User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 8:17 am

With the excellent new "turbo-mode" overclocking option in Raspbian, it seems that this setting is not compatible with all SD cards. Using a Transcent SD-HC 8gb class 10 you change the setting in raspi-config and reboot, wich instantly messes up /boot/config.txt
You can check this by typing;

Code: Select all

sudo nano /boot/config.txt
When the last line contains a large number of the same caracter like: @@@@@@@@@@@@@
Then you know the file(system) has been scrambled. I found out that when i use a diffrent SD card Sandisk Extreme III 2gb the "scrambling effect does not happen, so turbo-mode work's great!

As i (for one ;) will be looking for a new SD card, Can the people who can use the turbo-mode without problems (please check with nano) post the brand and type of there SD card here, so we know which ones work for sure?

Thanks!

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5501
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:57 am

Did you start from the new 2012-08-08-wheezy-raspbian image, or an older image that was upgraded?

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:31 am

dom wrote:Did you start from the new 2012-08-08-wheezy-raspbian image, or an older image that was upgraded?
I only used a fresh install with the new image from the download section (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian)

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5501
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:56 am

Ed Raket wrote: I only used a fresh install with the new image from the download section (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian)
So the corruption occurred when running raspi-config from the initial boot (i.e. before turbo was switched on?)

Can you repeat the experiment but hold down the shift key during the reboot after enabling turbo (it should print a message about shift key held down, disabling turbo).
This should mean turbo has never been enabled on that sdcard, and if there is corruption, it is not caused by turbo.

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:38 pm

dom wrote:
Ed Raket wrote: I only used a fresh install with the new image from the download section (2012-09-18-wheezy-raspbian)
So the corruption occurred when running raspi-config from the initial boot (i.e. before turbo was switched on?)

Can you repeat the experiment but hold down the shift key during the reboot after enabling turbo (it should print a message about shift key held down, disabling turbo).
This should mean turbo has never been enabled on that sdcard, and if there is corruption, it is not caused by turbo.
I did what you asked, set turbo in raspi-config and reboot with shift key pressed down. Config.txt is still scrambled....

grrrz
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:21 am

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:59 pm

I had the same bug,
Don't exactly known what solved it,
but what I did was run rasp-config and choose a different speed mode (950),
immediatly shutdown, booted and made sure the config.txt was ok (it was),
then again raspi-config,choose the turbo speed mode, immediate shutdown and boot again
and it worked.

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Posts: 5501
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:41 pm
Location: Cambridge

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:14 pm

Ed Raket wrote:I did what you asked, set turbo in raspi-config and reboot with shift key pressed down. Config.txt is still scrambled....
Okay, I think your issue is not overclock related. It would probably fail in the same way if you changed other setting like overscan using raspi-config.
Possibly "Transcent SD-HC 8gb class 10" needs to be considered as not compatible?

Anyone else using one of these cards either successfully or unsuccessfully?

User avatar
malakai
Posts: 1382
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:35 am
Contact: Website

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 2:25 pm

I don't know much about this but does this article help anyone.

It claims that some SD cards are "too fast for the stock kernel and the RPi doesn't boot."

http://dev.shyd.de/2012/07/raspberry-pi ... k-extreme/

This is an old article I wouldn't recommend following it as you would be downgrading possibly. Just put this here for the dev's to look into.

I have had issues where I set the keyboard to us but it didn't save until I ran raspi-config multiple times not sure if this is related but will test more to see.

Also looking into the card it does have features that could be interfering such as
Supports Error Correcting Code (ECC) to detect and correct errors

http://www.transcend-info.com/Press/ind ... &PrsNo=623
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 3:44 pm

dom wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:I did what you asked, set turbo in raspi-config and reboot with shift key pressed down. Config.txt is still scrambled....
Okay, I think your issue is not overclock related. It would probably fail in the same way if you changed other setting like overscan using raspi-config.
Possibly "Transcent SD-HC 8gb class 10" needs to be considered as not compatible?

Anyone else using one of these cards either successfully or unsuccessfully?
If the "development team" are willing to look in to this, i can send you the Transcent card for testing ;)

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:35 pm

dom wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:Anyone else using one of these cards either successfully or unsuccessfully?
I'm assuming Transcent is the same as Transcend, and not some dodgy knock-off? :)

If so, I'm also seeing corruption with a Transcend Class 2 as well as Class 10 (in OpenELEC with 750/300/+3 overclock settings). Both the Transcend Class 2 and Class 10 are error free with stock settings (also happy with just the ARM overclocked to 850 prior to the introduction of this new demand-based kernel). I didn't experience any problems with the Class 10 card running Raspbian while overclocked at 1000/500/450/+3 able to complete a Quake3 compilation error free.

eNORm
Posts: 21
Joined: Tue May 29, 2012 3:04 pm
Location: Norway, Oslo

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:44 pm

I can report that my Transcend class 10 8GB SD-card is not happy with too high clocks. These settings work ok though.

Code: Select all

arm_freq=840
core_freq=375
Expology.no

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:45 am

milhouse wrote:
dom wrote:
Ed Raket wrote:Anyone else using one of these cards either successfully or unsuccessfully?
I'm assuming Transcent is the same as Transcend, and not some dodgy knock-off? :)

If so, I'm also seeing corruption with a Transcend Class 2 as well as Class 10 (in OpenELEC with 750/300/+3 overclock settings). Both the Transcend Class 2 and Class 10 are error free with stock settings (also happy with just the ARM overclocked to 850 prior to the introduction of this new demand-based kernel). I didn't experience any problems with the Class 10 card running Raspbian while overclocked at 1000/500/450/+3 able to complete a Quake3 compilation error free.
Sorry i meant "Transcend" off course ;) So you expirience no problems with this card, with turbo-mode enabled?

