beddu
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support [old]

Thu May 18, 2017 8:46 am

Hello everybody!

I am thinking to buy a Rapberry PI Zero W to build a 7" wireless LCD.
The software connects through a wireless network to a remote server, receives some data, and shows it up as a nice OpenGL rendered screen with several very simple animations.
I did not find (until now) any explicit information about OpenGL support on Raspberry PI Zero (W). That means "of course it is supported" or "of course it is NOT supported"? Can anybody share a link with some infos?

Thank you all for your time!!

ait
Posts: 127
Joined: Sun Oct 30, 2011 6:51 pm

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Thu May 18, 2017 9:23 am

in this release we are shipping an experimental OpenGL driver for the desktop which uses the GPU to provide hardware acceleration. This is turned off by default – if you want to enable it, you can find it in the command-line version of raspi-config, under Advanced Options->GL Driver. Due to memory requirements, this will not work on Pi 1 or Pi Zero boards – it is solely for Pi 2. (raspi-config will only allow it to be enabled on a Pi 2; be warned that if you enable it on a Pi 2 and then move that SD card into a Pi 1 or Pi Zero, the Pi will not boot.)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/

6by9
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 7508
Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:27 am
Location: ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha, aka just outside Cambridge.

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Thu May 18, 2017 9:38 am

Pi0 and Pi1 have OpenGLES support through the firmware. They don't have full OpenGL support.
Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi Trading. Views expressed are still personal views.
I'm not interested in doing contracts for bespoke functionality - please don't ask.

User avatar
hansotten
Posts: 324
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 6:01 am
Contact: Website

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Thu May 18, 2017 10:06 am

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenGL_ES

Raspberry Pi seems to support OpenGL ES 2.0
http://duinorasp.hansotten.com for Raspberry Pi and Arduino and ESP8266
http://retro.hansotten.nl for retrocomputing with the 6502 cpu

beddu
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Thu May 18, 2017 10:09 pm

ait wrote:
in this release we are shipping an experimental OpenGL driver for the desktop which uses the GPU to provide hardware acceleration. This is turned off by default – if you want to enable it, you can find it in the command-line version of raspi-config, under Advanced Options->GL Driver. Due to memory requirements, this will not work on Pi 1 or Pi Zero boards – it is solely for Pi 2. (raspi-config will only allow it to be enabled on a Pi 2; be warned that if you enable it on a Pi 2 and then move that SD card into a Pi 1 or Pi Zero, the Pi will not boot.)
https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/anothe ... n-release/
This talks about the desktop, I do not need it because it will be a screen without user interaction.

beddu
Posts: 21
Joined: Thu May 18, 2017 8:29 am

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Thu May 18, 2017 10:10 pm

6by9 wrote:Pi0 and Pi1 have OpenGLES support through the firmware. They don't have full OpenGL support.
That's perfect!! Thank you!

jdonald
Posts: 417
Joined: Fri Nov 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:23 am

Googling for what it takes to get OpenGL to run on the Pi Zero tends to take me to this topic. For others who land here, see the actual workarond detailed in another thread: https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=166495

Not officially supported, but I've confirmed it works on Buster. With cma-128 and gpu_mem=16 I'm able to boot fkms and it leaves about 180 MB of remaining system memory to work with.

User avatar
Gavinmc42
Posts: 4016
Joined: Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:31 am

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 am

OpenGL has been running on Pi3's in Gentoo64 for 2 years?
That's a 64bit OS but the same VC4.

Buster will have newer Mesa drivers and be compiled for 32bit.
So a lighter OS like PiCore with the newer Mesa drivers would be fastest VC4 OpenGL solution?
How much performance difference is there between OpenGL and OpenGLES on VC4 Pi's?

Are there any light weight OS's apart from Raspbian using Mesa 19.+?
Do they all need x11?
I don't know those answers, so I use use Ultibo and do it baremetal
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

User avatar
mahjongg
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Posts: 12397
Joined: Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:19 am
Location: South Holland, The Netherlands

Re: Raspberry PI Zero W OpenGL support

Sun Sep 22, 2019 1:11 pm

Gavinmc42 wrote:
Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:48 am
OpenGL has been running on Pi3's in Gentoo64 for 2 years?
Gentoo won't work on the RPI Zero, so your reply is off topic.

Also this thread is from 2017, so it describes a situation that is now obsolete.

Return to “General discussion”