Strider64

Re: Wifi still won't work on Raspberry Pi 3

Sat May 20, 2017 5:50 am

I know this might be a stupid question but did you try to updating your Raspberry Pi 3 using a ethernet cable?

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
"Insanity Is Doing the Same Thing Over and Over Again and Expecting Different Results" ~ Albert Einstein

klricks

Sat May 20, 2017 12:27 pm

Vayle wrote:Hi, I have tried to get wifi on my raspberry pi 3 without a usb wifi adapter. I am using raspbian and I have tried updating it to the latest software and reformatting it and then updating it and also changing configuration page for the wireless and nothing has worked so far. I know that the bluetooth works but I can't figure out how to work the wifi on raspberry pi 3. I would really love to not have to buy an adapter for it.
LEFT click on the ↑↓ arrow icon in taskbar.
Find your SSID and click on it.
Enter your PSK.

The ↑↓ arrow icon will then change to a WIFI wave icon.
Note that the GUI tool requires that the SSID is NOT hidden and the encryption setting in your router is WPA or WPA2 and NOT WEP.
Unless specified otherwise my response is based on the latest and fully updated RPiOS Buster w/ Desktop OS.

Vayle

Sat May 20, 2017 1:28 pm

Yes I have tried the command line and updating everything. When I go to the two arrows and click on it. It says that there are no wireless interface devices found. my WiFi is not hidden and publicly broadcast with it's encryption.

rudy0912

Sat May 20, 2017 2:35 pm

Vayle wrote:Yes I have tried the command line and updating everything. When I go to the two arrows and click on it. It says that there are no wireless interface devices found. my WiFi is not hidden and publicly broadcast with it's encryption.
I have this same problem on the raspberry pi 2. It's been like this ever since i upgraded to jessie a long time ago. I've gotten the internet to work by manually editing the wpa-supplicant file following the directions here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ess-cli.md

But i would still like it if the wireless icon on the panel worked correctly. I reinstalled with the latest image of jessie today morning and the wireless icon still says "No wireless interfaces found" when i left click it.

DougieLawson

Sat May 20, 2017 4:53 pm

Have you checked that your network is using WPA or WPA2. The GUI will NOT work with WEP.
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Vayle

Sat May 20, 2017 5:55 pm

It is WPA.

DougieLawson

Tue May 23, 2017 2:35 am

Can you see your network with iwlist wlan0 scan?
Have you checked your credentials and country code in /etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf?
Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

DavidS

Tue May 23, 2017 3:42 am

The GUI tool does work with WEP (I was using WEP for a while, and still have a WEP router on one of my local only networks).

As for the rest, is WiFi enabled? Did you strip any kernel modules from startup?
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

DavidS

Tue May 23, 2017 3:45 am

Also have you tried with a different RPi 3B? It may be a cold solder joint on the RPI 3B you are using (as it is telling you no interface is available, it must not be seeing the adapter for some reason).

If it works with a different RPi 3B and you have the skills to safely do so, and you do not mind risking losing the messed up RPi 3B to a mistake, you may want to think about reflowing the connections.
RPi = The best ARM based RISC OS computer around
More than 95% of posts made from RISC OS on RPi 1B/1B+ computers. Most of the rest from RISC OS on RPi 2B/3B/3B+ computers

Vayle

Tue May 23, 2017 5:19 am

No I have not tried another raspberry pi 3 because I do not have one yet. I am running wpa2 and also I did not strip any kernel modules when I was updating it also said it was setting it up the driver via command line.

Return to “General discussion”