Martin Frezman

Re: Why no Pi Zero with full sized connections?

Wed May 10, 2017 2:27 pm

You appear to be making stuff up now.....can I suggest you don't do that?
I'm not making anything up. I prefaced what I wrote with "I've always thought". It is what I've always thought - and I still do. You can tell me I'm wrong, but it doesn't change what I think.
If this post appears in the wrong forums category, my apologies.

gtechn

Wed May 10, 2017 2:34 pm

A Raspberry Pi 3, Model A+ is coming, as confirmed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. In my personal dream, it will be in the form of a Pi Zero W, with full size connectors, and slightly larger and with some other add-ons.

It will sell for around $25, in all likelihood. After the Zero W though, maybe $20. It will do what you wish, you just have to wait for it to be released.

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 10, 2017 2:39 pm

gtechn wrote:A Raspberry Pi 3, Model A+ is coming, as confirmed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. In my personal dream, it will be in the form of a Pi Zero W, with full size connectors, and slightly larger and with some other add-ons.

It will sell for around $25, in all likelihood. After the Zero W though, maybe $20. It will do what you wish, you just have to wait for it to be released.
The 3A will be the same size as a 1A+, it will be a drop in replacement, just like the 2B was a drop in replacent for the 1B+

Stop dream and undertake research.....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 10, 2017 3:01 pm

gtechn wrote:A Raspberry Pi 3, Model A+ is coming, as confirmed by the Raspberry Pi Foundation. In my personal dream, it will be in the form of a Pi Zero W, with full size connectors, and slightly larger and with some other add-ons.

In addition to what fruitoftheloom correctly pointed out...since the A+ is $20, the Pi3A is very, very likely to be $20. And, just to add to the data that has been mentioned officially...it will have WiFi/BT on it. My only questions are: Will it have a chip antenna (like the Pi3B) or a cavity antenna (like the Pi0W)? (I suspect the former is much more likely.) And of course...When? So far as I can tell, the runaway success of the Pi3B (who would ever have anticipated *that* happening?) is probably eating up the planned supplies of BCM2837 SoCs and the launch is waiting on having enough SoCs to start Pi3A manufacturing.

fruitoftheloom

Wed May 10, 2017 3:17 pm

W. H. Heydt wrote:

In addition to what fruitoftheloom correctly pointed out...since the A+ is $20, the Pi3A is very, very likely to be $20. And, just to add to the data that has been mentioned officially...it will have WiFi/BT on it. My only questions are: Will it have a chip antenna (like the Pi3B) or a cavity antenna (like the Pi0W)? (I suspect the former is much more likely.) And of course...When? So far as I can tell, the runaway success of the Pi3B (who would ever have anticipated *that* happening?) is probably eating up the planned supplies of BCM2837 SoCs and the launch is waiting on having enough SoCs to start Pi3A manufacturing.
Actually I should of stated a 2A was planned as a drop in replacement for a 1A+, but was never released, the RPT was planning the 2B moving to a newer SoC, so it made no sense.

Though whether or not we will be surprised with both a 2A & 3 A, I will leave others to speculate.

Back to Original Question of this Thread, the reason the Zero's are how they arre.

RPT already buy various components so the only way to reduce cost is PCB & Majufacturing Process....
adieu

Asus CS10 Chromebit / HP Envy 4500 Wireless Printer / Raspberry Pi Model 2B v1.1 / RealVNC Software...

W. H. Heydt

Wed May 10, 2017 3:50 pm

fruitoftheloom wrote:
W. H. Heydt wrote:

Actually I should of stated a 2A was planned as a drop in replacement for a 1A+, but was never released, the RPT was planning the 2B moving to a newer SoC, so it made no sense.

Though whether or not we will be surprised with both a 2A & 3 A, I will leave others to speculate.
I can't think of any reason why the RPT would release a Pi2A. If it came with the '2837 SoC (like the current Pi2B2) it would be redundant. If it used the '2836 SoC, which was dropped due to low volume in favor of the '2837, shifting the Pi2B to the Pi2B2, what would be the point?
Back to Original Question of this Thread, the reason the Zero's are how they arre.

