solar3000

Rotate background

Fri May 12, 2017 10:25 am

raspbian boots up with a picture of a road as background.
You can manually change that.
Is there a way to automatically change that?
What file is updated when that picture is changed?

I guess if anyone knows of an app or if you can just write a script.
Antikythera

Paeryn

Re: Rotate background

Fri May 12, 2017 10:45 am

solar3000 wrote:raspbian boots up with a picture of a road as background.
You can manually change that.
Is there a way to automatically change that?
What file is updated when that picture is changed?

I guess if anyone knows of an app or if you can just write a script.
It's set in ~/.config/pcmanfm/LXDE-pi/desktop-items-0.conf

Code: Select all

wallpaper=/usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background
But that is a symlink (to another symlink) before you get to the real file

Code: Select all

[email protected]:~ $ ll /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 36 Nov 21  2015 /usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background -> /etc/alternatives/desktop-background
[email protected]:~ $ ll /etc/alternatives/desktop-background
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 52 Nov 21  2015 /etc/alternatives/desktop-background -> /usr/share/raspberrypi-artwork/raspberry-pi-logo.png
So I'd say the easiest way to change it on rotation is to keep changing the symlink /etc/alternatives/desktop-background to point whatever you want next time.
She who travels light — forgot something.

solar3000

Fri May 12, 2017 3:18 pm

cool that will work. right in my face and I didnt see it.

mine says
wallpaper=.... points to a photo I placed.

so I guess I can either write a script to update that file or like you said, just symlink it.
Antikythera

W. H. Heydt

Fri May 12, 2017 3:45 pm

Since--obviously--you have to be running the GUI to see the image...right click on an otherwise empty part of the screen, select "Desktop Preferences", on the window that comes up, the "Picture" entry is where the selected image is specified. If you click on the "folder" icon, a window will come up where you can change the wallpaper image. The path to the current one is at the top.

solar3000

Fri May 12, 2017 7:06 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:Since--obviously--you have to be running the GUI to see the image...right click on an otherwise empty part of the screen, select "Desktop Preferences", on the window that comes up, the "Picture" entry is where the selected image is specified. If you click on the "folder" icon, a window will come up where you can change the wallpaper image. The path to the current one is at the top.

Right sir. But that won't rotate between different images.
On a PC running Linux and perhaps KDE, you can select a folder with a thousand pictures and every ten minutes you get a different desktop background.
Antikythera

W. H. Heydt

Fri May 12, 2017 8:15 pm

solar3000 wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:Since--obviously--you have to be running the GUI to see the image...right click on an otherwise empty part of the screen, select "Desktop Preferences", on the window that comes up, the "Picture" entry is where the selected image is specified. If you click on the "folder" icon, a window will come up where you can change the wallpaper image. The path to the current one is at the top.

Right sir. But that won't rotate between different images.
On a PC running Linux and perhaps KDE, you can select a folder with a thousand pictures and every ten minutes you get a different desktop background.
Sounds awful, but tastes differ. It could be done with "fbi" rather easily though (I think). The image could certainly be changed using fib, but I don't--off hand--know if it would act like wallpaper as I don't use it that way.

Return to “General discussion”