crashboogie

Pi Zerow, no WIFI

Sun Apr 30, 2017 4:07 am

PiZeroW says no interfaces, WIFI not turning on, read that it may need an update. Any way to get Wifi without Net connection? Noobs 2.4, tried messing with etc/network/interfaces and no luck, not going to buy the Ethernet adapter (defeats the purpose of having wifi, that and I'd only use it once to update). Is there any way to update this ridiculous thing without net connection? Or some command I'm missing to enable the wifi? Something like "sudo /etc/init.d/turn thef*$&ingwifionbeforeIOfficeSpaceyou"

Gavinmc42

Re: Pi Zerow, no WIFI

Sun Apr 30, 2017 6:13 am

Probably will need an update.
I'm dancing on Rainbows.
Raspberries are not Apples or Oranges

pi_everalm

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:23 am

Try setting the Pi up as an Ethernet 'gadget', may get you past the network connection issue to allow an update

https://learn.adafruit.com/turning-your ... net-gadget

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 am

Gavinmc42 wrote:Probably will need an update.
More likely needs an SDCard with Raspbian 2017-04-10 or NOOBS 2.4 with the right fimware/bootcode to drive the PiZW hardware.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

W. H. Heydt

Sun Apr 30, 2017 3:50 pm

DougieLawson wrote:
Gavinmc42 wrote:Probably will need an update.
More likely needs an SDCard with Raspbian 2017-04-10 or NOOBS 2.4 with the right fimware/bootcode to drive the PiZW hardware.
He said he's using NOOBS 2.4 so it *ought* to be sufficiently up to date for the Pi0W. However, updating the system is generally a good start.

crashboogie

Sun Apr 30, 2017 5:54 pm

The Ethernet 'gadget' was a good idea. But I set everything up and tried to connect and ended up connecting to my other pi on the network. Looked for the Pi Zero on the Device Manager and nothing on the COM ports or anything. Think I might just have to break down and buy the damn ethernet adapter. Anybody have one they want to send to me to borrow for an hour? I'll send it back right away lol

Jednorozec

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:01 pm

USB to Ethernet adapters are pretty cheap from China.
The most important leg of a three legged stool is the one that's missing.
It's called thinking. Why don't you try it sometime?

crashboogie

Sun Apr 30, 2017 7:48 pm

I actually had a thought that I'm not 100% will work or not, but I just ran the apt-get rpi-update, apt-get dist-upgrade, etc etc on my Pi3 and I'm copying the SD card and I'll just plug in the copied card into my Pizero. Any downfalls to this? Any command I need to enter to enable the wifi once it boots and such?

crashboogie

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 pm

nope, no love there either. Even the WPA supllicant conf file has all the network credentials already in there. Still says no interfaces. Should've just bought the Pi3 again.

DougieLawson

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:00 pm

If you run sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade that will get you a 4.9.24+ kernel and latest bootcode which is not a bad thing.

DO NOT run sudo rpi-update [ever] unless you completely understand what it does and know how to recover if it causes your RPi to not boot. rpi-update is used to get the testing/development kernel and bootcode and that can be exceedingly experimental and unstable.
Criticising any questions is banned on this forum.

Any DMs sent on Twitter will be answered next month.
All fake doctors are on my foes list.

Note: Any requirement to use a crystal ball or mind reading will result in me ignoring your question.

HawaiianPi

Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:52 pm

crashboogie wrote:nope, no love there either. Even the WPA supllicant conf file has all the network credentials already in there. Still says no interfaces. Should've just bought the Pi3 again.
Okay, obvious/silly question, are you sure it is a Pi-Zero-W and not just a Pi-Zero?

Also, are you using it with a keyboard, mouse and monitor, or are your trying to SSH into it?

Assuming you have keyboard, mouse and screen, and you are SURE it is a "W" version, then try the latest Raspbian Pixel image. NOOBS 2.4 *should* work out of the box, but it is a middle-man installer so more can go wrong when setting it up.

Grab the latest Raspbian Jessie with Pixel here: https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/raspbian/ and write it to your microSD card using Etcher: https://etcher.io/

Note that you don't even need to extract the image from the zip, Etcher can write the image directly from the archive.

You can verify the download integrity by comparing the SHA1 hash value with the one on the download page.
To do that in Windows I use a shell extension called, HashCheck: https://github.com/gurnec/HashCheck/releases/latest
(Right-click on file > Properties > Checksums tab)
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

crashboogie

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:02 pm

The Raspian w Pixel was actually the first OS I tried, then I moved to Noobs thinking the wifi didnt like Raspian for some reason. I would LOVE to be able to SSH into it but again no net connection and couldn't get the gadget thing suggested above to work. I did find this post and was going to give it a shot after some homework https://github.com/ccrisan/motioneyeos/issues/804 after that I'll likely just order the damn Micro USB to Ethernet adapter. So dumb that they're like "a ten dollar Raspberry Pi board!!!! as long as you have the 6 dozen adapters needed to get it setup" :x

HawaiianPi

Sun Apr 30, 2017 9:20 pm

crashboogie wrote:The Raspian w Pixel was actually the first OS I tried, then I moved to Noobs thinking the wifi didnt like Raspian for some reason...
So dumb that they're like "a ten dollar Raspberry Pi board!!!! as long as you have the 6 dozen adapters needed to get it setup" :x
If you have tried both the latest NOOBS and Raspbian image, and you are SURE it is a Pi-Zero-W, then it may be defective. Both of those systems should work out of the box with all models of the Raspberry Pi currently available.

And yes, I have mentioned many a time that the Pi3 is the best Pi to start with, because the Zero isn't much cheaper if you need all the extra bits to get it going (mini2HDMI, microUSB-OTG, hub, etc.). The Zero is really the end-point project computer you use to build your little doo-dad invention that was developed on your Pi3. It's a poor choice as a stand-alone computer. The Pi3 not only has standard size HDMI and USB (so you don't need adapters), it has 4 USB ports (so you don't need a hub), and both Ethernet & WiFi (again, less extra stuff needed), and it is 7-8 times faster than the Zero (newer, more efficient quad-core 1.2GHz vs older single core 1GHz).
My mind is like a browser. 27 tabs are open, 9 aren't responding,
lots of pop-ups...and where is that annoying music coming from?

Return to “General discussion”