Strawberry_Monty

Disturbing signatures

Fri Sep 21, 2012 12:53 pm

Maybe im too old, manybe im too conservative, BUT

When I browse down through the different topics, I get more or less distressed by the ever repeating singnatures.

And the singatures are not enhanced in any way (by color - god forbid - or strong lines or similar) to help the eye to skip, but instead blend nice and confusingly into the more important writings.

In some way it's kinda old fashion to use sigs - i guess. We allready have the persons avatars to the right (and thanks god they are not animated), but with all this the show is on, while the factuality is a techical forum and not a showtime...

And sometimes the signatures fill more and are even longer than what the person writes...

edit: I know this my be a little controversial because some might love their personal touch, but remember it's for the convenience to others..

So do something about it - admins !
Last edited by Strawberry_Monty on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RaTTuS

Re: Disturbing signatures

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:02 pm

Train your eyes to ignore them ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

Strawberry_Monty

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:05 pm

RaTTuS wrote:Train your eyes to ignore them ;)
not possible - Yours are precisely a good example when someone fill up with empty lines up (or life history) to get attention.... -> showtime....

Remember it's not a personal issue, just convenience for others...

raspberrypiguy1

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:07 pm

Personally I don't see your problem... I think they are good and can be quite amusing!

The Raspberry Pi Guy

Wow just found out how to change your font colour! :lol:
Matt, The Raspberry Pi Guy YouTube channel, author of Learn Robotics with Raspberry Pi, available now: http://mybook.to/raspirobots, Computer Science & Electronics Undergraduate at The University of Edinburgh

Strawberry_Monty

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:14 pm

raspberrypiguy1 wrote:Personally I don't see your problem... I think they are good and can be quite amusing!

The Raspberry Pi Guy

Wow just found out how to change your font colour! :lol:
Sure - but if someone and others with a longer sig. post 10 times we have a topic that is allmost spammed

malakai

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:19 pm

You can disable signatures in your user settings :mrgreen: But I already put in a request to have that removed :evil:

View my signature see my awesomeness be my slave bow to the power of RPi
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

panik

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:24 pm

I have to agree with Strawberry_Monty that it's hard to distinguish between the post itself and the signature. The fact that the signatures are offset to the left of the post certainly doesn't help.

I could do without them.

mikerr

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:28 pm

I've not seen any OTT signatures on here yet TBH,
maybe have a limit to 2 lines maximum ?

Just turn them off in your control panel if you don't want to see them.

Plus change forum skin to prosilver, which is much better to see the line between sigs and content than the default
Last edited by mikerr on Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Android app - Raspi Card Imager - download and image SD cards - No PC required !

malakai

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:29 pm

Here
Attachments
Untitled.jpg
Untitled.jpg (18.63 KiB) Viewed 5103 times
http://www.raspians.com - always looking for content feel free to ask to have it posted. Or sign up and message me to become a contributor to the site. Raspians is not affiliated with the Raspberry Pi Foundation. (RPi's + You = Raspians)

Strawberry_Monty

Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:50 pm

THANKS

For telling me that signatures are options - I should have checked - lol :?

BUT

I really not against signatures - Just only when it get's too dominating...

SO

Maybe - limit the display to - say 2 lines without any formatting / no blanks before/middle/after, so ppl can write their link to homepage, show shoesize etc. BUT WITH a link (icon) to a extended signature where thay can tell their lifestory...

jamesh
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator
Raspberry Pi Engineer & Forum Moderator

Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:45 pm

I doubt we will change them (tbh I hardly notice them in Prosilver theme), but if anyone comes across one they find is too much, please use the report post option and I shall use some sort of montecarlo method to determine whether to enforce a change or not!
Principal Software Engineer at Raspberry Pi (Trading) Ltd.
Contrary to popular belief, humorous signatures are allowed. Here's an example...
“I own the world’s worst thesaurus. Not only is it awful, it’s awful."

piglet

Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Even if there'd not been an option in the control panel, you can have full control over your browser and how your pages display - fonts, colours, sizes, visibility etc.

I use firefox plugin stylish to change/remove all kinds of features on web pages I use a lot.

For example for signatures here you could just set up a rule like this to remove them:

Code: Select all

@namespace url(http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml);
@-moz-document domain("www.raspberrypi.org") {
.signature {display: none;}
}
Alternatively you can change the signature style to leave it in place but make it less in-your-face:

Code: Select all

.signature {color: grey;}
This is how I have them by the way...

If you're reasonably good at coding then you can also completely rewrite website output to your every whim using Greasemonkey....but that does take rather more effort.

Strawberry_Monty

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:18 pm

ooh - tx little piggy for such an advanced solution..

but consider that not everyone is programmers (yet) and that You should'nt have to configure/scripting for each and every and site (allthough Your example is quite generel).

I guess that we could close his topic...

I can't recall who - but someone once said: keep it simple

twocvbloke

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:27 pm

Strawberry_Monty wrote:I can't recall who - but someone once said: keep it simple
If everything was kept simple, we'd never have advanced as far as we have done as a species... :lol:

tufty

Fri Sep 21, 2012 4:56 pm

Strawberry_Monty wrote:You should'nt have to configure/scripting for each and every and site
Unfortunately, you do have to do that. It's a 'feature' of the web.

I have to say, though, sigs here are quite restrained. I accidentally browsed to a forum today on my android tab and watched as the vast quantity of enormous animated gif banner sigs (sometimes 3 or 4 par post) drove the browser into the floor.

Simon

Jongoleur
Location: O'erlooking the sea, and all those effin windfarms...

Fri Sep 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Must admit, bonkers sigs have never bothered me, even in those far off days of creative ASCII art.....

There's no point in denying others "creativity" when its straightforward to switch off whatever is a personal peeve, just grin and bear it. :-)
I'm just a bouncer, splatterers do it with more force.....

Dweeber

Sat Sep 22, 2012 4:20 am

jamesh wrote:I doubt we will change them (tbh I hardly notice them in Prosilver theme), ...
Forgot how much of a relief it was when I switched over to the Prosilver theme. The default theme is missing some basic functionality, a bit spacy etc...

Most signatures I've seen have been fairly informative. Would like the ability to turn on URL's but I can understand why they are off.
Dweeber A.K.A. Kevin...
My RPI Info Pages including Current Setup - http://rpi.tnet.com

RaTTuS

Sat Sep 22, 2012 7:40 am

prosilver FTW ... I think I may update my sig again for that ;)
How To ask Questions :- http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
WARNING - some parts of this post may be erroneous YMMV

1QC43qbL5FySu2Pi51vGqKqxy3UiJgukSX
Covfefe

abishur

Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:22 pm

As a couple people have said, the best solution at this point in time in to swap to prosilver. I want to stress that this is not, to the best of my knowledge, a permanent solution. There are several outstanding tweaks that *really* need to happen to the default forum theme, but even "simple" fixes require downtime and an available chunk of time from the person implementing the change. Getting a time where there two times meet is especially hard.

So by all means let us know when you encounter things like this that need to be changed, but please bare it patiently while we try to get time to implement the change :-)
Dear forum: Play nice ;-)

adlambert

Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 am

I've always seen sigs as pointless clutter full of cheesy hackneyed clichés and useless info about what computers people use etc. I switched them off months ago, but it doesn't help much when you hop in to the forum for a quick browse and you are not logged in.

Return to “General discussion”