brisk

Don't trust build-in SD card slot, use an USB SD card reader

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:01 pm

My thinkpad W510 has a build in SD card reader. I was using it to write the image to my adata 32G card... it always fails at 75%, then stuck there forever. Tried to format the card (took a LONG time), still no go.... finally, grabbed the free SD card came with my Raspberry Pi order from diygadget.com, to my surprise, no problem at all. I was able to flash the whole raspberry Pi image on my adata 32G card w/o any issue!!! Thanks diygadget, otherwise i would never figure out the problem.

So, if you have problem flashing your card using build in sd card slot, especially thinkpad W510, try to use an external usb sd card. It will solve your problem.

raspberrypiguy1

Re: Don't trust build-in SD card slot, use an USB SD card re

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:04 pm

I had the same problem and I used a external USB card reader which worked perfectly! Just an old one I had lying around though... :)

The Raspberry Pi Guy
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

dom
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Agreed. Built in sdcard slot on Dell Latitude laptop is useless. It cannot read a partitioned sdcard and flashing images doesn't work.

NickT

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:27 pm

I'm afraid that I take the opposite view. My built in reader/writer works fine but I've had two (very cheap) USB devices fail on me. One of them wrecked an SD card in the process. Having said that, I have one SD card which the built in device doesn't recognise but the external one from Poundland does.

I've come to the conclusion that I'll never understand the vagaries of SD cards!

JoeDaStudd

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:36 pm

A lot of the built in card readers are only SD not SDHC which is a pain as most SD cards are HC now.

jamesh

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:52 pm

dom wrote:Agreed. Built in sdcard slot on Dell Latitude laptop is useless. It cannot read a partitioned sdcard and flashing images doesn't work.
Is that why the Dell docking station clamps are designed to prevent access to the SD card slot?
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed.
I've been saying "Mucho" to my Spanish friend a lot more lately. It means a lot to him.

Lob0426

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:20 pm

The reader in my Dell XPS 8300 works fine. And the one in my E-machines (ACER) netbook works really well. Now WIN7 will only let me write an image with Win32DiskImager. I cannot read an image. And both these have WIN7. I will have to try it on my XPS420 with 64bit Vista pro. Maybe I can read it with that.
512MB version 2.0 as WordPress Server
Motorola Lapdock with Pi2B
Modded Rev 1.0 with pin headers at USB

http://rich1.dyndns.tv/
(RS)Allied ships old stock to reward its Customers for long wait!

twocvbloke

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:25 pm

The SD card slot in my Toshiba Portege M300 (old hat by today's standards) quite happily reads and writes to SD, SDHC and MMC cards (Do people even use MMC these days??), it wrote the 8GB SDHC card for my Pi happily, and the Pi started up and runs fine now I found my keyboard and mouse for it... :)

Nr90

Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:05 pm

Both the SD slots in my macbook air and asus K55A work fine.

Strawberry_Monty

Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:33 pm

DON'T TRUST

(sorry the caps)

The Micro SD with a "normal" adapter (You know - those small SD's for phones that is sold with accompaning SD adapter).

Those may be notorious unreliable due to looseness and/or bad contacts in the slot..

howddam - where's the crying smiley

Dweeber

Fri Sep 21, 2012 9:02 pm

Not my experience.... I have a bunch of MicroUSB 16GB cards with SDcard holders. I do all the work with the notebook putting the MicroUSB into a thumb drive.... and then stick them in the SDcard to put into the RPi.

I don't own any SDcards anymore that are just SDcards. Even for cameras.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

cutterjohn

Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:29 am

Dweeber wrote:Not my experience.... I have a bunch of MicroUSB 16GB cards with SDcard holders. I do all the work with the notebook putting the MicroUSB into a thumb drive.... and then stick them in the SDcard to put into the RPi.

I don't own any SDcards anymore that are just SDcards. Even for cameras.
Me too. I never bothered to buy SD or miniSD cards, just always used adapters for the few devices that I own that take those card sizes.

Additionally the builtin bazillion-in-one card reader/writer on MSI GT725 is great, and I too, have had many failed OOB and/or outright flakey USB card reader/writers. (Although I didn't bother to buy one(yet maybe) when I built my new desktop late last June...but the nb usually writes my cards)

malakai

Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:03 am

I would think if your having issue with a built in card reader heading to your manufacturers website and looking for a fix should resolve the issue. Anti Virus software could interfere if it's trying to scan the file as it's being written in theory this could be causing problems. I have a Dell and it's built in SyncUp software if running won't let me eject the card or USB drives for that matter even though they aren't set for Sync there are a lot of things that can interfere start with updating drivers first. But anything that works in the end is the solution :)
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Return to “General discussion”