newjack2017

Advise for this beginner

Wed May 17, 2017 8:15 pm

Hello all, I'm a new user of the Raspberry Pi. I am working on the Robot Butler https://github.com/raspberrypilearning/ ... rksheet.md project. I picked this project as it seems like fun. I would like to add features to it also and learn electronics along the way. I want my learning to be a fun hobby, without any unnecessary frustrations :) . With that, I was hoping that some of you can answer a couple of questions. Any additional advise would be appreciated.
  1. 1. I am limited in how often I can use my Raspberry Pi, but I do have daily access to a Windows 10 laptop. I want to mirror my learning of Python and maybe Raspian on this laptop so as to become competent with the Raspberry Pi. What is the easiest and best way to do that? Would installing Linux and Python on my laptop best mirror the Raspberry Pi programming experience/style? Can I run Raspbian on a laptop, or do I have to get a different Linux distribution.
  • 2. What resources can you recommend when buying additional electronics such as sensors and servos for working with robots that would fit well with Raspberry Pi.
  • 3. When I am confused with Raspian or Python commands, where is the best place to search out and post my questions?
  • 4. Are there any books or websites that you can recommend for both learning code and seeing hands on examples of different projects?

peterlite

Re: Advise for this beginner

Thu May 18, 2017 1:42 am

There is a Raspbian 64 bit version in development for you other PC. I do not think it is ready for a beginner. Linux Mint, Ubuntu, and Debian all share the same packages from Debian. You can install one of them now and Raspbian Pixel 64 later when that distribution is stable.

mfa298

Thu May 18, 2017 1:50 am

newjack2017 wrote:
  1. 1. I am limited in how often I can use my Raspberry Pi, but I do have daily access to a Windows 10 laptop. I want to mirror my learning of Python and maybe Raspian on this laptop so as to become competent with the Raspberry Pi. What is the easiest and best way to do that? Would installing Linux and Python on my laptop best mirror the Raspberry Pi programming experience/style? Can I run Raspbian on a laptop, or do I have to get a different Linux distribution.
You may be able to install python directly onto windows, or you could look at running a Linux Distro inside a virtual machine. Otherwise you could boot a Linux Live CD (although storing files might require more effort). Apart from running Linux inside a VM your laptop would be running Windows or Linux not both at the same time (you'd have to reboot into a live CD). It is also possible to setup dual boot linux & window on the laptop but that might require shrinking the windows partition and/or re-installing windows as well.

There are lots of Linux Distros that you could run, Raspbian is based on Debian, Ubuntu which is also popular is also based off of Debian and is aimed more at deskops/laptops (as opposed to servers) so might be a good choice.

Other popular options include Fedora and Arch (and various other variations on those)

What's limiting how much you can use your raspberry pi ? If it's just access to screen/keyboard you can use ssh/vnc to access the pi remotely over the network.
newjack2017 wrote:
  • 3. When I am confused with Raspian or Python commands, where is the best place to search out and post my questions?
Python has lots of good online documentation. Most Linux commands have man pages e.g.

Code: Select all

man ls
. Failing that ask on a suitable forum or use google.

newjack2017

Sat May 20, 2017 12:38 am

Thank you both for your advise. I will use the raspberry pi directly until a stable version exists for my laptop.

Return to “General discussion”