mrblue1234

SD Cards Images for Pi 3 and Pi Zero

Wed May 17, 2017 11:27 pm

I have my raspbian linux software image on an SD card and running on a Raspberry Pi 3.

I wanted to understand the options for getting this exact same card / image to run on a Raspberry Pi Zero / W. Will this work?

Thanks.

-Mike

peterlite

Re: SD Cards Images for Pi 3 and Pi Zero

Wed May 17, 2017 11:32 pm

There are several posts on this. Google search will do a better job of finding them compared to the forum search.

The main problem are installation of software outside of Raspbian. Raspbian software is compiled to be backwards compatible with all models of Pi. Compiling your own software, or installing software outside of the Raspbian repositories can produce programs that work on the Pi 3 processor but not the simpler Zero processor.

mrblue1234

Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 pm

What would be some good search terms to use on Google. I don't seem to be pulling up any hits that are explaining this in more detail.

Thanks.

-Mike

davidcoton

Thu May 18, 2017 12:14 am

If there is no extra non-Raspbian software, then update and dist-upgrade on the working system, and it should be good to go on the Zero.
This will avoid any issues with images that predate the release of the target software.
Signature retired

peterlite

Thu May 18, 2017 1:09 am

The Zero is an ARMv6 32 bit processor. The 3B is an ARMv8 with extra instructions and 32/64 bit compatibility. Anything compiled for the Zero will work in the 3B but stuff compiled on the 3B has to have the right compiler settings to work on the Zero.

The Zero requires the latest Raspbian version to run as a USB slave. The 3B cannot act as a slave.

The 3B requires the latest Raspbian version to boot from USB. USB boot is not available on other models.

Everything else appears to be identical when you use the current version of Raspbian. The Wifi range appears to be the same despite different antenna hardware.

I googled raspberry pi zero 3b using same microsd card and found viewtopic.php?t=171993&p=1100870. There are others. Note that the B becomes important when you talk about 3B, 2B, etc. The B series have different chips.

davidcoton

Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 am

peterlite wrote:The Zero is an ARMv6 32 bit processor. The 3B is an ARMv8 with extra instructions and 32/64 bit compatibility. Anything compiled for the Zero will work in the 3B but stuff compiled on the 3B has to have the right compiler settings to work on the Zero.
Note that the B becomes important when you talk about 3B, 2B, etc. The B series have different chips.
The Zero, and 1 (A, B, A+, B+) models use one chip. The original 2B (there is no 2A) uses a different chip. The newer 2B and the 3B (and 3A when it arrives) uses a third. There are 1 and 3 versions of the CM, too. This (and all other hardware differences) are handled seamlessly by any Raspbian that is newer than the hardware. It is only additional programs (including stuff you may have compiled) that could have problems.

Clearly you can't transfer a program that requires four USB ports to a Zero without extra hardware, but that is not an OS issue.
Signature retired

Return to “General discussion”