TheBug

whats all the lingo about?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:03 am

Hi,
I am new to RasburreyPi. However I have used Unix for many years. Starting back the the early 80's Microware OS9 was my preferred OS. However, now I find an entirely new lingo. Bash, smash, crash, or whatever. Is it so difficult to use original verbiage? Some lingo has remained unchanged; xwindows, grep, emacs, and so on. I have spend several hours on trying to figure out what MagPi is. I thought is was a Linux command. Then discovered it was a publication. OOH! Now I here new terms, python and etc. Is python a command? I have no clue. My programming experience is c, c++, Delphi, VHDL, PLD, Ruby, Windows API and Maple, programming interfaces and programming languages. I know Ruby; but have no clue what python is. I even made Ruby run under Delphi. I had to convert the Ruby header file to pascal. It worked! Never used visual basic or scripts. I seriously wish there was a way to define the context of terms to help an old fart timer quickly get up to speed. :D

Nr90

Re: whats all the lingo about?

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:17 am

Maybe urbandictionary.com can help in some cases.
Their first result for python is:
1. python
Python is a powerful high-level interpreted language. Python's design is notably clean, elegant, and well thought through; it tends to attract the sort of programmers who find Perl grubby and exiguous.
#!/usr/bin/python
print "Hello World"

Obviously it will not return RPi specific info, but some general terms might be easily found there :)

JTrevorJ

Sun Sep 23, 2012 4:37 am

Please don't feed the trolls.

Nobody uses Unix "for many years" without using bash or knowing what Python is or without creating and using scrips.

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:38 am

Guessing at Trolling.

As previous poster said - anyone who has used Unix for years and says "My programming experience is c, c++, Delphi, VHDL, PLD, Ruby, Windows API and Maple, programming interfaces and programming languages. I know Ruby" but has NEVER heard of Python or Bash must be talking the mick. Or be lying. Sorry to the OP, if that is not the case, but there are plenty of resources on the net if you need more terminology.

Locking.
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Return to “General discussion”