andrum99

Kodi 17.1 from archive.raspberrypi.org - a few problems

Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:31 am

I see that Kodi 17.1 is now available in the Raspberry Pi repository at archive.raspberrypi.org for installation on Raspbian Jessie. Having been using Kodi 16.1 from archive.mene.za.net I thought I would give this a try. There are 4 problems I have noticed with the new version:

1. With the new UI I cannot use just a mouse on its own to navigate - I need to use a keyboard otherwise I can't get out of any of the settings sections. For some reason the back arrow that used to be present on the screen has disappeared. I guessed that using the backspace key on my keyboard would do the job of the old on-screen back arrow and luckily it does, otherwise I would have been stuck. Unfortunately this problem seems to be a result of the nice people at Kodi, rather than anything the RPF have done when packaging it up for the Pi.
2. No init script for automatic startup. With v16 we had an init script and /etc/default/kodi to specify some very basic startup options (which user to run as, 'nice' value etc). With 17 that seems to have been got rid of.
3. It ignores my IQAudio DAC that is attached. This is consistent with v16.0 that is available from mirrordirector.raspbian.org, but v16.1 from archive.mene.za.net gives me the option of using the DAC via ALSA, or the usual Raspberry Pi options (HDMI, analogue, HDMI and analogue). (I notice that the new version also includes an option for audio output via pulseaudio - I am guessing this is to support Bluetooth).
4. Console not restored on exit. With the 16.1 version from archive.mene.za.net (and IIRC the 16.0 version from mirrordirector.raspbian.org), if I exit Kodi the console display comes back fine. With v17.1 from archive.raspberrypi.org the console just goes blank and stays blank.

I've filed bugs for 3 and 4 - see https://github.com/RPi-Distro/repo/issues.

Rascas

Re: Kodi 17.1 from archive.raspberrypi.org - a few problems

Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks for your input.

1- Ths is related to the new skin Estuary, in settings if you want to go back, click on "System", on the top left corner.

2- This can be included, in the meanwhile you can use the old init script, or create a systemd one.

3 - You have to configure your DAC manually with pulseaudio. Or disable PulseAudio and it will use ALSA, it is only needed to play audio via Bluettoth, and by disabling/removing it you will also notice that Youtube videos will play better in Chromium (without offsync audio). We can take a look on how to automize this.

4 - How are you staring Kodi ? From the icon in Pixel desktop (or other desktop), from terminal, with which command ? If you are using another user than Pi, you have to give your user the right permissions for everything to work fine.

andrum99

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:07 pm

Rascas wrote:Thanks for your input.
Thanks for your speedy reply. Are you the RPF's package maintainer for Kodi?
Rascas wrote:1- Ths is related to the new skin Estuary, in settings if you want to go back, click on "System", on the top left corner.
Oops - I hadn't spotted that - that does indeed work - thanks!
Rascas wrote:2- This can be included, in the meanwhile you can use the old init script, or create a systemd one.
The old package on mirrordirector.raspbian.org includes an init script, IIRC, so the lack of one in 17.1 is likely a regression. Either way, it would be good to get some sort of startup script included in the new RPF package.
Rascas wrote:3 - You have to configure your DAC manually with pulseaudio. Or disable PulseAudio and it will use ALSA, it is only needed to play audio via Bluettoth, and by disabling/removing it you will also notice that Youtube videos will play better in Chromium (without offsync audio). We can take a look on how to automize this.
How do I disable PulseAudio? I can't find any system service for it on my Pi 3. Ideally Kodi would allow me to choose from both PulseAudio and ALSA devices.
Rascas wrote:4 - How are you staring Kodi ? From the icon in Pixel desktop (or other desktop), from terminal, with which command ? If you are using another user than Pi, you have to give your user the right permissions for everything to work fine.
My mistake - I was starting Kodi from a remote SSH session. If I type "kodi" into a remote SSH session connected to my Pi 3 then Kodi comes up on the Pi 3 as expected. When it exits, the console goes blank and stays blank. If it type "kodi" into the Pi 3 at the "text" console (I'm not booting into X), then upon exiting Kodi the console is restored correctly.

Rascas

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:15 pm

andrum99 wrote:Thanks for your speedy reply. Are you the RPF's package maintainer for Kodi?
Yes
andrum99 wrote:The old package on mirrordirector.raspbian.org includes an init script, IIRC, so the lack of one in 17.1 is likely a regression. Either way, it would be good to get some sort of startup script included in the new RPF package.
Not a regression, that was manually included in the old Kodi packages, which weren't maintained by me. Will include in the next Kodi version.
andrum99 wrote:How do I disable PulseAudio? I can't find any system service for it on my Pi 3. Ideally Kodi would allow me to choose from both PulseAudio and ALSA devices.
That's not possible, you either use PulseAudio or Alsa. What we can do is to see if there is a way to automatically configure PulseAudio for one card. I am not much familiar with PulseAudio, I don't use it myself, have to search about this. If you remove pulseaudio package, Alsa will be used instead.

gkreidl

Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:48 am

@rascas:
Is the new kodi 17.1 versions from the RPF repository built from the popcornmix backports?
(I'd like to update my tutorials).
Minimal Kiosk Browser (kweb)
Slim, fast webkit browser with support for audio+video+playlists+youtube+pdf+download
Optional fullscreen kiosk mode and command interface for embedded applications
Includes omxplayerGUI, an X front end for omxplayer

Rascas

Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:44 am

gkreidl wrote:@rascas:
Is the new kodi 17.1 versions from the RPF repository built from the popcornmix backports?
(I'd like to update my tutorials).
From here, which is popcornmix backports + a very few tweaks/patches to work better in Raspbian:
https://github.com/nsenica/xbmc/tree/krypton_new

andrum99

Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:21 pm

Can we have a Kodi package for Stretch? The one in the Raspbian repo is a bit broken.

Rascas

Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 pm

Yes, the latest Kodi stable version at the time will be available on Raspbian, but it may take some days to put everything together for Stretch, packaging it to work good on the Pi with all the bells and whistles is not something that you do in a couple of hours ;) If Kodi on Raspbian is important for you, don't update for now, just wait a little bit.

Return to “General discussion”