RPT already buy various components so the only way to reduce cost is PCB & Majufacturing Process....
Not entirely...the Pi0/Pi0W are the only Pis using the miniHDMI connector. All other connectors are shared with other Pis (sort of). The odd case out is the miniCSI connector that is only used on the CMIO and CMIO3 development carrier boards (which use each use 4 of them). Those are probably some of the lowest volume boards there are from the RPT. Also...the simple friction hold microSD holder is only shared with the Pi3B, which has got to be the highest volume production board in the line-up, though it should be noted that the Pi0 used it before the production ramp-up to launch the Pi3B.

davidcoton

Wed May 10, 2017 7:03 pm

Martin Frezman wrote:
You appear to be making stuff up now.....can I suggest you don't do that?
I'm not making anything up. I prefaced what I wrote with "I've always thought". It is what I've always thought - and I still do. You can tell me I'm wrong, but it doesn't change what I think.
Most of us think very strange things at times. Just because we always thought so doesn't mean it's not made up.
The wise amongst us change their minds when facts (or even authoritative opinions) show those strange things to be erroneous.
Signature retired

mattmiller

Thu May 11, 2017 5:59 am

The wise amongst us change their minds when facts (or even authoritative opinions) show those strange things to be erroneous.
No-one with authority has ever come out with the facts about the PiZero - its all soundbites and speculation or denials (inc this post) :)

skspurling

Sat May 13, 2017 1:36 am

mattmiller wrote:
No-one with authority has ever come out with the facts about the PiZero - its all soundbites and speculation or denials (inc this post) :)
While it may not be on a datasheet, I thought it was fairly straight forward that they gave specific reasons for the small connectors and lack of the soldered in GPIO header. It was not because they had them on hand. The 3B is made by manufacturing partners, as was every other model. RS and Allied, right? One is using the Sony plant in Wales. Now, the RPi foundation "make" the zero lines in Wales on another line in that same plant on contract. It's made in a simpler process that means it's just a single side board done in a single process line, so they use single process connectors and components. They make and ship these to the official vendors them selves under contract with that plant, so it's like all RPi. What profit they make goes to the RPi foundation. It's all charitable, so the profit margin can be smaller But I am sure it is decent.
This is everything on this cool little board I can remember from the various official releases summarized, possibly incorrectly, but as well as I can do off the top of my head. The above information was in the original release, and were also answers to questions on the forum from actual RPi people, like Liz Upton and others. Any miss-remember-ances are my own and I apologize for them, but it's not just some random speculation thrown up on this thread. You can go back to official releases and confirm most of it. In fact, if you are questioning motivation, they were pretty clear on that too. Dr. Upton tells the backstory, and why in the interview he gave when it was released.

As far as where the zero sits? I've been thinking lately about what a cool classroom board it could be. $35 put's it outside the realm of something for a week long camp or seminar, without bumping the cost up. $10 a piece is almost disposable or swag cost. I was at a conference last year where zero's were being given out as attendance giveaways. You go to a Pi class, here's your Pi to take home with you. There's no reason those adapter cables have to be rare or expensive. Order a box of them off ebay for a little over a dollar a piece.

mattmiller

Sat May 13, 2017 8:53 am

And now we can buy Zero's with full-sized connectors :)

Albeit at a sizeable premium :(

https://www.pi-supply.com/product/raspb ... ed-header/

and

https://www.pi-supply.com/product/raspb ... ed-header/
[edit] Sorry - mistook - was getting my subject headers mixed up - I'll leave post alone so as not to make other posts make no sense [/edit]
As far as where the zero sits? I've been thinking lately about what a cool classroom board it could be
We all think that but RPi won't let us buy them for schools - they say they will one day but give no indication of even which year that will happen
Last edited by mattmiller on Sat May 13, 2017 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

davidcoton

Sat May 13, 2017 9:05 am

mattmiller wrote:And now we can buy Zero's with full-sized connectors :)
No, they still have the normal Zero microUSB and microHDMI (hope I got the designations right).
All that is different is that the GPIO header has been soldered on for you.
Signature retired

fruitoftheloom

Sat May 13, 2017 9:17 am

davidcoton wrote:
mattmiller wrote:And now we can buy Zero's with full-sized connectors :)
No, they still have the normal Zero microUSB and microHDMI (hope I got the designations right).
All that is different is that the GPIO header has been soldered on for you.
It is miniHDMi and microUSB ;)

Yes this thread is going around in circles as per usual :shock:
adieu

Return to “General discussion”