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:48 am

eNORm wrote:I can report that my Transcend class 10 8GB SD-card is not happy with too high clocks. These settings work ok though.

Code: Select all

arm_freq=840
core_freq=375
Those "compatible" speeds are the same for my Transcend card. any higher and instant scrambling.

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sun Sep 23, 2012 10:52 am

Ed Raket wrote: Sorry i meant "Transcend" off course ;) So you expirience no problems with this card, with turbo-mode enabled?
With this card, I *do* get corruption, even with relatively minor overclocks (eg. 750/255, see Overclocking thread), but the corruption is most apparent in OpenELEC - I haven't really seen any corruption in Raspbian (except when the overclock has gone too far, which is fair enough).

pjc123
Posts: 922
Joined: Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:37 pm
Contact: Website

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:57 am

I am getting ready to order a second Transcend card because my current Class 6 one works flawlessly. I was thinking of getting a class 10 next time since the price is pretty much the same, so I am also interested in hearing peoples experiences with other cards, and whether this issue is really brand related, Class 10 related or something else.
My Raspberry Pi Project Page:

https://www.flaminghellmet.com/launch/

User avatar
Ed Raket
Posts: 164
Joined: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:28 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:47 pm

milhouse wrote:
Ed Raket wrote: Sorry i meant "Transcend" off course ;) So you expirience no problems with this card, with turbo-mode enabled?
With this card, I *do* get corruption, even with relatively minor overclocks (eg. 750/255, see Overclocking thread), but the corruption is most apparent in OpenELEC - I haven't really seen any corruption in Raspbian (except when the overclock has gone too far, which is fair enough).
Oh, o.k. that makes sence. I only have experience with raspbian where arm_freq=>800-850 couses problems.

Boomer
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Tue Sep 25, 2012 2:25 pm

Have the same problem with a Transcend Class 10 32G card that had previously had no problems and is listed as a compatible device. Will have to reformat and change the overclocking settings per the posts above.

Boomer
Posts: 80
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 3:22 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:12 am

Edited my config.txt with the setting set forth above and rebooted. Works so far....

J.

TikkenBaxter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:02 am

Hi,

I have set my config to "Turbo" and is running Openelec XBMC on it. Have a Sandisc Class 10 32Gb card which of course got corrupted all the time.

I solved MY problem (Which was running Turbo and XBMC without corrupted SD) by first setting up XBMC like I wanted, then configured config.txt. After first boot I Write-protected my SD card and it now of course run wonderful!

Is there a way to reconfigure OpenElec to use USB-memory for saving data perhaps?

Edit: It didn't corrupt with "normal" use when write protected, but when I for fun just tried to download Aeon Nox skin, it freezed and card is now corrupted.... am I missing something? How can it modify SD card if write protected?
Last edited by TikkenBaxter on Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

milhouse
Posts: 642
Joined: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:59 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Fri Sep 28, 2012 8:19 am

TikkenBaxter wrote: Is there a way to reconfigure OpenElec to use USB-memory for saving data perhaps?
Edit you cmdline.txt file to be as follows:

Code: Select all

boot=/dev/mmcblk0p1 disk=/dev/sda1 ssh quiet
and format your USB memory stick with a single ext4 partition named Storage, eg. "sudo mkfs.ext4 -L Storage /dev/sdX1" where X is the device identifier for your USB memory stick in Unix/Linux. You might even be able to format your memory stick within OpenELEC before making the switch from SD card to USB memory.

TikkenBaxter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:36 am

Thank you!

So far I have done skin changes in XBMC which in some case are pretty heavy. Before using USB-stick as disk, SD card went corrupt imidiatly and didn't boot. Now I have crashed the system several times and nothing happens to the SD card!

Hopefully it will keep that way until a better solution. :D

forenbenutzer
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:01 pm

Any news with more detailed information about the cause für filesystem scrambling?
I'm going to try a Verbatim Class 10 8GB card tomorrow. My Sony does not like the turbomode.
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

forenbenutzer
Posts: 148
Joined: Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:08 pm

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:53 pm

No success with Sony or Verbatim card. Tried a new power supply (2A / 10W) today. Didn't help.
Pitendo - Case And Emulator Project - http://edv-huber.com/index.php/problemloesungen/12-pitendo

itimpi
Posts: 1090
Joined: Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:44 am
Location: Potters Bar, United Kingdom
Contact: Website

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:20 am

TikkenBaxter wrote:Hi,
Edit: It didn't corrupt with "normal" use when write protected, but when I for fun just tried to download Aeon Nox skin, it freezed and card is now corrupted.... am I missing something? How can it modify SD card if write protected?
The write-protect switch on an SD card is not a physical protection - it is at best an indicator that can be sensed by the OS if the socket is set up to detect it being set. In fact on the Pi I do not think that it is even wired up so the OS does not know you set it and it thus has no effect.

TikkenBaxter
Posts: 8
Joined: Fri Sep 28, 2012 7:55 am

Re: Turbo-mode "proof" SD card

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:16 am

Okey. Well, it seams like it's not a problem for me anyway. Still keeps running without corruption in Turbomode, but of course with USB-stick as data disk.

Return to “General discussion”